PDA

View Full Version : c-clips

fbronco86
02-04-2003, 04:18 PM
Me and doug we discussing this. I think this could be why doug is breaking shafts.

On the Dana front the snap ring is very important on the stub axle. The stub must be retained from end play, it keeps the dust boot pulled up to keep the mud and water out and protect the thrust washer. The axle can not move back, if it dose the "U" joint will be out of alignment with the upper and lower joint of the steering knuckle, this alignment must be maintained when the steering knuckle is turned with the axle turning. Steve, Differential Eng. Inc.

I have found that NOT running a snap ring causes less than great seal/spindle relationship *the butterfly seal* and in some axles I think it allows the shaft to walk out and that seems to have an ill effect on some brand lockouts. I know I have also run the Dana 60 without clip with drive slugs and have had good success. But I still prefer using the snap rings.

robertf03
02-04-2003, 06:58 PM
why would you not run the snap rings? this shouldn't really be an issue :rolleyes:

AgDieseler
02-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Warn says that 10 bolts do not need them.

robertf03
02-04-2003, 10:45 PM
why would they not need c clips? its the only thing that keeps the fulcrum's lined up between the knuckle and axleshaft. Unless the spider gears and splined part of the axle shaft are machined 100% perfectly, theres going to be lateral movement on that axleshaft. And to get it 100% perfect, they would need to account for shim changes when setting backlash. Forget about changing the carrier out for a locker.

Warn's full of chit.

AgDieseler
02-05-2003, 01:02 AM
Even the automatic Warns from the factory came without those little clips. The odd thing is that the stub shafts came with provision for them. Warn hubs for the 10 bolt come with the c-clips (though they aren't required) and I install them. Why not?

I think the cause of Doug's 10 bolt woes has more to do with 35" tires and puny, necked down stubs.

Krawler68
02-05-2003, 08:43 AM
I can't run the c-clips on my outers... my spoindle blocks the groove in the shafts I used a bolt and a washer...

Doug

stinger7401
02-05-2003, 11:12 AM
those puny little shafts on a 10 bolt are the same puny little shafts that are in a 44 with the chevy type of system. And the whole c-clip issue is kind of pointless, if it was there from the factory why not put it in. It does keep the u-joints lined up and under heavy torque if they're not lined up with the ball joints the u-joints will snap.