PDA

View Full Version : Axle Wrap Sucks!

BigRedFord04
02-28-2003, 09:36 PM
I was crossing Wellborn today by Albritton Tower coming towards campus, crossed the RR trax and heard a funny sound, crossed Wellborn and hit the bump on the campus side....click, click, boom...kinda like the song goes...the 2nd bump and axle wrap combined didnt like each other and the truck suffered. Broke the one of the yoke eyes on the "adapter" (or whatever you want to call it that holds my rear u-joint to the flat plate input on the rear diff). It made all kinds of funny dragging sounds until the driveshaft came out of the front slip yoke and fell off. I stopped and locked the hubs and drove it to the parking lot in front wheel drive then went back for the driveshaft. After a trip to Gordons (thx for driving, john) and digging thru the driveshaft pile i found one w/ the same bolt pattern and beat it off the driveshaft it was connected to. Got back to the truck to put it on and DOH!...not the same u-joint! Went to ho'reillys and Boomhauer hooked me up with a "combination u-joint" that has two different size ends. Thx Landon. I now champion the "jackass kustom u-joint". I got the driveshaft back on but as John pointed out, it also broke one of my u-bolts so i'll be looking for another tomorrow. Anyone know somewhere in town i can have one made??

eight
03-01-2003, 05:01 AM
I may be mistaken, but I think O'rieley's stocks the u-bolts, though you may have to run all over town to find the right one.

aggielr
03-01-2003, 01:23 PM
if you go over to chops auto, they'll tell you all ubolts are the same width, just different lengths, so i would avoid that place

you can get the ones from ho'reilly, but they aren't the best, they work ok for stock lenght, but i wouldn't trust them for lift blocks,

i know this part sucks, but call 4wpw and tell them you found them for about $5 ea/ less than what they sell them for, they will more than likely send superlift ones that aren't that bad