PDA

View Full Version : New "Rig" - whattaya think?

Seth
02-21-2003, 01:40 PM
So I got to thinking lately. My dad (and I kinda) have an old '66 M151A1 aka a MUTT (military utility tactical transport) It looks most like a jeep, made by Ford and AM General at least. We bought it for 600 bucks I think, maybe less. We have gone through it some and maybe have 1500-2000 in it total. It is suspended somewhat like a hummer. Independent all the way around. It will never be an extreme wheeling rig, but I was thinking that for relatively little money I could have some fun with it. I will try to cut to the chase. The first picture is what one looks like stock. Ours is in good mechanical shape, but the body is pretty rough. Solid, but rough. So I was thinking about getting it and doing some mods to it, after I saw a pic on a website. (the first one) Then I found a company who actually makes entire repros etc. (the third and fourth pics) I would do all the body work, but they are sheet layered steel which sucks. I still probably would anyways at first for sure. Also I could sell off my body as it has not been de miled by halfing or quartering.. that way I don't cut up a good original body. Some quick specs include 60" fording with snorkels (totally waterproof ignition etc) 60 degree hill ablity, 300 mile range, front and rear diff interchangability along with many other parts, 4.86 gears, 31" tire, 11-12 inches of ground clearance. Just lookign for new ideas or comments etc.
Seth

Seth
02-21-2003, 01:51 PM

Seth
02-21-2003, 01:52 PM

Seth
02-21-2003, 01:53 PM

Seth
02-21-2003, 01:54 PM

robertf03
02-21-2003, 01:56 PM
single speed transfer case, yuk

the whole drivetrain is junk, the engine sucks, the transmissions only ~4:1 first gear, and of course the IFS/IRS, not to mention the title is a little fishy/illegal since they are supposed to be cut up like you mentioned.

I know your not going for an extreme crawler, but I dont think I'd do much more than fire roads with one.

Seth
02-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Yeah i have thought about all that stuff, and that is probably about all I would do with it would be screw around. I dont think I would ever try the street thing unless I went the kit car route. It would not replace a real wheeling rig, be more like a 4wd dune duggy, and still do some work around the farm. Maybe a john deere paint job to go with the tractors. Also it would be something to gain some body knowledge on. you forgot to mention that it was unibody too. :(

Right now it is used around our Pecan Tree farm for stuff that we dont want to hook a tractor up to, but the 4 wheeler is too small for. And the trucks are free that way too. Kind of like one of those red mules on campus. Easy in, easy out, etc. Light and does not tear up the groud.

Seth

CRaSHnBuRN
02-21-2003, 08:23 PM
I'm guessin you know why most of the thigs were cut up instead of being released to the public, right? They roll way to easy.

froader03
02-21-2003, 11:08 PM
my best friend's dad is one of the military jeep gurus of Texas, so if you ever have trouble finding replacement stuff let me know. I've driven some 151s and they're pretty cool. fun to mess around with on the farm and easy to fix. there's a guy here in town that's big into that stuff. I think his name is brett mullins, but I could be wrong. flem knows though.

Seth
02-22-2003, 12:32 PM
Hey Chris - Saying that they roll way to easily is kind of a blanket statement. I have done some corners in that thing faster than i will ever do again and never even felt tippy, the video on their a website I saw shows them going across a pretty steep hill no prob. Yeah they might roll, but its not THAT easy.

Seth

CRaSHnBuRN
02-23-2003, 05:19 PM
Yeah, it is kinda a blanket statement, but there is some truth to it. Up in fredericksburg there is a dodge dealership that had been selling these things as hunting rigs. I can't remember if these were repros, or just built from old parts, but they were pretty nice looking. A few years ago I talked to one of the salesman about them, and I asked if he knew about why the military had destroyed most of them. He replied kinda sheepishly, yeah, they're prone to rolling. Later, as I was out looking at them, he came back to talk to me, and told me how one night him and another saleman had taken one for a quick spin around the lot, and guess what? They took one turn a little to fast (actually in his words not very fast at all) and nearly ended up upside down. Now that said I do think theyre a cool looking rig, and would be something fun to play with. I'd just make sure I had a good cage before I got a little crazy with it.