PDA

View Full Version : Rig Search

MR.ZAP
09-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Just for grins (and future reference), where is the best place to search for legit rigs that are for sale? Have we all just decided to resort to CL? Also, what is an acceptable price? Every one I have come across online that's cheap but actually looks like it could tear up some trails seems to be around $4500. Most of what's under that price seems janky. :confused2

Sparling
09-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Depends on what you're looking for. Keep an eye on pirate and texas4x4.org

Anything offroad oriented will be on there. You really have to go look at them. Some are cheap because they are janky and some are cheap because they just aren't that built. What are you looking for?

MR.ZAP
09-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Nothing in particular. I'm just browsing around and was curious as to where everyone else did their shopping. I don't know if it is feasible, but I would like to snag a rig about a year from now.

AggieTJ2007
09-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Texas4x4 is probably the best if you don't want to travel to far and want something decently built. Craigslist is decent but there is alot of crap to sort through.

Pirate4x4 if you are looking for a slightly higher end rig (10k+) and willing to travel to get it or have it shipped

TdmayfieldIV
09-13-2013, 02:30 AM
most tamorites build their own rigs.....

robertf03
09-13-2013, 07:30 AM
thrifty nickel

Dallas Times Herald classifieds

I wouldn't touch a vehicle from Pirate

It will either be $20k plus or poop welded to more poop

DRAGOONRANCH
09-13-2013, 07:34 AM
I hear CB Jeeps in Wylie is a good place to start.

MR.ZAP
09-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Hey Flem, I'm curious what you would say about buying an old Rover being as you are the end all to Landy knowledge around here?

I dig CB Jeeps, but those guys know what the value of a Jeep is. Sadly, that means most of their vehicles they have for sale are purty expensive.

Sparling
09-13-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm thinking you're in the market for a Zj like Taylor has or maybe an explorer or 4runner or maybe a Toyota pick up. Something with a lot of bolt ons and something that's easy to get parts for. I'm guessing you need rrdh status too.

MR.ZAP
09-13-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm thinking you're in the market for a Zj like Taylor has or maybe an explorer or 4runner or maybe a Toyota pick up. Something with a lot of bolt ons and something that's easy to get parts for. I'm guessing you need rrdh status too.

Exactly! I'm hoping that RRDH will not be necessary. The main issue is gonna be storage since I will most likely be in Dallas or another city here soon. I just don't wanna buy something and the engine ****s out on me or I grenade a diff on the first run or something.

robertf03
09-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Hey Flem, I'm curious what you would say about buying an old Rover being as you are the end all to Landy knowledge around here?

I dig CB Jeeps, but those guys know what the value of a Jeep is. Sadly, that means most of their vehicles they have for sale are purty expensive.

If you know the make you want I'd go to an enthusiasts forum and follow the classifieds for a few months and wait for someone who needs money bad.

How old of a rover are you talking? Theres kind of 3 generations. Leaf springs, coil springs, independent suspension. I know nothing about the indy stuff and very little about the leaf sprung stuff.

Sparling
09-13-2013, 11:46 AM
If you don't rrdh, you have to either get a tow rig and a trailer or bum a ride from somebody all the time. I think any of those listed would be nice and even if something did blow up there are a bunch in the pick and pull yards. Also look at jeffs jeep, he drives it everywhere and it did some pretty amazing stuff on small street tires at TORR last weekend.

MR.ZAP
09-13-2013, 11:57 AM
If you know the make you want I'd go to an enthusiasts forum and follow the classifieds for a few months and wait for someone who needs money bad.

How old of a rover are you talking? Theres kind of 3 generations. Leaf springs, coil springs, independent suspension. I know nothing about the indy stuff and very little about the leaf sprung stuff.

Where does the coil spring era start and end? Also, how is the reliability?

If you don't rrdh, you have to either get a tow rig and a trailer or bum a ride from somebody all the time. I think any of those listed would be nice and even if something did blow up there are a bunch in the pick and pull yards. Also look at jeffs jeep, he drives it everywhere and it did some pretty amazing stuff on small street tires at TORR last weekend.

I agree with you on vehicle selection. I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland now with the 5.7, so I'm set on towing. I was checking out trailers the other day and brand new BigTex ones didn't seem too expensive. Don't know how great they are, though... haha I dig Jeff's Jeep, but Jeff has also built that thing up to where it works optimally as it sits. My conundrum is do I go more stock (old f250, land rover, xj, zj, whatever) and go from there, or just buy something built and dive in? Not that it matters right now.

Sparling
09-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Don't do a full size truck. Way too many headaches and they cost a ton more to get where you want them

MR.ZAP
09-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Don't do a full size truck. Way too many headaches and they cost a ton more to get where you want them

Fair enough... I don't know why, but dammit I want to wheel a regular cab full-size.

Sparling
09-13-2013, 12:07 PM
If that's what you want, get a regular cab 1 ton to start with. They are just really big to fit through some trails.

bcolman
09-13-2013, 12:08 PM
look at what your jeep can tow before you make a decision, also talk to people that have towed with them to see what your top weight should be, i would not want to tow a full size behind a grand cherokee on a long haul even if the specs say the vehicle can handle it

MR.ZAP
09-13-2013, 12:09 PM
look at what your jeep can tow before you make a decision, also talk to people that have towed with them to see what your top weight should be, i would not want to tow a full size behind a grand cherokee on a long haul even if the specs say the vehicle can handle it

Good point!

robertf03
09-13-2013, 12:27 PM
What happened to your wrangler?

KrazyKarl02
09-13-2013, 01:09 PM
If that's what you want, get a regular cab 1 ton to start with. They are just really big to fit through some trails.

Pure lies, You can see how the body was on the klogger, it was in great shape...

Another good board to watch is hardline, but the prices tend to be kind of like Pirate.

I think it depends on what your ultimate goal is, if you want something you can drive on the street and do moderate trails, I think full size is fine, you can get a bronco or blazer that have lots of support to lift 3" or so and run 35's. If your goal is to have a trail only vehicle for running difficult trails I would go with something light and narrow, like a jeep or yota.

DRAGOONRANCH
09-13-2013, 01:10 PM

Sorry, sarcasm font didn't work...

Full size is fun, but can get spensive to make reliable. They are heavy, and would not want to tow one without a true toerig. It can be done, but I don't like doing 50 up little hills!

MR.ZAP
09-13-2013, 01:39 PM
What happened to your wrangler?

Had to give it back to my pops. It is sitting in my driveway and won't be seeing a trail for a very long time. That is why I am coming up with other plans haha

I guess I will have to postpone my dream of having a beastly full-size trail rig. Something like this is what I really want.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/4012328969.html

Tasty... but would obviously be a work in progress sort of thing. I'm not a big Chevy guy, but that era of GM trucks just makes me smile. Regular cab, long bed, lifted. Perfection. Buuuut probably should stick with smaller and cheaper vehicles :D

MR.ZAP
09-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Sammy??? (http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/4000050190.html)

Sparling
09-13-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure you're ready for the time commitment to refining the body on a fullsize to look like eds beast or the klogger. Plus that 6.2 ain't no 7.3

Samurai's have little bitty motors, but a bigger aftermarket.

MR.ZAP
09-13-2013, 02:33 PM
These two are more my price range and decently modified.

Wagoneer (http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4061930985.html)

XTerra (http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4011349573.html)

robertf03
09-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Niether

Look for something with factory efi and solid axles

Sparling
09-13-2013, 03:41 PM
I vote 5.0 explorer with d44 SAS and 9" swap. Detroit in the 9" and an auburn in the 44 with 35s and never break anything. Or a zj

KrazyKarl02
09-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Wagoneers are heavy, why not do a cherokee, not the most glamorous ride, but they are f'ing cheap, you put 33's or 35's on them, lock them front and rear and they kick arse. They come fuel injected, get the 4.0 engine, it has plenty of power and they are solid axle. Look at BDR's, it goes 90% of the places all rigs go.

MR.ZAP
09-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Sweet, thanks for the help guys!

robertf03
09-13-2013, 05:07 PM
I'd go with something with a real frame

wrangler
88-95 range rover
94-99 disco.
FJ80
That 1 year of toyota truck/4 runner that wasn't a turd (84? 85?)
or some big gay fullsize

KrazyKarl02
09-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Stick with 33's or 35's as a max and I think a Cherokee is ok

Sharpe
09-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Take up golf.

jasonjuch
09-13-2013, 07:12 PM
If you're looking at a year from now I may be in the market to sell my toyota pickup around then. I'm finishing law school Jully 2014 and the Army wants me to go to Virginia.

jasonjuch
09-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Either way I suggest 80's toyota pickup. you can buy those street legal for 2 or 3 grand that run great

MR.ZAP
09-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Nice!

colman
09-13-2013, 11:46 PM
if you like the cucv you can put a turbo on that 6.2 for cheap. its almost bolt on factory stuff from a 6.5 diesel chevy

DRAGOONRANCH
09-16-2013, 07:57 AM
if you like the cucv you can put a turbo on that 6.2 for cheap. its almost bolt on factory stuff from a 6.5 diesel chevy

This. It's slow on the roads, but if done right makes for a great rig. I loved pigpen. Was not the quietest rig on the trail, but was cool as hell in my eyes.

Sparling
09-16-2013, 04:03 PM
www.texas4x4.org/sale-24/feeler-parting-out-4-cucvs-57425/

I don't know what the different models are but this guy has 2 trucks and a blazer for sale.

MR.ZAP
09-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Educate me. Are we talking about military trucks here?

Edit: Just searched. This is exactly what i would want if I went with a truck.

Sparling
09-16-2013, 09:09 PM
It'd be a good starting point. I'm pretty sure they come with a 60 up front 14 bolt in the back with a Detroit and higher gears. The diesel as heavy and slow as it is will run through anything and be better than a carbureted gas motor in an older truck when you get into the off camber stuff. Plus you can turn it up and black smoke! :flipoff2:

MR.ZAP
09-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Haha dude, I'm just pumped about the beefy axles and detroits in the rear.

colman
09-17-2013, 01:22 AM
if you get a m1028 it also has a limited slip in the truck. i currently have a m1008. paid 1200 for it in running stock condition. its like i bought a 60 and they threw in a truck. are they badass stock no but used parts are all over yes they are heavy and big and wide but you can find them cheap with low miles. mine has 23k orig miles, granted they were prob hard miles but still. no ac, no overdrive and no turbo are the biggest downfalls if you want to drive it semi regular but all can be fixed with stock parts.

granted now i have 5" lift, 37's, crossover and hydroassist and am working on some other upgrades but i had most of those parts laying around from projects over the years.

ZJ96
09-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Full Size
Beefy axles
Cheap
Tasty
"Looks" like it could tear up some trails

... Sounds like you're looking for a bronco that's been cut in half and butt welded back together.. Check Bryan Iron

MR.ZAP
09-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Negative haha

Hellbent
09-17-2013, 09:08 PM
buy my jeep

MR.ZAP
09-17-2013, 10:16 PM
If it's sub $5000 ;)

eight
09-18-2013, 11:14 PM
I'll sell you a sidekick with 9k miles cheap. 120hp and has a real frame.

BroncoJo
09-18-2013, 11:57 PM
I'll sell you a sidekick with 9k miles cheap. 120hp and has a real frame.

How cheap?

DRAGOONRANCH
09-19-2013, 07:51 AM
http://waco.craigslist.org/sno/4045889543.html

It's up here in my neck of the woods I think, so I could probably go look at it for you. The Brunes may come slit my throat while I'm sleeping though...

MR.ZAP
09-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Now that's cheap! I'm not going to be making any moves just yet.

Sparling
09-19-2013, 09:05 AM
And sam can teach you how to take the shafts out at camp with the most random assortment of tools known to man, so long as you have a stool to sit on. :flipoff2:

eight
09-22-2013, 08:39 AM
How cheap?

$500

Seth
09-22-2013, 08:28 PM
is that the one with no title?

MR.ZAP
09-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Damn!

eight
09-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Si. Been thinking of pulling the doors off and making it a farm vehicle, but not sure I'd actually use it there.

MR.ZAP
09-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Is it 100% stock?

eight
09-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Camo paint. Broken rear axle shaft, busted rear window, some mouse chewing of unnecessary wires. New fuel pump. Some of the valves in the engine will stick open, they free up after a few minutes, gets better if you use it often. 1.8l 16 valve engine, 5 speed, 5.12 gears.

Replace the shaft, add 2" lift, and chunk the doors and it'll be ready to wheel. Has 265/75/16 tires.

Radio works, think the AC could easily be made to work, doesn't smell bad.

MR.ZAP
09-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Nice, if I was in a position to spend money right now I might take you up on it.

TdmayfieldIV
09-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Dunno if you already explained this, haven't read through the whole thing.

Not meaning anything by this, but I really think a jeep is perfect for you. They're the easiest to make capable without having all of the expensive tools/metal fab equipment. Just do what JB is doing.

Having a big old truck is cool, but it's really just a pain in the ass. It's too big to fit on trails even if you cut it in half, they always break down, and most of them are pretty heavy.

If I were you I would buy a tj, bolt on some beat off jeep axles with lockers, longfields, lockers, 37"s, beadlocks, armor, go wheeling.

Whatever you do, don't try to be unique, it just means you have to make your own parts. Ask me how I know.

MR.ZAP
09-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Haha good point, Tommy.

Fredo
09-24-2013, 12:45 AM
http://waco.craigslist.org/sno/4045889543.html

It's up here in my neck of the woods I think, so I could probably go look at it for you. The Brunes may come slit my throat while I'm sleeping though...

Now that's cheap! I'm not going to be making any moves just yet.

I must be out of the loop on Scout prices. I thought that was a bit high.

A '73 is going to have a Dana 30 front, so you'd need to get really fast at changing front shafts.

FJAggie07
09-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Whatever you do, don't try to be unique, it just means you have to make your own parts. Ask me how I know.

That's a wise thing there.

MR.ZAP
09-24-2013, 11:50 AM
I must be out of the loop on Scout prices. I thought that was a bit high.

A '73 is going to have a Dana 30 front, so you'd need to get really fast at changing front shafts.

Ah, gotcha. Certainly don't want to have to replace an axle right off the bat.

Sparling
09-24-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm thinking a CUCV is best for you. Start out with tons, and a detroit, don't need to figure out fuel injection, there's plenty of bolt on chevy truck stuff. All you'd have to do is maybe some flexier springs, bigger tires, and some fender clearancing. That and on the off chance you need parts, almost every auto parts store ever has chevy truck parts in stock.

MR.ZAP
09-24-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm thinking a CUCV is best for you. Start out with tons, and a detroit, don't need to figure out fuel injection, there's plenty of bolt on chevy truck stuff. All you'd have to do is maybe some flexier springs, bigger tires, and some fender clearancing. That and on the off chance you need parts, almost every auto parts store ever has chevy truck parts in stock.

These are all valid points! That being said, are you suggesting to stay away from the Dodge variants?

KrazyKarl02
09-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Dunno if you already explained this, haven't read through the whole thing.

Not meaning anything by this, but I really think a jeep is perfect for you. They're the easiest to make capable without having all of the expensive tools/metal fab equipment. Just do what JB is doing.

Having a big old truck is cool, but it's really just a pain in the ass. It's too big to fit on trails even if you cut it in half, they always break down, and most of them are pretty heavy.

If I were you I would buy a tj, bolt on some beat off jeep axles with lockers, longfields, lockers, 37"s, beadlocks, armor, go wheeling.

This is the most intelligent thing Tum Tum has ever wrote, for once I can not disagree with any of his opinion, except his sexual orientation.

Fredo
09-24-2013, 08:15 PM

That's a wise thing there.

I hope Tommy was being sarcastic. Unique isn't bad. Who wants to just bolt a bunch of stuff onto a rig? That would be like buying a car and just throwing a burning pile of money at it to go fast. Yes, it's fast, but is it cool and unique? No ****ing way.

KrazyKarl02
09-24-2013, 08:25 PM
I hope Tommy was being sarcastic. Unique isn't bad. Who wants to just bolt a bunch of stuff onto a rig? That would be like buying a car and just throwing a burning pile of money at it to go fast. Yes, it's fast, but is it cool and unique? No ****ing way.

I'm gonna hi-jack this, but for me, I like wheeling, that's what I enjoy about this, not making suspensions, putting t-cases in, etc... Now my Chevelle, I agree with Fred, it's where your passion is, unfortunately building and then destroying the klogger kept me from my decade long Chevelle project.

colman
09-24-2013, 08:48 PM
cucv, shackle flip rear, 52's in front, trim fenders and you can have 40's no problem. but its heavy and idk if his car should tow that....

TdmayfieldIV
09-24-2013, 11:03 PM

If I hadn't decided to cut a perfectly good bronco in half maybe I would have enough money and time for something to make it work better.

mudtoy67
09-25-2013, 07:56 AM
If I hadn't decided to cut a perfectly good bronco in half maybe I would have enough money and time for something to make it work better.

I don't think you see what Fred did there... :flipoff2:

KrazyKarl02
09-25-2013, 07:57 AM
If I hadn't decided to cut a perfectly good bronco in half

Lies, no such thing as a perfectly good bronco.

Sparling
09-25-2013, 08:20 AM

What did cutting it in half cost you? If anything it saved you money on tube.

FJAggie07
09-25-2013, 10:36 AM

Unique is expensive. Expense for a fresh out of college student may not be the best option if all they want to do is wheel.

If you have the money, time and ability to be unique more power to the person.

robertf03
09-25-2013, 11:49 AM
What did cutting it in half cost you? If anything it saved you money on tube.

He won't get stuck between trees when following me in Clayton

BroncoJo
09-25-2013, 02:28 PM

Are you sure about that?

TdmayfieldIV
09-25-2013, 04:43 PM

My forward motion was only temporarily interupted. The trees yeilded to the bronco.

robertf03
09-25-2013, 06:42 PM
I'll have to replace my rearview mirror, there might be something wrong with it.

Sharpe
09-25-2013, 07:29 PM
In all fairness I don't think we stopped to see how he got unwedged.

TdmayfieldIV
09-25-2013, 08:11 PM
skinny pedal

tommy53002
01-29-2014, 10:10 AM
K5 on tons with an LS1 for $4,250. OBO. Seems like a good deal for a rig that is ready to wheel.
http://www.texas4x4.org/complete-rigs-sale-136/1983-k5-tons-ls1-65473/