PDA

View Full Version : Carb Tech

Rex
02-07-2003, 12:21 AM
I finally got my carb running right after i rebuilt it. Here's an important tip, always replace EVERY SINGLE gasket and o-ring. My truck was running horribly because i didn't replace a couple of little o-rings that went on a metal tube passageway for the accelerator pump and it was right above the powervalve. Well those o-rings weren't sealing good and it was putting a lot of extra fuel in the powervalve and it caused a HUGE gas cloud behind me and a very rough idle with raw fuel coming out. So learn from my mistake and if anyone needs help rebuilding a holley, i have a lot of experience at taking one apart now. :flipoff2:

BMFScout
02-07-2003, 02:28 AM
**** holley, q-jet is the way to go, unless of course you have the bux to pony up for a fi setup, c'mon may...

J Cooper
02-07-2003, 02:33 AM
come help me re-build my holley 2 barr. untill i get my holley truck avenger.... **** G-JET:flipoff2:

Jackasic
02-07-2003, 07:37 AM
yea, **** Q-jet real men drive Holleys. BTW, they are much easyer to rebuild that a Q-jet.

I'm waiting on the new Barry Grant Off Road Deamon. that thing is going to rock.

AgDieseler
02-07-2003, 12:05 PM
All I have to say is Holley 750 Demon.

robertf03
02-07-2003, 12:26 PM
yeah maybe if your building a car

i dont see how you can beat a quadrajet without going to fuel injection. And I think most of those companies building "off road" carbs are building them to take bumps, not run at a 60* incline.

q-jets are everywhere. I went to pick and pull looking for a motorcraft 2100 carb, they were all taken, but just about every chevy still has the qjet under the hood.

but I'll stick with my 2barrel mc2100 on the Jeep and Truck for now until I get around to TBI.

Rex
02-07-2003, 01:05 PM
My truck is just a tow rig, so the holley works fine, but for offroad, zenith carb all the way :D

fbronco86
02-08-2003, 12:42 PM
yeah until your carb stalls out on a hill and then your truck slams into a tree. thats always fun. like mine did. thats when the mustang fuel injection comes into play more low end power and never stalls out on hills. but its a little more than a carb set up

J Cooper
02-08-2003, 01:33 PM
i was gonna run the mustang set up on my 304. but doesnt AMC use chrysler manifolds?... ive heard the holley truck avenger out performers q-jets on inclines but maybe im wrong? any other suggestions, ill be changing out alot of stuff soon, but on a budget

robertf03
02-08-2003, 02:07 PM
AMC != chrysler

its completely different. i'd leave the stock 2 barrel on there or go efi

J Cooper
02-08-2003, 02:11 PM
i ment isnt AMC a mutt company.... i thought for the 304 they used a ford 302 block and chevy 305 heads and a chrysler manifold, then it has a dodge tf transmition. its not like they dont sell amc manifolds i just ment for a direct swap off a mustang wouldnt bolt up to my 5.0

robertf03
02-08-2003, 02:59 PM
amc is amc. They made their own engines, but why reinvent the wheel with their own transmission, alternator, power steering pump, carb, etc. A smart move on their part. Since the stuff is more standardized. besides, back in the 60's-late 70s car parts were very interchangable. I have a replacement coil for my chevy 2 still in the box. On the back of the box it lists all the cars it fits. Guess what, chevy and ford use the same coil, along with just about every domestic and some import makes for that time period. So is a ford 302 a GM product since it can use a GM coil?

Ford also used saginaw steering pumps in there E150 vans. I think the only chrysler product AMC ever used is the TF transmission. other than that its all delco and motorcraft accessories

lots of other car companies did the same thing. IH is probably the 2nd most notorious after AMC, but they arent the only ones.

J Cooper
02-08-2003, 03:09 PM
i know all that... i use to have a motorcraft carb on it before. I know all about how old cars used all the same ****. ive had my share of classic cars. i know about all the interchangable stuff, the jeep has all motorcraft ingnition too. What ive always heard from mechanics and such is that AMC actually used ford and chevy engine parts "so that they wouldnt have to re-invent the wheel" - I really dont care what they used, its not a big deal if it runs good, just asking if the statement was true. I always thought AMC just had there own 5.0, but its just what others have told me.

robertf03
02-08-2003, 03:25 PM
i hear ya, most mechanics are idiots and I've heard the same thing

oh, and its a 304, not a 5.0 **** the metric system :flipoff2:

J Cooper
02-08-2003, 03:27 PM
amen my brotha

eight
02-08-2003, 09:46 PM
You can get a used projection system off of ebay for about the same price as an avenger. They both need a 4 bbl intake so you'll need a new one anyway.

J Cooper
02-09-2003, 07:47 PM
ok im going TBI and just using and adapter plate, fVck the carbs.
thanks for the ebay ideal
Holley Projection (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2403229022&category=33553)

fbronco86
02-09-2003, 11:14 PM
i would stay with the motorcraft 2 barrel carb. they are good carbs easy to rebuild and dont mess up offroad. I had one on the bronco and then i went to a edlebrock 4b and it stalled out all the time offroad.

J Cooper
02-09-2003, 11:32 PM
i dont have the motorcraft, but nick is rebuilding it for me. and.... no, everytime I go on a long steep incline I feel that it might shut off at anytime and do a little roll down the hill. had too many close calls, so eventually that thing is gone. its either TBI or truck avenger. and plus who wouldnt want a vehicle that starts right up, doesnt die out, better throttle response and gas milage. i know its more but i think its worth it now.

BigRedFord04
02-09-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by J Cooper
who wouldnt want a vehicle that starts right up, doesnt die out, better throttle response and gas milage. i know its more but i think its worth it now.
yes...you are correct (except for the gas mileage part :rolleyes: )....my conversion...oh, wait, nevermind....still, definately worth it :D