PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Radius arm suspension owners

Graystroke
02-27-2003, 06:25 PM
I've been following this on POR. A lot of the guys have already drilled their bushings and say it works great. Getting about 12" of wheel travel on STOCK Range Rover. I guess same would apply for all Bronco and FJ80 owners. Here's the link:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115952

robertf03
02-27-2003, 06:57 PM
i saw that, and was amazed someone tried that :eek:

when I replace the stock rubber bushings with poly bushings on jeep leaf springs I usually have to drill them just like they did no the board. it doesnt take too many twists with a screwdriver or prybar to rip the bushing apart. I wouldn't try it, but thats just me.

oh, and ford radius arms don't use that same type of mount on the axle, its a wierd clamp design

Graystroke
02-27-2003, 08:41 PM
I'm going to try it. The guys down in OZ flog the crap out those trucks and have reported no real bad side effects. there are some compromises and bushings are cheap. the ones that the guy is making aren't punched all the way thru. there is about a 1/4" of material left in the middle. I can't find any other way to get wheel travel as cheap. And it's a lot better than the one sided hinged raduis arm thing all the bronco guys do. down right scary when going down a hill and braking.

BMFScout
02-28-2003, 01:25 AM
leaf spring conversion with a spring over :flipoff2:

Krawler68
02-28-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Graystroke
. And it's a lot better than the one sided hinged raduis arm thing all the bronco guys do. down right scary when going down a hill and braking.

I haven't wheeled mine with the wristed arm, but I went and hit a gravel pit or two this last weekend just to see what the EB would do... I came down some VERY steep ****... nearly endoed it once... I didn't notice any dive in the front suspension when on the brakes. What kind of poor characteristics? I haven't even heard one guy running the arm complain about anything like this.

Doug