PDA

View Full Version : I have to trust my life with these welds. ;)

Chadnutz
03-12-2003, 05:06 PM

Chadnutz
03-12-2003, 05:08 PM

Chadnutz
03-12-2003, 05:09 PM

Chadnutz
03-12-2003, 05:10 PM
I was doing alright until I broke the horizontal ban
saw blade. If I could go back, I'd actually measure
and mark the metal before I cut it. I was just eye
balling it. You can see that the angles aren't the
same from one side to the other. In pairs they are.
Simply cosmetics though. I don't care all that much.

Graystroke
03-13-2003, 10:18 PM
looks like you need more heat on the welds (don't look like they penetrated the parent material real well) if you're wire welding either turn down the wire feed speed or turn up the amperage (or both). if you're stick weldinig, turn up the heat and slow down as you're dragging across. you may also not want to grind so much material away b/c you'll compromise the welds strength.

also you could try beveling the edges of you pieces to get a more penetrating weld as well as a more finnished look. just some ideas.........

Chadnutz
03-13-2003, 10:53 PM
I was thinking that I might make another set and actually measure this time. When I ground down the weld I didn't see a line, so I figured I was getting decent penetration. It looks so perty when you grind it down though! Maybe next time I will grind 45s on the edges so I can fill in that space and then still grind it down. I'm sure these would be strong enough anyway, but the more practice I get the better I will get. I definitly don't want the spring hanger to fall off the frame. :/ Thanks.

I was using mig by the way, and I'll turn up the heat.

robertf03
03-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Graystroke
looks like you need more heat on the welds (don't look like they penetrated the parent material real well) if you're wire welding either turn down the wire feed speed or turn up the amperage (or both). if you're stick weldinig, turn up the heat and slow down as you're dragging across. you may also not want to grind so much material away b/c you'll compromise the welds strength.

It looks like theres some undercutting on the right side of that hanger, might not be the heat, just how he's using it.

Try going slower with half moons till the metals warm up, then fuse the bitch together.

and I agree, dont grind the weld on anything structural

eight
03-14-2003, 05:58 PM
If you could get away with it, I wouldn't have ground the welds off that much.

BMFScout
03-15-2003, 03:49 PM
make the welds sick, and then don't grind at all, good welds look cooler anyway.