PDA

View Full Version : new distributor

J Cooper
04-15-2003, 01:11 AM
just dropped $379 on this bad boy... should get my heep running and a nice complement to the TBI

robertf03
04-15-2003, 09:20 AM
I paid 200 for mine :flipoff2:

do they at least put in a better ICM and coil than stock?

J Cooper
04-15-2003, 09:13 PM
$200? **** you.. where... was it used? its a D.U.I. from Performance distributors.. it has a 50,000 volt coil and a dyna module. oh well its already ordered. :flipoff2:

robertf03
04-15-2003, 10:18 PM
its not DUI, but its the same concept, GM HEI distributor made to fit an AMC block.

got it from cape coast jeep conversions back in 99. Not sure what they are charging now.

J Cooper
04-16-2003, 12:18 AM
thats cool, i thought you just bought it.... are you happy with it, can you tell a difference?

BigRedFord04
04-16-2003, 12:44 AM
sh!t nigga...you talkin' to flem....that **** aint ran since the reagan administration :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

J Cooper
04-16-2003, 12:58 AM
yeah well mine hasnt run since i knew where my tires were :eek:

J Cooper
04-21-2003, 05:26 PM
well I ordered on the 14th and its now monday the 21st and they havent even mailed it out yet, they were back ordered from Performance Distributors so they have to make them by hand and couldnt send one out till this thurs. so i told her i needed one by thurs for my trip and she said "ok well we have them here on the shelf, just need to know what color cap you want" what the ****!!! so yeah ill be cutting it close. doesnt look like ill be making it out with the staff thurs night. hopefully friday if i take it at all now, i just put about 1k in it and havent driven it in awhile, so not really sure if I wanna test out my new equipment on the side of a hill. **** i can never catch a break

by the way i got a clear cap... its probably gonna be gay but "were all a little gay"
right doug?

robertf03
04-21-2003, 05:46 PM
i noticed a huge difference when I went from prestolite (gold box) ignition to HEI on my 258. I havent ran anything but HEI on my 360.

I'm about to go back to duraspark for my tbi swap rather than hack up a good HEI distributor to work with tbi, but i'm using computer controlled timing.

J Cooper
04-22-2003, 11:45 PM
hey flem.. what did you do about the solenoid? will the same one work with just the one hot (crank wire) and then tape off the second post or do i need to get like a ford type? havent got it in yet, but i wanna be able to have what i need before it gets here on thurs!!!!:mad: :flipoff2:

J Cooper
04-24-2003, 01:19 PM
its 1:20 on thursday and still no distributor!!! starting to sweat, not looking good my friends!!!:(

robertf03
04-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Cooper is there something wrong with the distributor you have right now?

If you need to rig something up in the mean time, let me know, I can *** rig any ignition :D

I wired it right into the ignitino switch, i did not hook it up to the post on the solenoid. it worked fine. HEI doesnt draw that much power.

Seth
04-24-2003, 02:08 PM
I was kinda thinking the same thing - can you not go buy a cheapo just to run for the weekend and then return it? You know, walmart rental style.

Seth

J Cooper
04-24-2003, 03:19 PM
the distributor works, its the ignition thats jacked somewhere and we can not figure it out, i bought the HEI because it puts all your ignition in one place. i dont know what happened, one day it worked fine, the next day i tried to start it and it wouldnt turn over, and the solenoid started smoking and then froze shut, i changed that and the resistor and the same thing, so i de-ghettofied my engine swap wiring and ran it just like painless and chiltons said, and it still did the same thing, thats why i was going HEI, it was either buy a new wiring harness for 300 for th HEI for 379. we ****ed with it for over a week, tested every wire and all the parts and found no improvement. if i dont get the distributor in today im just not gonna go and let my $50 entrance fee go to waist.

robertf03
04-24-2003, 03:24 PM
go spend 20 bucks on a 79 chevy HEI ICM, some aluminum angle, and some wire and do this

http://www.theottoshop.com/budget/tech/HEI/hei.htm

works great on my truck

J Cooper
04-24-2003, 05:07 PM
OK now there just ****ing with me.... UPS just drove right past my house with me standing in the driveway... **** **** ****

EDIT: they were ****ing with me, the same guy came back 10 minutes later to drop it off.... "now your all in big trouble"