PDA

View Full Version : 3-link/ Steering question

kyle
02-12-2014, 07:43 PM
Alright guys, currently running "inverted T" (draglink to tierod) steering with GM 1 ton TREs.

Getting ready to start my 3 link and wanting to make sure I can get panhard bar and draglink on same angle. With my current steering set up I'm going to be squeezed real tight for space and proper angle.

I'm thinking about switching my steering to heims and on the passenger side running a single bolt through the knuckle with tie rod mounting below the knuckle and draglink on top. This would free up some space and allow a little bit of front stretch.

BTW, its a full width 1/2 ton HP44 with stock knuckles. I really don't want hi-steer so I can keep this rig somewhat low, and trying to keep from notching the frame.

Thoughts?

AggieTJ2007
02-12-2014, 08:02 PM
Setting the steering up with heims will make the steering have less slop than the inverted T setup. Plenty of people run a setup like that,

As for getting the panhard and drag link on the same angle try to put the panhard infront of an above the axle. This should help clear upper link mount and the diff at compression.

KrazyKarl02
02-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Seems do-able, post a pic of the front of your ride. Like freight on said links in the back, pan hard bar towards the front, just have to see where your steering box/pitman arm land.

Sharpe
02-13-2014, 12:32 AM
If you want to get whacky with axle location you can get reverse swinging Saginaw boxes from Chevy vans. Astro minivans for inside the frame applications and fullsize vans for outside.

kyle
02-13-2014, 08:58 AM
If you want to get whacky with axle location you can get reverse swinging Saginaw boxes from Chevy vans. Astro minivans for inside the frame applications and fullsize vans for outside.

I've thought about doing this swap, just unsure about having the pitman arm being out there unprotected and stretching it past where I'm at.

Also, hydro-assist will be added during this swap.

Shaggy
02-13-2014, 11:56 AM
full hydro and put the axle wherever you want :)

Sparling
02-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Unless the only thing you do is crawl around real slow full hydro shouldn't even be an option.

Shaggy
02-13-2014, 12:35 PM
My jeep goes down the highway at 75 just fine with full hydro. Took some getting used to but that is it.

Shaggy
02-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Being that you are trying to keep your jeep low have you looked how the 3 link will fit. My jeep ended up tall to clear everything. When I ever get around to reworking it or when I build my brothers I am going 5 link. Non-triangulated 4 link with panhard bar. only one more link that the 3 link with panhard bar but much easier to keep low. I plan on slamming my jeep 6" or more eventually using this link method. It will also allow me to clock my atlas fully flat. Right now it is two notches lower than I wanted to clear the 3rd link.

kyle
02-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Full hydro isn't happening.

My main question is if the stock steering arm is strong enough to handle single sheer steering set up. In my head it works but we all know how **** gets on the trail. If the bolt or the steering arm breaks it's going to be a long way back to camp.

Build thread coming soon

Sparling
02-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Your steering arm should be fine but it might not stay tight with a single sheer setup, it might oval out the hole since it's not a reamed hole like a TRE uses. Here's some pictures of what you could do to fix it though. Everything will be stronger in double sheer and it wouldn't cost much to do this.

http://www.wheelingarizona.com/forums/files/thumbs/t_pa230044_147.jpg (http://www.wheelingarizona.com/forums/files/pa230044_147.jpg)

kyle
02-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Referring to the 2nd picture? Seems simple enough. What are the knuckles made of? Cast steel?

Your steering arm should be fine but it might not stay tight with a single sheer setup, it might oval out the hole since it's not a reamed hole like a TRE uses. Here's some pictures of what you could do to fix it though. Everything will be stronger in double sheer and it wouldn't cost much to do this.

http://www.wheelingarizona.com/forums/files/thumbs/t_pa230044_147.jpg (http://www.wheelingarizona.com/forums/files/pa230044_147.jpg)

Sparling
02-13-2014, 03:28 PM
I have no clue if they're iron or steel.

KrazyKarl02
02-13-2014, 03:40 PM
What the **** is wrong with Sparling, that is the most janky pile of **** I have ever seen.

Put a 1 ton TRE in the pitman arm, this will keep it tight. Put heims with bolts on the steering arms, lock tight them, use cotter pins, and routinely check for tightness.

Sparling
02-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Idk what that last one is but people weld braces to make steering heims double sheer pretty often. I wheel on the internet and take poser pics of my truck, that's better than staying at a holiday inn right?

kyle
02-13-2014, 05:12 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/14/7yvysaba.jpg

kyle
02-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Looking over everything again I may have enough room for the pan hard to go in there and an inch maybe 2 of stretch forward?