PDA

View Full Version : Start to an off-road build on a 1988 Cherokee Chief

CamperSpecial67
09-30-2015, 05:03 PM
Well after successfully making some stock 4x4s look done with my 67' F-250 with only a posi-trac and a Dana 60 in the back this past weekend at Creekside, i knew it was time to dive into the 4x4 world. After negotiating a great price on a 1988 Cherokee Chief it's time to take something on the trails that's actually built for it. 500 bucks later and I'm starting out with my first jeep. Runs rough, but a good tune up should solve most issues. By the way for those who don't know me my name is Riley Greiner, this will be my second year in the club! Class of 2018. Here's my two projects!
1967 Ford F-250 Ranger Camper Special after the first run for the club this year, had a blast! (And still cleaning the mud off :gigem:)
http://s15.postimg.org/58o47grev/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/58o47grev/)
And the jeep! 1988 Cherokee Cheif that my brother and I purchased together this past Sunday.
http://s15.postimg.org/fwn9skc07/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/fwn9skc07/)

DangerRanger15
09-30-2015, 05:19 PM
Cant wait to tear up the chief

mudtoy67
09-30-2015, 08:41 PM
Cherokees everywhere!

Sharpe
09-30-2015, 09:22 PM
Your $500 was better spent than mine.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/rsharpe08/Jeep/04CB11A3-3396-4E17-ABED-D095782E5942_zpsvvsea3l5.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/rsharpe08/media/Jeep/04CB11A3-3396-4E17-ABED-D095782E5942_zpsvvsea3l5.jpg.html)

KrazyKarl02
09-30-2015, 10:28 PM
Cherokees are good low buck wheelers. Check out tommy Matheas old Cherokee, I think it was called the Easter egg. I think in the end he had under 1000 in it and did pretty well until it thru a rod.

CamperSpecial67
10-01-2015, 12:59 AM
What all did he have done to his Cherokee that was a build on a budget? Sounds kinda what I'm goin for ����

bcolman
10-01-2015, 07:12 AM
If you can get ahold of Junior and pick his brain he will would be able to school you on these and how to do it on the cheap while making it work well. He may also have some parts that would help.

tommy53002
10-01-2015, 08:58 AM
Sweet. Do you have any plans for the Cherokee yet?

KrazyKarl02
10-01-2015, 10:44 AM
Here's Tommy's thread,

http://www.tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?7856-Another-damn-XJ

Basic story was free Cherokee, that he put a 3" lift on, welded the real, put a drop in locker in the front, 33" tires and rocked out. It was not the most extreme vehicle in the world, but it let him wheel.

TMatheaus
10-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Close Karl,

Started life as 2wd and standard, converted to 4wd and auto. Put 3" of lift and 32" tires and welded the rear. Wheeled for a while, and did some more upgrades over time. Added 2" more of lift and put 33" tires. Once I went to 33's that seemed to be the limitation on stock cherokee parts. Things started breaking more often. Broke rear several times, exploded tcase, broke transmission (torque converter). Got it back together and then threw a rod.

tommy53002
10-01-2015, 04:45 PM
Close Karl,

Started life as 2wd and standard, converted to 4wd and auto. Put 3" of lift and 32" tires and welded the rear. Wheeled for a while, and did some more upgrades over time. Added 2" more of lift and put 33" tires. Once I went to 33's that seemed to be the limitation on stock cherokee parts. Things started breaking more often. Broke rear several times, exploded tcase, broke transmission (torque converter). Got it back together and then threw a rod.

Yeah, I think the main weak point for a Cherokee on 33's is going to be the rear axle. I say try and find an 8.8 rear axle to swap in that has matching gears and your front... cheap lift, 33's, weld/lock axles... wheel the heck out of it..

CamperSpecial67
10-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the input, i want to lift it but how big can you go without having to mess with brake lines/driveshaft. Liked to make it as simple as possible. What's optimal tire size for the stock axles? I'd like to swap them out eventually but keeping it cheap for now. Want to run some bigger tires, and fount a deal on front and rear bumpers with light tabs, d rings and receiver for yhe front and d ringers and recover on rear for 500 all together. Also lookin around for sliders, they're expensive and I don't have a means of building them myself

JB
10-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Keep it on 32-33s. Cheap lockers, winch, wheel it.

CamperSpecial67
10-11-2015, 08:44 PM
I'm wanting a short arm lift because of price, is that okay for wheeling?

JB
10-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Yes, just keep it low. 3-4" and cut some fenders.

CamperSpecial67
10-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Should I run stock wheels or should I get some cheap ones that are a little wider to run bigger tires?

Sparling
10-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Narrow wheels will keep a bead better on the trail than wider ones.

Shaggy
10-12-2015, 09:29 AM
I like the skinny wheel

85cj7
10-12-2015, 10:52 AM
You could run a 33x10.5x15 on a 8" steel wheel. I had that set up on my CJ many years ago and it performed well.

DangerRanger15
10-12-2015, 12:06 PM
I have always run a 12.50 on 8 in wide wheels. That seems to work for me.

CamperSpecial67
10-12-2015, 04:01 PM
So like 15x8 with some 33x12.5 tires, cut fenders, cheap short arm lift, bumpers and sliders, winch, and axle work. Recommendations for what I should do for the axles? I want to swap out the two piece on in the front for just a long shaft, could that work? Don't have much experience with gearing and stuff like that. Should I try to find some different axles to swap in or will I be ok with a few mods done to the stock ones?

JB
10-12-2015, 06:11 PM
Keep it simple for now and wheel it. I would just keep an eye on the for sale forums, craigslists, facebook etc for people selling stuff. XJ front springs and arms and rear blocks are going to be pretty popular for sale items as people upgrade.

People will say to just build it once, but I think in your case, being on a budget, and not having much experience wheeling, a shortarm setup, 33s max and maybe one locker, would be a good starting point. Wheel it, then wheel it some more, then upgrade the parts you think you need too.

tommy53002
10-13-2015, 10:26 AM
So like 15x8 with some 33x12.5 tires, cut fenders, cheap short arm lift, bumpers and sliders, winch, and axle work. Recommendations for what I should do for the axles? I want to swap out the two piece on in the front for just a long shaft, could that work? Don't have much experience with gearing and stuff like that. Should I try to find some different axles to swap in or will I be ok with a few mods done to the stock ones?

If I were you.

Short term:
cheap 2-4" lift (keep in mind, as you get close to the 4" lift, you will probably need to look into a slip yoke eliminator kit for the transfer case which would also require a new rear drive shaft)
32-34" tires
cheap lockers (i run Aussie lockers they are 200-250/each and don't require you to re-setup the gears)
Winch
make bumpers
make sliders
make skids
try and pick up spare shafts (axle and drive)

Depending on budget....
cage
swap rear axle for a ford 8.8 (i think you would need wheel spacers to match axle width)
add locker and chromo shafts to 8.8
chromo shafts in front dana 30 (add 4:10 gears to match the 8.8 rear axle)
upgrade suspension
hydro-assist steering
35-37" tires
bead lock rims

Long term:
find a better build platform...

but that's just my opinion. I think Cherokees are the perfect budget wheeler, but if/when you want to step up to 1 tons, 40"+ tires, and a real suspension... i think you are better suited building a rig that has a frame.

CamperSpecial67
11-08-2015, 04:01 PM
What rear drive shaft should I go with if I end up getting the eliminator?

JB
11-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Build one or have one built. I had a few built by BVD, which way back when, was off 2818 just past the Hall of Fame. Just tell them what you are doing and give them the measurement.

85cj7
11-08-2015, 09:02 PM
What do you need? I have a tom woods 1310 cv shaft that you would probably have to get retubed/lengthened and balanced but it would save you from starting from scratch.

KrazyKarl02
11-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Can you take your stock shaft, flip it around, so the axle end is at the t-case. I am assuming on Cherokee it runs 1310 u-joints. Then take the shaft to a driveline shop and have them weld a slip section in?

CamperSpecial67
01-16-2016, 11:22 AM
Howdy Guys!

Been awhile since I posted, school and work keepin me pretty busy, but have had a lot of fun wheeling it the past semester and over the break. Only run I missed last year was Clayton :/ plan to hopefully make it up there next year. But on the brighter note the jeep has gone on 6 trips since I last posted. Figured out the lame vacuum powered two piece set up was causing my issues with the 4x4 not engaging. So I flipped the CAD upside down, moved the cuplink over and reinstalled it, added some gear oil. Works great on the trails. Only been stuck a handful of times this far. My brother posted his pic of it stuck at Creekside on the Facebook page (didn't even drive it on that trip) but we had an extra set of all terrains lying around and put those on. Been keeping an eye out for extra axles and drive shafts and found some at a puck and pull. wont really do the lift and bigger tires till this summer, but have been making upgrades here and there to make it road worthy for long trips to the trails. Heard the Clayton trip was a lot of fun, bummed to not get to see the legend in action.
http://s9.postimg.org/6txf5d1q3/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/6txf5d1q3/)

http://s9.postimg.org/lom0jjbaz/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/lom0jjbaz/)

http://s9.postimg.org/b0i9kp1bv/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/b0i9kp1bv/)

tommy53002
01-16-2016, 09:57 PM
Nice. When is the next ride?

CamperSpecial67
02-29-2016, 12:54 PM
So update on the Chief. Been on three runs this year so far and just got through with an awesome run this past weekend in Crawford. With a mostly stock set up, front sway link out, a little bit of air down for the tires it has performed far past expectations. Though it gets high centered quite often that's expected with wheels and tires. Been keeping my eye out for used lifts, parts and such. Next run there were thoughts about rednecks with paychecks, but seeing as most members won't be able to make it we might make a change do a hidden falls run sometime after spring break. Here's a pic of us playing around and getting the jeep really high centered this past weekend.
http://s15.postimg.org/dtjaajjt3/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/dtjaajjt3/)

CamperSpecial67
08-27-2016, 09:59 PM
Haven't been on in awhile but here's another update. Wheeled a lot since I Iraq started this thread, also done my homework on building it up. But for now 2" BB and 33s with trimming and bumpstops is what I'm running now on it. LOVE the bigger footprint. Plans for axles is to swap in a HP Dana 30 front and Chrysler 8.25 rear go with 4.56s and Aussie locker. Lookin into a hybrid 4in from DPG Offroad it's a rubicon express left with some off there goodies thrown in for just under 1k. Hoping to make it to Clayton ready or not this year and wheel the hell outta it. Threw in a sound system, rock lights a light bar for night wheeling we've done at hidden falls. Eventually want a 3 link set up instead of a radius arm set up whenever I go long arms. Here's a pic of it two weeks ago in Huntsville at General Sam's. I'm still getting the mud out of my ears!

BroncoJo
08-28-2016, 08:32 PM
Looks fun

Sharpe
08-28-2016, 09:35 PM
I wouldn't put another D30 in. HP 44s aren't too hard to find and you may well break that too. My uncles Fred and Jimmy Brune break/broke D44 shafts regularly and Jimmy ripped a steering knuckle off at least once that I can remember. They are/were on 35s and IH Scouts but a 33 isn't *that* much smaller. The peace of mind/expense ratio of D30 vs D44 leans D44 every time.

tommy53002
08-29-2016, 08:04 AM
Am I reading that correct? You are swapping IN a Chrysler 8.25?

What is in it now? Why not go with an 8.8? They are cheap, plentiful, should match your current wheel bolt pattern, and can be built to handle some abuse.

Another plus side is that 8.8s are common with 4.10 gears. I know you said you were swapping to 4.56, but for budget wheeling... swapping in a 4.10 8.8 gets you decent gearing and then you only have to re-gear the front. Plus the numerically higher the gear ratio, the weaker the pinion is... and with a D30 that is something to keep in mind.

Sparling
08-29-2016, 01:24 PM
8.8 swap FTW. We put one in taylors grand cherokee and it's been flawless. Stock disk brakes are area huge plus

Sparling
08-29-2016, 01:24 PM
8.8 swap FTW. We put one in taylors grand cherokee and it's been flawless. Stock disk brakes are a huge plus

zebvance
08-30-2016, 10:25 PM
He is prob swaping in a 8.25 cause it's a direct bolt up. No need to weld perches, shock mounts, ect. Like you have to do with the 8.8. Quick fast and cheap upgrade. I'm sure he has a Dana 35 stock so the 8.25 is a huge bolt in upgrade, and it's not too far off in strength from the 8.8.

CamperSpecial67
09-05-2016, 12:07 AM
zebvance is correct, i want the 8.25 because cheap, better than d35 and will bolt up. even better i might have a line on a free one which only helps the cause. dont plan on going bigger than the 33s for now, and the d30 front ive been out of the newer cherokees worked fine for jeff brown and he was runnin it hard on 35s. just ideas, and always looking for helpful input. yes hp 44s would be obvious better choice but for time wise to fab up everything necessary to make the swap a reality would put my jeep out of commission for longer than id like. plus later on a better platform is where ill be doing it the right way the first time with something that is frame and chassis

BroncoJo
09-05-2016, 03:33 PM
I like your plan, may not be traditional TAMOR, but whatever.

CamperSpecial67
09-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Kinda put together a list for clayton this year and what needs to get done in repairs and upgrades
LCA bushings
UCA bushings
new leaf packs or bastard packs for rear, mine our wore out and are in need of replacement
Steering gear box
Power steering pump
Front brake job
service ccv system
Skids (Engine, oil, to trans cross member skid since this as of now is a low cog build) and maybe a gas tank skid in the back
rock sliders
front winch bumper
spare tire and maybe fab up a receiver hitch mount for rear to stick the spare on
extended brake lines front and rear
front bumpstops
rear bumpstops
service the d35
no spare axles needed since im just gunna run open diffs and winch out when i get stuck
look into roll cage of some sort, seen some pre fabbed ones online i might try to make a simplified version to add a little piece of mind while driving the flimsy beer can that is an XJ
hood louvers to keep heat down
get trailer registration up to date
any other suggestions would be great!
yes very unconventional build, but i think it'll work for my budget, have a lot of fun and go wheel cause that why we're here right?? until i can get new axles in, lockers, cage, lift.... and probably sell it for something that isnt a unibody

Sparling
09-06-2016, 11:03 AM
go wheel cause that why we're here right??

We're here to drink beer but it turns out that if you do it at home by yourself and snapchat pictures of your wet bar at home that makes you an alcoholic.

List looks good, I'd make sure the sliders are a priority, they'll help you get hung up less on the trail. Brakes are important too.

BroncoJo
09-06-2016, 03:48 PM
I was thinking more like: "drink beer and **** **** up"

Also I think college is the best time for non-bolt on projects. Now that I'm married and focused on work (for what ever reason I'm not quite sure) I like the idea of bolt on upgrades or paying someone to do my dirty work. For you I suggest ditching all of your plans and start scouring craiglist for a welder, torch and tubing bender. Learn, build and repeat 1000 times.

*** it also took me 6 years to get my eng degree because I spent most of my time in the shop, and my only regret is I didn't spend enough time building *******

CamperSpecial67
09-07-2016, 02:03 PM
most the stuff on their i want to build, already have a welder and a place to fab up stuff. Spend just about every night wrenching their with my brother and a few members. if i start running outta time i might buy a few things on my list to make it ready enough for clayton. list isnt in order, my written one is on a chalkboard in the shop. sliders a must and top of the list, winch and brakes also up there. the rest we'll see what i can get to. already have the metal to build the skids, and maybe some body armor but thats it i have left overs. tube bender is the one thing ive been debating for weeks on, they aint cheap.

CamperSpecial67
09-07-2016, 02:04 PM
and also on track for a 5-6 year degree plan, paying my way and work too much to take more than 12 hours a semester.

BroncoJo
09-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track :gigem:

CamperSpecial67
09-07-2016, 04:43 PM
welll looks like zebvance might be hookin me up with the majority of a 4.5in rc short arm lift, just need shocks and rear leafs. my question is what route should i go for the leafs and would 6in lift shocks with correct bump stopping be the way to go so i can get more droop from the suspension? i already have shocks on the jeep rated for 2-4in of lift from rc when i did the 2in bb lift. thoughts?

Sharpe
09-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Shocks that are categorized by lift aren't always accurate. Since I believe the legendary Tamor RTI ramp is still around, put the lift on, measure your mount to mount shock lengths with no shocks installed and order ones that will optimize your suspension's range. You can temporarily put the stock ones back on for street driving until your new **** gets here.

I also agree the sliders should be a priority. My personal experience based opinion is that the following make the biggest difference in wheeling capability in order;

1. Traction (lockers)
2. Tires
3. Steering
4. Sliders

Seriously, when you aren't worried about crushing rockers and can deliberately pivot off rocks and trees your wheeling capability skyrockets.

zebvance
09-08-2016, 09:10 AM
welll looks like zebvance might be hookin me up with the majority of a 4.5in rc short arm lift, just need shocks and rear leafs. my question is what route should i go for the leafs and would 6in lift shocks with correct bump stopping be the way to go so i can get more droop from the suspension? i already have shocks on the jeep rated for 2-4in of lift from rc when i did the 2in bb lift. thoughts?

Sorry bud all that sold months ago. Dont have any old parts laying around anymore.

zebvance
09-08-2016, 09:15 AM
I was thinking more like: "drink beer and **** **** up"

Also I think college is the best time for non-bolt on projects. Now that I'm married and focused on work (for what ever reason I'm not quite sure) I like the idea of bolt on upgrades or paying someone to do my dirty work. For you I suggest ditching all of your plans and start scouring craiglist for a welder, torch and tubing bender. Learn, build and repeat 1000 times.

*** it also took me 6 years to get my eng degree because I spent most of my time in the shop, and my only regret is I didn't spend enough time building *******

Exact same way I think now. I wish I swapped in one tons when I had the free time and linked the rear, those dreams are over now. Work takes priority and the wife now wants a kid. The majority of my wrenching days are over.... and it only took me 7 and a half years to get my engineering degree..... ***

tommy53002
09-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Exact same way I think now. I wish I swapped in one tons when I had the free time and linked the rear, those dreams are over now. Work takes priority and the wife now wants a kid. The majority of my wrenching days are over.... and it only took me 7 and a half years to get my engineering degree..... ***

yeah, if you think you don't have wrenching time now... Just wait till that kiddo comes along. You'll think back and feel like you had all the free time in the world....

CamperSpecial67
09-08-2016, 05:46 PM
no worries on the lift, just means that time and money can go into other things on the list. First meeting was a success, probably close to 75+ came out to flex on the ramp and see what we were about. Some of the guys on the board from BVORR also came and hung out. So it looks like we are back in there as they were all enthusiastic about having us come wheel with them. Of those who came id say we'll gain a solid 20ish+ worth of people who will stick around. Class 3 hitch going on rear of xj soon (got it for free) for a temporary tow point in the back till a bumper gets made or bought. probably looking at hockey pucks for front bumpstops and daystar extended bumpstops with a fabbed up adjustable plate to go ontop of springs so i have some flexibility. Brakelines are a must as they were maxxed out last nigh on the ramp in the pic i have posted with this. power steering is also at the top of my list now as mine finally gave out this week, with fluid coming from the steering box bad and the pump doing nothing to get the tires turned. id like to rebuild the box but the rebuild kit is almost as much as a new one, so might upgrade and go with a durango and figure out a spacer plate to make it work, bolts up to existing lines already in the xj.
https://s10.postimg.org/k4dxj3dp1/IMG_4645.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/k4dxj3dp1/)

zebvance
09-09-2016, 09:31 AM
no worries on the lift, just means that time and money can go into other things on the list. First meeting was a success, probably close to 75+ came out to flex on the ramp and see what we were about. Some of the guys on the board from BVORR also came and hung out. So it looks like we are back in there as they were all enthusiastic about having us come wheel with them. Of those who came id say we'll gain a solid 20ish+ worth of people who will stick around. Class 3 hitch going on rear of xj soon (got it for free) for a temporary tow point in the back till a bumper gets made or bought. probably looking at hockey pucks for front bumpstops and daystar extended bumpstops with a fabbed up adjustable plate to go ontop of springs so i have some flexibility. Brakelines are a must as they were maxxed out last nigh on the ramp in the pic i have posted with this. power steering is also at the top of my list now as mine finally gave out this week, with fluid coming from the steering box bad and the pump doing nothing to get the tires turned. id like to rebuild the box but the rebuild kit is almost as much as a new one, so might upgrade and go with a durango and figure out a spacer plate to make it work, bolts up to existing lines already in the xj.
https://s10.postimg.org/k4dxj3dp1/IMG_4645.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/k4dxj3dp1/)

I have the durango box and I wouldn't do it again. There are better options I think there is more benefits to a s10 box but thats what I have heard. Havent looked in to it much.

CamperSpecial67
09-11-2016, 11:49 AM
What's your experience with the Durango box? And I'll go do some digging on a better option for it because mine needs to be replaced..

zebvance
09-11-2016, 02:24 PM
What's your experience with the Durango box? And I'll go do some digging on a better option for it because mine needs to be replaced..

A small strength gain that's really not needed to begin with when the steering linkage is the weak link. And l a loss of turning radius.

CamperSpecial67
09-13-2016, 08:37 AM
well got a front tow hook welded in from an old tacoma, rear hitch was an absolute nightmare getting out the stock one and putting in the new one, but an all nighter later and i have a much stronger hitch receiver now. since the exhaust was rubbing on my rear passenger side leafs a made a custom cut in the exhaust to have it essentially axle dumped up and out of the way from being plugged or pinched on the trails, and raised the overall rear of the exhaust system a few inches higher than before for better clearance underneath. Now looking in finding metal, and have a couple places im gunna go check out after next pay check so i can start stock piling for front winch bumper, skids for oil pan, trans crossmember and t-case, and maybe even a rear bumper with a tire carrier. but if i run out of time i'll just build a tire carrier to go onto the rear hitch until i can build a tire carrier bumper. Is 3/16 the way to go thickness wise for bumpers? My unibody tie ins are gunna be 1/4 which will extend far enough back to reinforce the steering gear box and front part of the unibody. Also unibody stiffeners are on the list, but we'll see how it all comes together. first things first i need the metal to start fabbing stuff up. Thankfully have a friend in the club who has welding experience so he can teach me and we can start making some stuff. And while all that is going on the steering gear box is getting ordered this week, lca and uca bushings going in tonight, and got a junkyard ps pump that looked mint in the xj we pulled it from so fingers crossed and we'll see how that turns out. I think thats about it for this update, clayton is months away and i am already feelin stressed to get the list knocked out!

BroncoJo
09-13-2016, 11:35 AM
bullet points or paragraphs please

85cj7
09-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Bumpers can be anywhere from 1/8 thick to 1/4 thick. I've used 1/4, 3/16, and 1/8. It just depends on what you are using it for and what weight savings means to you.

I would use 1/4 for skids and 3/16 and 1/8 for frame stiffeners and bumpers. The more supports and bends you have in the piece the more rigid it will be. The more long, straight, unsupported pieces you have the weaker it will be. This is true for any thickness material.

CamperSpecial67
09-19-2016, 10:04 PM
picked up some extended brake lines today, front lines from a 1996 chevy 1500 and a rear line fore a 1996 dodge dakota from what ive read should bolt right in, each giving me about 6 more inches in length. Also got some hockey pocks and hardware for bump stops. going to drill through the spring perch in the front to secure pucks, and fabbing some new leaf spring plates to bump stop the rear. Testing it all out this weekend at BVORR!

CamperSpecial67
10-07-2016, 02:54 AM
Well got another update for y'all. Still searching/saving up for the metal I'm gunna buy for the sliders, bumper and skids but tonight got all measurements and a mock up done for the front bumper. Still need a few more measurements for skids, and rock sliders but I'm doing that tomorrow night along with some flush mount pods in the rear that I picked up for free from a friend! It's late, got 68 days to get it all done so the clock is ticking!

https://s17.postimg.org/fbdit7ka3/image.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/fbdit7ka3/)

Don't mind the hole cut out in the middle, that's suppose to be flipped but it's late and I'm ready for bed!

BroncoJo
10-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Can't wait for the finished product! That front piece looks very big and flat

CamperSpecial67
10-11-2016, 12:08 PM
im also gunna add a grille guard thats a mix between an arb and warn design, but any suggestions for the bumper?
Going with:
3/16 for the shell
1/4 for the unibody tie in for the bumper
1/4 for winch plate
3/4 d ring mounts
extra 1/4 for a steering box reinforcement
1x1 tubing for the grille guard
2x2 tubing on the ends to wrap around the corners for grille protection

hopefully come out to somthing close to the pic below

https://s16.postimg.org/hqblhsgq9/front_view_winch_bumper_design.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/hqblhsgq9/)

and mounting for the winch plate and d rings:

https://s17.postimg.org/s730k8n9n/unibody_tie_in_front_bumper.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/s730k8n9n/)

CamperSpecial67
10-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Oh! also forgot to add a member from the club will be cutting the pieces for the bumper with a cnc machine... for free! so with that i might be getting a locker for the front here soon..

Sharpe
10-11-2016, 03:02 PM
All sounds good except the tubing selection. I think 1" and 2" will look odd, especially together. 1.5" or 1.75" is more typical.

CamperSpecial67
10-11-2016, 08:23 PM
awesome, well i decided before the post and after i did the rough sketch that the corner wrap is just going to be a piece of 2x2 goin straight back from the corner and run along the bottom of the fender kinda like JCR runs, helps with weight, fab time and such, but i'd definetly will change the grille guard to 1.5-1.75 depending on what i can get my hands on. very happy i decided to build it, gunna be more fun, cheaper and ill get exactly what i want all in one

Sharpe
10-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Sounds like a plan.

robertf03
10-13-2016, 11:21 PM
tie ins look good. I don't like the exposed sheet metal top edge on that front bumper. Give it something you can stand on, or at least set a drink on. custom fab I think on 2818 did all the press brake work for me when I did a similar project https://www.dropbox.com/s/rswtswe9wu39m2k/bumper_docs.pdf?dl=0 ARB uses around 2". Anything less than 1.75 will look odd.

mudtoy67
10-14-2016, 09:36 AM
Tuck that bumper in as close to the grill as possible. I've even seen some guys cut the grill to recess the winch back as close to the radiator as possible. I've got an ARB on my XJ and it works well but just sticks out too far. With 35's I find the bumper hangs me on even mild sized ledges. I have to approach most ledges/walls at a pretty good angle to get one front tire climbing in order to get the front end up. This leaves me at some precarious angles sometimes. The pic below is from Clayton 2013. I made that ledge that year. 2014 wasn't so lucky and ended up with my passenger in the drink. :D

sam_hodnett
10-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Tuck that bumper in as close to the grill as possible. I've even seen some guys cut the grill to recess the winch back as close to the radiator as possible. I've got an ARB on my XJ and it works well but just sticks out too far. With 35's I find the bumper hangs me on even mild sized ledges. I have to approach most ledges/walls at a pretty good angle to get one front tire climbing in order to get the front end up. This leaves me at some precarious angles sometimes. The pic below is from Clayton 2013. I made that ledge that year. 2014 wasn't so lucky and ended up with my passenger in the drink. :D

And a late departure while we went searching for your truck keys in the creek that was off limits to wheeling! :flipoff2:

CamperSpecial67
11-10-2016, 12:02 AM
Yeah you're right on the sheet metal coming up in the middle, maybe ill extended that back towards the grille and make a seat/drink holder when i'm working on the dam thing (which is about every night it seems) bumper is just about done being cut out. I still need to grab some tubing for the grille guard, but ill worry about that once i have the bottom half of it built and adjusted to my liking. as of now it only extends 5 inches from the front cross member to the very front of the bumper at the longest, and tappers down a the corners. I like the grille trimming idea and will probably implement that.

Been awhile since i last updated yall so here goes:

I'm right now either have a free 10,000 Warn or 10,000 trail gear at a largely discounted price. The difference is the Warn needs the wiring, but has the controller and the trail gear has everything ready to go in but i have to pay a couple hundred for. Leaning the to the Warn if my father will let me pull it outta storage (hasn't seen his 02 f250 in years) which is also where the controller and wiring are located (on and in the truck).

Lunchbox for the front dana 30, with later model axles with the larger u joints to do the two piece to one piece swap also looking to happen end of this month. (leaving the 35 open, would rather spin tires than break and be done for the weekend. waste of time and money to junkyard d35 shafts)

I NEED sliders. Have made little to no progress on them because lack of metal. If it looks like im running outta time i might pony up the cash for some but right now still hoping to slap some together (plan to buy the tubing for the sliders and the grille guard for the bumper all at once)

Leaking oil pretty good right now. Probably needs a new rear main, timing cover seal, oil pan and valve cover gaskets for good measure. But its gone 1000 miles and haven't had to add any oil yet. Just annoying having it drip on the exhaust and having a slight haze of smoke occasionally come out from under the jeep.

Did the door mod all the way around so now they all come off and on easily. Pretty sure they'll be staying on for clayton though :gigem:

installed some rear pods in the hatch. great to finally be able to see where im going when backing up!

Here's a few pics to go along with it!

CamperSpecial67
11-26-2016, 09:51 PM
Downer of an update.
Broke bad enough at hidden falls this past weekend to force me into leaving the jeep at home for Clayton this year. From the rear output shaft back is toast. Slip yoke, rear driveshaft and d35 pinon are damaged and unrepairable. I refuse to put a dime into the d35, so now I'm taking it off the road and building it the right way to be ready next fall. It's a bummer, but part of the sport. I will however be bringing the best white elephant gift to Clayton this year so be ready for it! It's been a mess putting the shirt design and order together. Anyways gunna start on it the beginning of next year. With my truck close to being back on the road I'm going from budget wheeler to a money pit. Become to attached to it now to upgrade to a better platform, so just gunna build what I got and have a blast doing it!

KrazyKarl02
11-26-2016, 11:48 PM
While I agree the Dana 35 sucks, can you not just go to a junk yard and get the t-case output, driveshaft and diff yoke? For like $100? Seems like something Junior would have, mudtoy67 probably has his number.

CamperSpecial67
11-27-2016, 09:33 AM
Money is one issue, the other being that it set me behind in my tight build plan to make it to Clayton. I did not want to be up there without a locker, winch and bumper, and sliders at minimum. I'd be breaking more than wheeling and not tryin to be a boat anchor on the trip draggin the pace down. I also damaged the exhaust which a quick saw zaw job will fix. But the bottom line is, do I really want to wheel Clayton without sliders and locker? That's the main reason why i think it would be smarter to leave at home, rather than bring it all the way up to not be able to do a lot of the trails because of open diffs

Sharpe
11-28-2016, 08:08 PM
You still need a way to get up the mountain. Even just cruising the mountain roads between trails is entertaining and we may be short on trail seats. I'd fix it!

CamperSpecial67
11-29-2016, 02:22 PM
i might go hit up a junkyard, we'll see what the next paycheck is lookin like. though i won't have it where i originally wanted it ill still beat the hell outta it anyways and have a whole year to get it ready for clayton 2017

KrazyKarl02
11-29-2016, 09:56 PM
Sharpe once took a diesel truck with no alternator and only 1st or reverse. He started it on the trailer at the hotel and never shut it off the entire day. However he did not have to walk.

CamperSpecial67
12-20-2016, 09:56 PM
Carnage update from clayton:
None other than a dent on the passenger rear door (more like a souvenir rather than carnage haha)

Tried out tuckers triumph? left off the airstrip going up and found success. turned around close to the top because somebody had to be following me in their daily driver... but running opens and low tread 33s i got around farther than i thought i would with my current lame setup. Watched coleman destroy his cj in the creek bed to the right of the airstrip and then made it through myself before jumping out to play it safe. Had a lot of fun, the xj was puking oil the entire time but the 12 quarts a had were more than enough for the weekend. Defiantly looking forward to the next trip up there. There was talk about making a trip up there in the spring, and Gilbert Nail offered to let me shoot his .50 cal if we did end up coming back when the weather got warmer :gigem:

Sharpe
12-21-2016, 12:33 PM
Puking oil from where? My first 6.2L diesel on Pigpen leaked out of the rear main so badly it would lose about a quart an hour on the trail.

CamperSpecial67
03-02-2017, 02:53 PM
It was the rear main for sure, have the parts to fix it just haven't gotten to it yet. From the park to clayton country end i spit atleast 4 quarts going down the highway haha. Haven't updated in awhile as the beginning of this year has been pretty busy for me and the jeep really hasn't moved since clayton. But here's the good news, hit up the junkyard in Bryan right off of 2818 (saw a couple former club rigs in there which was pretty neat) and struck gold. Picked up the rare xj rear dana 44 axle, new d30hp to replace the awful two piece one i have, new steering column (mine has had multiple issues for awhile now), front and rear driveshafts, new leaf springs and all the included hardware this past week. THANK YOU TAX REFUND.

Also in the works coming this summer will be a diesel swap for it. Hate the renix 4.0 that i have, its high maintenance and has one thing or another always going out on it. So after some heavy homework im gunna go with a OM617 swap, specifically from an 82-85 diesel Mercedes that came stock with a turbo. They are lighter than the 4.0, make similar power, have ultra reliability, and i can squeeze 20+mpg out of them. Good low end torque, mechanical, share a very similar power band with the 4.0, and a company I found practically makes everything to make the swap a breeze for a fair price (around 400 bucks). you can buy the donor cars for well under a grand and given my budget a doable swap as i can keep my entire stock drive-line from the motor back.

Seth
03-14-2017, 10:10 PM
What junkyard and more importantly, what rigs?

CLNethery
03-29-2017, 03:38 PM
The place is called "Scotts Automotive" in Bryan. We came across 3 rigs, but that's not to say there aren't a few more laying out there. The station wagon from our last trip to Alto three years ago, Tommy's ford (Axles, motor and front clip had all been removed -- still has frame, tub, rollcage and dash) and lastly an old ford pickup with the banner still attached.

CamperSpecial67
03-30-2017, 10:09 AM
Went out to hidden falls this past weekend with the club. Axles held up great, oil was now minimally leaking at best, and the carnage this past weekend was thankfully minimal as well. Next up im finally getting around to throwing in a lunchbox and building that bumper. 19764

CamperSpecial67
03-30-2017, 10:12 AM
forgot to mention, got a CB for free, wired it up and mounted. About 10 of the active members in the club now runnin CBs and its defiantly an upgrade. Bought from wire, antenna and got it workin in one night. Its a Uniden with a tuner built into it, not a bad setup for 30 bucks to get it installed and in working condition!