PDA

View Full Version : frame work

froader03
02-02-2003, 07:15 PM
I need to borrow 2 or 3 hi-lift jacks. I'm kinda stuck at home without a vehicle right now, but I'd like to do this tomorrow afternoon (monday) maybe @ 3pm. if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. I'll be more than happy to come pick up the jack (not exactly sure how, but I'll find a way) and return it when I'm done. of course if you can drop it by that would be a great help. feel free to call me tonight. you can reach me before 10, after that I'll be at 4.0 and Go.

Hensel
693-9988

Chadnutz
02-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Now your lazy ass has to walk to the bus stop?

hehe

JB
02-02-2003, 08:28 PM
you can borrow my 60incher. I can bring it by tomorrow sometime

froader03
02-02-2003, 08:52 PM
John, thanks a lot. anytime you could bring it by would be great. and thanks to Austin for volunteering his also. I'd like to get one more, so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. by help I mean more than a smart-ass comment from a tool-less maaaazda owner. :flipoff2: (sorry, Nutz, but that was more fun than deleting your post).

Chadnutz
02-02-2003, 10:01 PM
the mazda owner part was fine, but tooless? Damn.

Well - these are what I have at my disposal and if I need to lift my truck I use the forklift...

Forklift
Plasma Cutter
Mig, Tig, Stick welders
Torch
Sheet metal shear and brake
Mill
Drill Press(2)
Press
Chop Saw
Horizontal and vertical ban saws
Bench Grinder
Sawzall
Plenty of hand tools
2 angle grinders
plenty of power tools
a 12,000 sq ft shop - heated
a 20 foot tall crane thing with 2 electric lifts
lathe
table saw
parts cleaner
water fountain

need I continue?

Lick my ballz ;)

froader03
02-02-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Chadnutz

Well - these are what I have at my disposal and if I need to lift my truck I use the forklift...

very cute... but I'm not lifting my truck. I'm straigtening the frame. :flipoff2:

Chadnutz
02-02-2003, 10:10 PM
Well hell, looks like I'm going to have to request 4 hi-lifts. And I forgot about the 18' trailer.

Muauahah

Fredo
02-02-2003, 10:13 PM

Forklift
Plasma Cutter
Mig, Tig, Stick welders
Torch
Sheet metal shear and brake
Mill
Drill Press(2)
Press
Chop Saw
Horizontal and vertical ban saws
Bench Grinder
Sawzall
Plenty of hand tools
2 angle grinders
plenty of power tools
a 12,000 sq ft shop - heated
a 20 foot tall crane thing with 2 electric lifts
lathe
table saw
parts cleaner
water fountain

and now here's the list of tools he has a clue how to use:

water fountain

BigRedFord04
02-02-2003, 11:46 PM
sure...they may be "at his disposal" but he does have to drive 20 mins out of town during regular business hours to use them. :rolleyes:

Orginally posted by Chadnutz
a 20 foot tall crane thing
Is that the technical name for it? :rolleyes:

BMFScout
02-03-2003, 12:10 AM
mine's in the back of Scout, more than welcome to use it. give me a call.

aggielr
02-03-2003, 12:28 AM
DAMN, with access to so many tools, you would figure one could swap a solid axle in over the weekend, i mean with all those at one's disposal, there would be no need to buy any kinda of pre-fabbed items, just make your own

Jackasic
02-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Mine is in the back of the grey truck, I can drop it buy tomorrow.

Chadnutz
02-03-2003, 07:49 AM
The reason I'm having so much trouble making my own SPRINGS and STEERING along with the **** I can actually make is that I have at $15 budget bitch. Get off me, my time will come..

I might trade Mark's car for another toy axle with springs and $50.

Austin: It's during regular business hours that I can't bust out an axle swap, but I have 24 hour/7 day a week access. Why is driving 20 minutes such a big deal.

Seth
02-03-2003, 03:20 PM
whose tools are they and how long are they at your disposal? as for me I will continue to build up my collection little by little, but its all mine.

davido
02-03-2003, 03:30 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, but I have a HiLift that you can use if you need it.

~dso

froader03
02-03-2003, 03:35 PM
the toolz are at riverside where nutz (the bastard who is trying to hi-jack my thread) worx. hi-lift jacks, people. I need the top piece. two or three of them. I'd like to put my bed back on so I can drive my truck. no I can't drive w/out it b/c I'd have no taillights. no I can't flatbed it right now b/c it's the middle of the week, this weekend is out for any truck work, and I won't have enough money for another month at least. call if you can help. thanx and gig 'em.

Hensel
693-9988
777-6163

Jackasic
02-03-2003, 03:42 PM
what do you need the HI LIfts for? You can lift it back on with 4 people. That is all it took for long box Chevy, I could imagine yours being much heavier.

froader03
02-03-2003, 03:46 PM
I'm using them as a couple of big-ass clamps/vises to bend my frame rail back to it's original angle. I made three notches of progress with mine last night before that top piece gave. I suppose I could bolt two together and give it another go, but at this point I'm not working with my stuff...

eight
02-03-2003, 03:48 PM
If all turns out bad, a $25 set of trailer lights should get you going again. I think.

froader03
02-03-2003, 04:04 PM
well I can put my bed on with 1-2 other people in less than half an hour. but right now it's off and I have a good 1-2 hours of work to put the interior back together, so it's a good time to get it done. it needs to be fixed and this is a good time to do it.

Jackasic
02-03-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm using them as a couple of big-ass clamps/vises to bend my frame rail back to it's original angle.

Ah ha, have you applied heat? if you are useing it as a spreader, then it will bend both rail equaly. I might just have to stop by and watch the fun.;)

bburris
02-03-2003, 04:13 PM
what prompted you to tear your truck apart?

Chadnutz
02-03-2003, 04:39 PM
A tree or two.

Sorry for the thread robbery Hensel.

Seth, till I graduate. If my **** didn't get stolen I'd have a decent collection but **** happens. There is no way I can afford all those tools now and I'd much rather spend my money on tools while making $20-25/hour instead of $9/hr, especially before I own a shotgun because it won't happen again.

froader03
02-04-2003, 09:06 PM
here's some pics of my redneck attempt (not that I think I can top anything Nix or that guy with black 2wd Ranger has done :flipoff2: ) to straighten my frame. it worked great. but seeing as how the most heat I could apply to the rails is coming from that work light, everything bent right back as soon as I took the hi-lifts off. thanks to everyone who offered help, dropped hi-lifts by and especially to John Tate who was dumb enough to be right in the middle of the situation with me. thanks man. :flipoff2:

froader03
02-04-2003, 09:06 PM
and anutha one...

froader03
02-04-2003, 09:07 PM
action shot... I should be a model in hi-lift ads :flipoff2:

BigRedFord04
02-05-2003, 01:25 AM
damn...thats pretty harsh...comparing NIX to 2wd Ranger dude...dayum....:p

Chadnutz
02-05-2003, 07:33 AM
You could clamp it down and weld in a cross member..

Fredo
02-05-2003, 10:12 AM
You could clamp it down and weld in a cross member..

oh yeah, that's the best time to weld in a crossmember...when you have the frame under stress...:rolleyes:

Krawler68
02-05-2003, 10:41 AM
***...I could see the first time JAson gets it flexed up.... BOOM!!! the crossmember shoots out and the frame tears...

I say cut off the back and tube it out with a flatbed on top.

Doug

froader03
02-05-2003, 11:17 AM
yeah, this has crossed my mind a few times in the last week. my leaf springs are pretty damn long. if I acquired some shorter ones, moved the axle forward (and of course remount the spring perches and tilt it just a smidge while I've got it off) and hacked off the end of the frame I'd have a few problems solved. then I could stay at home for a few months and maybe by the end of the semester have the skrilla for flatbed ****.

StevenAg03
02-05-2003, 11:18 AM
why would you want to go with shorter springs? you wont be able to get as much flex out of a short spring as you will with the longer springs...

Cajun
02-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Long, offset springs. I'm using GM 3/4 ton rears on the Scout, @2" offest centerpin. Hack the frame off right behind the shackle and build a flatbed/rollbar. You could exo it if you really wanted to get nuts.

Sounds like fun!

froader03
02-05-2003, 02:53 PM
yeah I'm all about getting crazy with an exo-cage. the reasoning behind shorter springs in the rear is that right now I can't do a whole lot to increase my departure angle. the spring hangers go almost to the end of the frame rails. keep in mind none of this is finalized. just thinking out loud. but I definitely appreciate the input.

Cajun
02-05-2003, 03:17 PM
I understand your rationale of wanting shorter springs to increase your departure angle. That's why I suggested springs with offset centerpins. Put the short side towards the back and you get the benefits of a longer, flatter spring plus an improved departure angle.

The GM ones I'm using this accomplish this quite nicely. I pulled 2 leaves out of them and cut the overload leaf into a 1" block. Spring rates seem comparable to my 44044s, they give when I jump on them. :D Plus, they're cheap.

I'd look into:

The aforementioned GMs
44044s
Stock Waggy fronts
JC Whitney HD Waggy fronts