PDA

View Full Version : front locker

robertf03
04-26-2002, 01:12 AM
Been thinking about what I'm going to do about a front locker, heres my theory that dieselboy pointed out a while back. With a detroit any time theres power to the axle its basically a spool, so you can either have a spooled front, or 2wd.

I really would like to have an open diff up front like an ARB or Ox, but I've heard many horror stories on ARB's blowing up, and Ox's are too new to be proven. Most of these ARB stories are on dana 30's and 35's. Do you think the Dana 44 ARB is up to the task of handling 38.5" tires? And are air leaks a real problem?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Ox lockers? Does the cable shift mechanism work ok? It seems like something that would bind at the worst possible time

StevenAg03
04-26-2002, 02:08 AM
just spool both ends and be done....

mark
04-26-2002, 10:07 AM
Detroits don't actually spool up when power is applied. What a detroit does is to allow one wheel to turn faster than the ring gear. In other words, when you turn, the inside wheel turns at the speed of the ring gear, while the outside wheel freewheels faster than the ring gear. The probelm is that this causes a push towards the outside of the turn if you increase the amount of applied power. Let off and the vehicle will return towards the intended line. This is the "Detroit Swerve." If you apply enough juice to spin the inside tire in the turn, it will catch up to the speed of the outside wheel and the locker engages again resulting in a nice fishtail.

Problems happen when there is not enough traction to unlock the locker in a turn (ice, sand), then you might as well have a spool. But most of the time you will never notice a Detroit.

I don't agree with spooling the front. It is nearly impossible to turn in low traction situations in 4wd. Spooling the back is fine if you dont mind tire wear and the "Troy lean" when you corner.
A Detroit is marginal for the front on the street, but great on the trail. In the back, a Detroit is OK for a short wheelbase while almost unnoticed in a long wheelbase. A selectable locker is best for 4wd on the road and trail. But You have to remember to lock it before you get into trouble.

Detroits take the prize for me because they are so durable and don't require any thought to operate.

An ARB won't have a problem with 38.5's but the Dana 44 wont like it much.

-Mark

Jason
04-26-2002, 10:16 AM
To second what Mark said, Detroits do not act like a spool in the front. I ran a lock-right that never unlocked for a while. Everything was a 3-5 point turn, and that was assuming you could actually turn. It wore out a power steering pump really fast as well. It wouldn't even unlock when in 2 wheel drive. Made for an interesting attempt to turn after a 2-3 minute trip down a straight road. Steering nearly locked up as I didn't see the need to unlock the hubs. On the other hand, I have a detroit now. Steering works fine, turning radius is 5-6 times better in most situations, no wierd handling, huge difference. After having a lock-right brand "spool", I would definatly spend the $$$ on a detroit again. At least for the front. On a SWB, I prefer the Spool in the rear.

StevenAg03
04-26-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by mark
Spooling the back is fine if you dont mind tire wear and the "Troy lean" when you corner.
-Mark

mark the reason that troy's jeep leans so bad is because it is coil sprung....no leaf spring vehicle would do what troys does....

Fredo
04-26-2002, 10:32 AM
I've seen a spooled cherokee that leans damn near as bad as troys in a corner and it has leaf springs in the back.

As for the locker, I would suggest a full detroit for the front. Very nice operation and no air lines/cables to worry about.

Krawler68
04-26-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by robertf03
Do you think the Dana 44 ARB is up to the task of handling 38.5" tires? And are air leaks a real problem?

Air leaks aren't a problem if you spend the moeny and buy good hose. And Lee ran an ARB for alot of years with NO failures on 36's or 38's in his D44. I say go ARB if you want to be a ***** about it. :D Go ahead and go Detroit and do hydro assist steering...

Krawler68
04-26-2002, 02:17 PM
"A Detroit is marginal for the front on the street, but great on the trail. In the back, a Detroit is OK for a short wheelbase while almost unnoticed in a long wheelbase. "

I sure do notice mine in my powerstroke... it feels like i am about to lose a R+P to crappy backlash every time I hit the gas when i'm going anywhere from 30-70 MPH.

Jackasic
04-26-2002, 08:48 PM
wow, your first lee referance. You must have weaned yourself fom him as you sole source of info and inspiration.:D

StevenAg03
04-27-2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Fredo
I've seen a spooled cherokee that leans damn near as bad as troys in a corner and it has leaf springs in the back.

As for the locker, I would suggest a full detroit for the front. Very nice operation and no air lines/cables to worry about.

i would suspect that the lean is due to the fact that it has front coils...mine does not lean like troy's does....

Krawler68
04-28-2002, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Jackasic
wow, your first lee referance. You must have weaned yourself fom him as you sole source of info and inspiration.:D

Biatch... :D Not that he isn't good source of information...