PDA

View Full Version : Crossover and Hi-Steer for the 60

Doug Krebs
04-01-2003, 08:47 PM
Cody is going to make the arms, so basically i need tie rod ends, tubing, and a 2wd steering box.

So, I think people normally use 1/4 wall DOM for the drag link and the tie rod???

If not, what do they use and can you get either around here?

I'm going to order the 7/8 weld in bungs and jam nuts for the ends.

Anything else i will need????

Rex
04-01-2003, 10:00 PM
Might as well try to make it beefy, Jason Larman uses 1.5" SOLID stock. Just some food for thought. If you ever want to run big tires, i think you'll bend the 1/4" :D

Doug Krebs
04-01-2003, 11:19 PM
I thought solid was weaker than tube????

AgDieseler
04-01-2003, 11:43 PM
ORD tierods (http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/HDsteeringlinkage.htm)

Doug Krebs
04-01-2003, 11:52 PM
sorry, not paying 180 for tie rod and draglink

Chadnutz
04-02-2003, 12:13 AM
Landon is picking up some 1.5" with .25" wall DOM from Houston soon. Tubing is stronger than solid stock for taking hits from rocks. It was deemed true from past mechanical engineers in the club.

Doug Krebs
04-02-2003, 12:15 AM
When is he doing that? I would be interested also in this buy.

robertf03
04-02-2003, 12:57 AM
Mountain Off Road, Mark Williams, and several other mail order companies sell the tubing by the foot if you need a small quantity.

Why do you need a 2wd steering box? I thought the e150 van pitman arm was all you needed for the stock box to work.

aggielr
04-02-2003, 12:58 AM
next thursday, i'm leavin here about 12:45 or so, if you want somethin from there, i'm takin orders

Doug Krebs
04-02-2003, 01:00 AM
Are you going to Triple S??? And you mean thursday the 10th??

redcagepatrol
04-02-2003, 08:47 AM
if you plan on rockcrawling and have the tie rod in harms way, 1/4" thick is not near think enough. I straightened my 1-1/4" x0.250 wall DOM tie rod way too many times before I sleaved it with some sch80 pipe.

Lee Novikoff runs 1.5" chromolly solid stock. It is actually cheaper than DOM and he says he can rest his entire truck on it, use a jack to lift the truck, and slam into rocks without bending.

Krawler68
04-02-2003, 09:05 AM
I run a sleeved Cromo tie rod... 1.5" 4130... may not look huge, but I pushed it around a lot this weekend to no avail, and Matt hodges says it's not likely to break...it's what he runs.

Doug

Cajun
04-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by redcagepatrol

Lee Novikoff runs 1.5" chromolly solid stock. It is actually cheaper than DOM and he says he can rest his entire truck on it, use a jack to lift the truck, and slam into rocks without bending.

How much does something like that go for? How 'bout yours, Doug?

Also, what is Cody wanting for his steering arms?

Krawler68
04-02-2003, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't run solid stock... it's actually not as strong and brute strength... maybe chromo has enough integrity to flex back, but mild steel solid stock has too much memory and will flex a lot and eventually become brittle.

I think my Cromo steering setup cost me around 300 bucks at West texas offroad... I think the performance Unlimited stuff RJ and Ash have is badass... they now have some SERIOUSLY beefy stuff available... and it looks sexy too.

All I have going for mine in the looks dept. is my "nuckin futs" sticker.

Doug

BMFScout
04-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Doug, are you running the tie rod and drag link both up high? If so, fawk it, 1.5" od, .25 wall is enough. That is a BIG piece of draglink/steering tube, I think you would have to drive like kieswetter to bend it. :flipoff2: You do not want to put solid on there, I heard somewhere in one of my classes I should have been paying attention in that it is actaually weaker than tubing, something about surface area. Plus that is just a ****load of unneeded, unsprung weight. I got mine from Dallas, www.metalsupermarkets.com they shipped it to me, so I am sure I took it in the ass as far as price goes.

Krawler68
04-02-2003, 12:32 PM
you make it...I can bend it...

Doug

Doug Krebs
04-02-2003, 03:04 PM
The business major i am, I know jimmy is right. I believe it has to do with the surface are of the Outside and Inside diameter. As opposed to only the Outside diameter on solid. Also, I'm hoping not to bash rocks with this since it is hi steer, and should be out of the way.

With that said, shouldn't 1.5 with .25 wall be strong enough??

redcagepatrol
04-02-2003, 03:08 PM
yes

Shaggy
04-02-2003, 03:23 PM
i'm doing a high steer setup with hydro-assist this summer when i do my axle swap... not sure on the length er anything but was wondering how much you guys are taking about. I would like to get in on this now if the prices are right... lemme know

stinger7401
04-02-2003, 04:02 PM
i can get any metal from triple s still shiped to my front door at a oem price and mark it up a little and still be cheaper than just anybody going up there and picking up something. give me call and let see what i can do on prices and maybe you can save a little bet by buying from me. there is also a place in brookshire called tube sales were i buy my tubing for driveshaft and cages and they have odd ball sizes and alot of different alloys. i am going to brookshire pretty soon to pick up some tubing for driveshafts and for my dads jeep cage, but don't know when yet so if you need anything let me know and maybe i can pick something up for somebody for a small price.

email me cody@hughesfab.com
phone 936 825 4884