PDA

View Full Version : flat towing

fbronco86
04-01-2003, 05:08 PM
alright i was thinking about flat towing the bronco around since i dont have the funds to buy me a trailer. anyone have any ideas. yeah you dont get any brakes but the trailer i used for spring break had no brakes either my f250 stops it just fine.

eight
04-01-2003, 06:09 PM
Too heavy. It makes a really big difference between flat towing and trailering. My jeep will push the dodge, wouldn't want to tow anything bigger. You've got all 1 ton drivetrain anyway, just drive it. Maybe carry a tow bar in case you have to get towed, someone could pull you slowly. That's what I'll do if I ever drive the jeep anywhere.

You could build a car dolly so that you could drive the bronco's tires 2-3' in front of the dolly's axle thus putting weight on the truck. I may eventually do that for the jeep. You've allready got a junk full floater to make the axle out of and a good pair of 16" tires. Just need a little somethin to make a little frame and hitch out of.

fbronco86
04-01-2003, 11:31 PM
yes the bronco gets like 7mpg that is my reason for towing

fbronco86
04-02-2003, 12:30 AM
i am not understanding the weight issue here. the trailer i had no brakes. So that means my truck had to stop the trailer and the truck. So stopping the truck by it self would be much easier i would think.

eight
04-02-2003, 01:02 AM
The truck's brakes can do it, it just doesn't have enough traction to stop the 5000 lb bronco pushing on it. On a trailer, there is some of the weight allready on the truck and when stopping, more weight is transfered onto the truck. Also the bronco will want to push the rear of your truck sideways when skidding while a trailer is less likely to do that. This the reason I made my tow bar so long. The back end of your truck is really light. While the whole truck probably weighs about 6200 lbs, less than 2000 lbs is on the rear wheels.

Doug Krebs
04-02-2003, 01:20 AM
Ahhh, I understand what the pollock is trying to say!

Broncocustom
04-02-2003, 08:35 AM
Flat towing is also a pain when trying to back up your truck. I flat towed the bronco to several places including Moab. The bronco was heavier then my f-150. I did jack knife once going to S.A. when flat towing.

redcagepatrol
04-02-2003, 08:41 AM
I flat tow Lynda's Heep and the Patrol all over Houston and to CS and back sometimes. I even flat towed Lynda's Heep to Clayton a few months ago without any problems except throwing a front axle ujoint because it jot stuck in 4x4.

Broncocustom
04-02-2003, 08:47 AM
RJ had some major problems flat towing the jeep back from KC.

I probably flat towed the bronco for over 3000 miles with only the one problem. You just have to be carefull when you are stopping.

Scott the jeep is a lot lighter then your truck, which helps with the stopping.

fbronco86
04-02-2003, 01:57 PM
alright i think i got what you are saying. maybe time to fork over the money for a trailer.

Tariqui
04-02-2003, 05:06 PM
flat towing sucks i flat towed the cj behind the wagoneer and i jack knifed it pulling into a parking lot going about 5 mph that was enough flat towing for me oh and i bent lydna's tow bar sorry :)

redcagepatrol
04-02-2003, 05:10 PM
that was MY towbar!!! It took me like 4hrs to fix too! It took away precious hours of hard work on the Patrol - you own me some wrench time...:D

mark
04-02-2003, 07:02 PM
My CJ has over 10K miles on it being flat towed. I have never had a problem. The rule here is that if you can't drive it on the highway because its too damn scary, you probalbly need to put it on a trailer. That and I don't think I've ever towed it with anything weighing less than twice the weight of the Jeep.

-Mark

Tariqui
04-02-2003, 08:47 PM
wrench time huh well how about making some new front exo-cage bars i got the stinger made good ole greg helped me bend it out im down wiht some wrench time :)