PDA

View Full Version : Fix Or Repair Daily - Head Gasket

robertf03
01-23-2003, 03:11 PM
had to take the off the air cleaner for round 99 of find the broken vacuum hose on the ford and noticed the pcv hose was covered in frothy milky chit. checked the oil cap, covered in it, same with the dip stick. antifreeze is rust brown colored, but doesnt smell like oil or have any of that rainbow reflection like there was oil mixed in it. Oil pressure has been fine along with temperature.

Now I know many of you are familiar with fixing these kwality ford power plants, so before I tear into this, does it sound like a normal head gasket, or something more catastrophic?

Fredo
01-23-2003, 03:58 PM
Rob, before you tear into the f*rd, ask yourself this question....how easy are brakes to fix on a nova? :D Sorry to hear about that man.

robertf03
01-23-2003, 04:26 PM
no kidding. I'm pretty sure this will be the last ford product I ever own.

I spent the last half hour checking to see if the thermostat is stuck closed. all the accessories, brackets, fan shroud, and water pump need to come off to get to the thermostat housing. Not much more to take the heads off at that point. Hell, I think the Nissan housing was easier to get to

froader03
01-27-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by robertf03
all the accessories, brackets, fan shroud, and water pump need to come off to get to the thermostat housing. Not much more to take the heads off at that point.

all I can say is I feel your pain. and other than that I can't come up with anything better than to head in the direction you're heading. dammit, there goes a once in a lifetime opportunity for me to give Robert "Automotive Brittanica" Fleming advice... I'll think about it in class...

robertf03
01-27-2003, 04:40 PM
heads are at the shop right now getting hot tanked and pressure tested.

just incase, anyone know if HO heads came on anything besides mustang? :flipoff2:

http://home.off-road.com/~cj5/3.jpg

Krawler68
01-27-2003, 04:48 PM
Don't feel too bad, it's getting normal for me too... my EB sprang a MAJOR leak Friday... coming from somewhere on the front of the motor... literally so much Coolant i couldn't tell where it was coming from... I'll be pulling the radiator and water pump once again... at least I have it down to a couple hours Removal and reinstall these days. I think I'll just go ahead and replace the water pump while I have it off...

Doug

BigRedFord04
01-27-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by robertf03
all the accessories, brackets, fan shroud, and water pump need to come off to get to the thermostat housing. Not much more to take the heads off at that point. Hell, I think the Nissan housing was easier to get to
I concur w/ that gayness. After getting my engine completely assembled, the only leak was from the thermostat housing b.c. it didnt seat in the groove...30 mins later it was ready for round 2.