PDA

View Full Version : Jeep suspension crap

bburris
03-23-2003, 02:51 PM
:flipoff2:

I need some stuff to further mutilate my Jeep's rear

I need some 2.5" wide leaves - YJ/XJ, whatever - let me know what you might have

I also need one or two 2.5" wide crap springs to use for a 3/4 elliptical setup.

suggestions for shackles - I don't think I'll need ones that add lift...it's probably going to end up bigger than I want anyway

a good source for motor mounts - they're kustom, so should I start calling around? MORE? AA? any others...?

BigRedFord04
03-24-2003, 02:49 PM
2wd F150s `80-96 use 2.5" wide rear leaves

CRaSHnBuRN
03-30-2003, 09:55 PM
Would a set of rear springs from a toy work? They're 2.5in wide and if I remember right the rates are similar to yjs.

If so I have 2 sets, one from a 86 4runner and the set from my truck. The ones from my truck used to flex like mad, much better than the all-pro junk I have now. You could use one set for the springs, the other for the 3/4 elliptical. Just a thought.

bburris
03-30-2003, 10:37 PM
How much for the flexier set, and a price on all four so I know for next weekend when I'm in town?

BMFScout
03-31-2003, 12:13 AM
I heard some guys were using dodge dakota springs I think. They are offset to one end. This would be cool b/c you could put the short end to the rear of the jeep, the long end to the front, and longer springs mean better flex. I don't know where I read that, but it seemed like a cool idea. might be worth a trip to the junkyard to do some measuring and research.

bburris
03-31-2003, 12:31 AM
don't know about Dodge Dakota springs - XJ springs are like that though, and are more plentiful in junkyards. If I find a set I'll probably get them. The main problem I will run into will be cutting the rear fenders to compensate for the extended wheelbase.

CRaSHnBuRN
03-31-2003, 08:35 AM
Does $100 for all 4 sound good?

Here are some measurements I found on them. They're offset so you could do what jimmy was talking about. I think they should all be really flexible.

89-95 Toy Rear- 51" long, 21.5" front half, 29.5" rear half

80-88 Toy rear- 48" long, 20.5" front half, 27.5" rear half

bburris
03-31-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by LostIt
Does $100 for all 4 sound good?

Here are some measurements I found on them. They're offset so you could do what jimmy was talking about. I think they should all be really flexible.

89-95 Toy Rear- 51" long, 21.5" front half, 29.5" rear half

80-88 Toy rear- 48" long, 20.5" front half, 27.5" rear half

I'm going to measure my frame and figure some stuff out and I'll let you know later tonight...

bburris
04-01-2003, 02:18 AM
OK, assuming springs can be used facing either direction (swap the front/rear offset so more length is in front) (it's late, I don't know leaf springs and I'm really tired) I think those will cause more trouble than I want. If I extend my wheelbase back that far with the offset of the spring greater in the front I will hit my gas tank with almost any uptravel, and there's no way I can afford to lose any driveline length.

So basically, thanks, but no thanks - I'll go to Pick-a-Part and measure and find what I need, unless someone has some XJ springs and can measure them for me so as to rule out another type or maybe figure out what I need.

Besides, I'm bastardizing my Jeep enough with leaves, I think all the people at JU would disown me if I used Toyota springs. :flipoff2:

BMFScout
04-01-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by bburris
If I extend my wheelbase back that far with the offset of the spring greater in the front I will hit my gas tank with almost any uptravel, and there's no way I can afford to lose any driveline length.

can"t you make the front mount as far forward as you like? then there would be no added driveline length, you would however need a spring with the same or very similar distance on one end that is found on yj's to fix you gas tank issue. so let's say that a stock yj spring is 25" from center pin to spring eye, and the toyota spring was 25" on one end and 35" on the other, i would think that you could put the 35" end toward the front as far forward as needed to center the axle, and the 25" end toward the rear to be the distance you need. maybe i read your post wrong, but i don't see why this wouldn't work.

BMFScout
04-01-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by bburris

Besides, I'm bastardizing my Jeep enough with leaves, I think all the people at JU would disown me if I used Toyota springs. :flipoff2:

but a scout 44 is ok? :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

bburris
04-01-2003, 09:47 AM
no, but a Ford 9" will be

see, GPs were first made by Ford, so that's ok

you like my Rick Pewe-ish thinking Flem?:flipoff2:

Seriously thought, a D44 would be like stock, TJs come with them now so I wouldn't be doing that much of an axle swap... but Toyota springs? Come on - my Jeep was already made in Mexico, I can't put Jap into it's bloodline.

CRaSHnBuRN
04-01-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by eight
Do you remember how much arch these toy springs had when on the truck? Toy weighs about 3000 lbs? I'll eventully need a little more lift. I have about 1" arch right now.

If I remember right the truck weighed in around 3500 stock. The springs from my truck had a nice arch to them, not much but definitley not flat and worn out. Kinda hard to remember just how much arch was on it though. The springs on the runner are much flatter. I could bring a set up here sometime and let you take a look at it if you want.

Jeep people, I'll never understand it. ;) I'll cut up and bastardize any vehicle I can get my hands on if I think it'll make my rig better. You don't even want to hear the ideas that are brewing in my head for my next buildup. But to each thier own.

CRaSHnBuRN
04-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Oh yeah, if you need more spring info check out this site. Has quite a few measurements for different springs

http://www.4x4spot.com/spring_swap_info.htm[/URL]

bburris
04-01-2003, 12:08 PM
I was just talking crap. The Toy springs would be great, but they just won't work. I want my shackles close to the rear of the vehicle and the front hangers wherever they need to be so they don't interfere with my crossmember. Thanks for the site, I got the Rancho .pdf file in my bookmarks and it looks like a 44044 would be ideal...now if I can just find a pair. :rolleyes:

CRaSHnBuRN
04-01-2003, 05:31 PM
I know you're just talking crap, thats why I gave you a hard time. I kinda doubted you would use toy stuff anyway, its just I had a set so I figured I would see if you want it.

Eight, I would say they springs were between 2-3.5 when I had them on the truck.

CRaSHnBuRN
04-01-2003, 05:33 PM
Oh yeah, good luck on finding a set of 44044's unless you buy them new. Those are the hot ticket for a lot of vehicles, including toys.