PDA

View Full Version : Crow Mall.... E

bigFAWKINranger
01-11-2003, 10:46 PM
yup, the ranger will have a chro moly (sp?) engine support crossmember on monday. it should be nice. mig welded, and bolted inside and outside the frame rails. we made all the final measurements, cutting begins tomorrow at 10am, and if not for the guys at manuel chrysler, i'd have all my spring hangers ready to mount. the stupid fukks locked themselves out of their own fukkin parts delivery area and couldn't get to my special order parts... a$$holes

robertf03
01-12-2003, 12:41 AM
where did you get the cross member? if your building it from scratch and mig welding it like you said to the frame rail, i'd rethink this and get some mild steel.

From what I've read on it in a few welding books, chromoly needs to be tig welded using a chromoly rod. to attach it to steel you need to bolt it, or if its tubing use a mild steel insert and plug weld it. If you dont do this the weld will be brittle.

how come the crossmember had to be replaced. was it part of the ifs?

bigFAWKINranger
01-12-2003, 10:54 AM
i'm not sure about the welding requirements and whatnot, but my friend is very good and i would assume that as much as he handles chromoly he'll know how to make it work. we do have access to a tig welder so i'll call him and ask before he welds it all mig.
the crossmember won't be welded to the frame. we are welding the DOM tubing between 2 brackets that are .25" thick. then we will be using about 10 or so grade 8 bolts to hold the frame rails to the brackets. 2 through the top of the frame, 2 through the bottom, and 4-6 on the inside.
the old engine crossmember is the part that holds the steering rack, and the lower control arms. in short, it hung down way too low, it'd be in the way of the new axle when the diff side flexes up. and it looks to be in the way of the leaf springs as well.
i've taken about 30 different measurements and done the calculations and determined that my leaf springs although INBOARD, will need to be offset to the outside just a bit. my frame rails taper inward as they move toward the front of the truck. my spring hangers have to be outboarded 3/8". my shackle hangers have to be outboarded 3/4".

bigFAWKINranger
01-12-2003, 11:42 AM
it is being TIG welded. i misunderstood him before. he HAS a mig, but is going to his friend's shop to use the tig.

AgDieseler
01-12-2003, 02:14 PM
Good luck Adam. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Don't get too "crazy":flipoff2:

bigFAWKINranger
01-13-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by AgDieseler
Good luck Adam. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Don't get too "crazy":flipoff2:

thanks man. i am also building all new steering links... DOM tube or some chit like that... its like, .5" wall, this chit is cool!