PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cell

Ingenloff
02-17-2003, 07:34 PM
What does it take to add an additional fuel tank/cell to a truck??? As in, what does it cost, how difficult is it to do, where is the best place to get it done, etc??...I'm asking b/c I looked at a '70 F-100 in San Antone this past weekend that I'm considering buying, however the fuel tank in it is only 12 gallons or so, and, apparently if I invest in the truck, I'm going to have to look into a method of carrying more gas, and I'd like to have an idea beforehand....I know a few in the club have done this already (Scott?)?

Fredo
02-17-2003, 08:31 PM
Did the 3/4 or 1 tons of that year use a bigger tank? If so, you could track down one of those....maybe a 22-30 tank. Don't know if Ford did that or not, but it's an idea.

robertf03
02-17-2003, 08:53 PM
is it a long or short bed?

i find 12 gallons hard to believe, it might show up as empty at 12, but you probably have 4 gallons left. its a ford thing

if its a long bed, you could put the bigger tank in there, I dont remember what size but i think its 19 gal. then the dual tank from a f150 would probably work, with the selector valve and associated stuff.

eight
02-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Isn't the gas tank in the cab on those trucks. Notice the filler cap. Is this the one?

BigRedFord04
02-18-2003, 01:37 AM
yes it is...behind the seat...very small. the lady said $12 usually fills it up.

Doug Krebs
02-18-2003, 01:51 AM
My brother has a 72 ford with the tank behind the seat. Always makes me feel good driving it knowing that at least i won't be crippled in a major wreck. Anyways, i believe it is 15 gallons. Oh and don't leave the cap off, guy in highschool had one and when he turned out of the parking lot about a .5 gallon came out:D

BMFScout
02-18-2003, 02:28 AM
my dad's chebby has one tank behind the seat and another in front of the rear tire. It also has a manual valve so you just run it until it runs out of gas and then switch it to the other tank, that can be exciting at times :) JcWhitney doesn't list anything before 73 ford gas tanks. maybe a classic ford supplier, I know they are always at the swap meets.

redcagepatrol
02-18-2003, 07:59 AM
Aluminum fuel cells start at $200 with a sender, plastic or steel ones start around $130.

Best bet with that truck is to try and figure a way to get a transfer case in the bed under a toolbox. Installation would be all custom so I couldn't guess on the cost of that.

StevenAg03
02-18-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by redcagepatrol
Aluminum fuel cells start at $200 with a sender, plastic or steel ones start around $130.

Best bet with that truck is to try and figure a way to get a transfer case in the bed under a toolbox. Installation would be all custom so I couldn't guess on the cost of that.

maybe you mean transfer tank scott....i dont think a t-case in the bed would do much good.....:flipoff2:

redcagepatrol
02-18-2003, 10:33 AM
:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Seth
02-18-2003, 10:38 AM
yeah i am with that idea, unless you NEED a fuel cell, then just get a reg in the frame rails tank, or on in the bed. I bet there are companies who make oversize tanks that go in the frame, and if not then you can get the toolbox one. i would try to get 30-35 total gas capacity so that you get decent range on a tank of gas.
Seth

Rex
02-18-2003, 10:55 AM
J.C. Whitney has a bunch of stock tanks and and oversize, but the oversize ones are pretty expensive. If it were me, i'd probably just try to find a tank to use in a junkyard, but here's the link to j.c.whitney's tanks: http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=35390&BQ=jcw2

fbronco86
02-18-2003, 11:49 AM
hey i have an extra tank for a 72 ford truck i will sell it to you for $10 with the yellow cap. I will throw the cap in for free. not sure how big the tank is.

bigFAWKINranger
02-19-2003, 09:49 PM
you COULD do all that BS, OR you could buy a trailable rig.... JIM HOLY selling a pretty sweet EB for $3000... or less. its got a HALF CAB top so it resembles a pick-up and not an SUV, got a cage, locker, 44 front, 9" rear, boggers, and KUSTOM KWALITY zebra paintjob... i swear i've seen it on the trail in magazines before. nice beater as is, could be a good daily driver with small amount of effort.

Ingenloff
02-20-2003, 09:34 AM
I didn't say I was actually BUYING that truck :rolleyes: I just said I was looking at it, and since an extra fuel source would be something I'd need, I figured I'd ask about and learn something.....AND, I do not want a bronco...I want a TRUCK...not to mention, I'm not goin on a damn safari, nor am I attempting to blend in with a herd of zebras; I am, as you suggest, looking for a trailable rig that will double as a relatively reliable daily driver. :p :flipoff2: