PDA

View Full Version : Headers?

JB
03-24-2003, 10:04 PM
I swapped a friend of mine my stock exhaust manifolds for his set of Dynomax ceramic coated headers and will sometime soon put them on. But I have a few questions.

They are pretty nasty looking, a little surface rust and mostly dried on mud. What should I do too get them cleaned up a bit? I wanted to just spray them with some high-temp flat black, but need to get them clean first. Sandblast? Or jsut let htem socak in parts cleaner? Other suggestions?

Do I need special gaskets, like different from just the regular exhaust gaskets?

SHould I buy new bolts? The guy at Ho'reillys said I should find some that are "locking" and won't back out.

Thanks

eight
03-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Sand blast them and paint them with something like this. (http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=8&s=85&p=451&searchtype=ecat) Most high temp flat black will burn off.

Do get new bolts. Mine are holding fine with regular lock washers.

Try to find some better gaskets. My jeep's leak just a little bit with NAPA gaskets.

aggielr
03-24-2003, 10:51 PM
copper gaskets work well

JB
03-24-2003, 10:53 PM
Thanks eight.

Where aroudn B/CS can I get stuff sandblasted?

Also, is there any place around here that does powdercoating? (not for the headers? just in general?

thanks

Fredo
03-25-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by aggielr
copper gaskets work well

You're one out of 5 million who can get copper gaskets to seal then. I wouldn't stray from fel-pro on header gaskets.

aggielr
03-25-2003, 12:24 AM
sealed very well on nikki's blazer, and didn't have to fawk w/ them, that was after the new heads were put on

BigRedFord04
03-25-2003, 01:12 AM
copper gaskets work well on mine too....2 in 5 million....:flipoff2: ....theres a guy in the club (David) that does powdercoating and brags all the time about how good it is...he's one of Jimmy Mancuso's friends