PDA

View Full Version : So much for that idea

Krawler68
04-15-2003, 07:58 AM
Thought I might actually be done fixing the EB in time for TCC. After working on the EB for 2 days solid this last weekend I thought I had fixed my problems... seem like I may have a warped head now though... I installed new head gaskets and seem to still have a coolant leak out the back of the intake manifold, and a possible oil leak. The water temp gauge still isn't reading correctly, and after a 45 minute drive yesterday it was running a little hot (boiling radiator...just not enough pressure to pop my cap). I am also getting HELLA knocking from it around 2200-3000 RPMs... any takers? Anybody have a nice 302 long block they want to get rid of? I'm not exactly excited about dumping MORE money into this already tired 302.

On the plus side... after replacing the head gasket I seem to have solved several of the problems I had in llano... no serious oil leaks... doesn't start stuttering and backfiring under load in 4th gear. It actually seems to run well except for the temperature thing, the frothy coolant/oil mixture on my oil cap, and a lot of valve noise.

Doug

Cajun
04-15-2003, 08:50 AM
11 DAYS

Krawler68
04-15-2003, 09:05 AM
frankly I COULD make it... but I won't.

Reasons I could make it...
-brakes should only take one short evening to adjust and bleed out.
-intake manifold should only take one short evening.
-don't really need to replace shift cover... just need to stuff a rag in the hole and go to town.
-shouldn't overheat if I am careful to shut it down between runs and don't give it too crazy a workout...may not even get warm if i get intake sealed right.

Reasons I won't make it...
-I have now scheduled a semi-formal dinner in Lubbock
-my valves are making more noise than a retarded, black charismatic speaking in tongues on a Saturday night...
-I am not in the mood to go and have another weekend where I am constantly breaking stupid little stuff. I want to at least fix the problems I know I have.
-I have a goal... going back to school at A&M and getting a degree. I am 23 hours short of this goal, and if I do not pull a 3.0 this semester I will not get a shot at completing said goal. I have three tests this week and next week. Needless to say I don't think my priorities are out of line.

Andy... we will wheel together soon enough. I intend to compete in the stock class in September in Mason... we'll discuss our scheduling there.

Doug

Cajun
04-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Can't argue with the school stuff, good luck.

redcagepatrol
04-15-2003, 09:50 AM
you're gona put 35's on that beast ??? Should be interesting. Good luck with school

bburris
04-15-2003, 09:54 AM
when did he say that?

redcagepatrol
04-15-2003, 09:56 AM
said he would compete in the stock class in September in Mason... I read into it

Krawler68
04-15-2003, 10:12 AM
Yeah I'm going to put 35's on it to compete in the stock class... It should be VERY interesting... we'll see how many rolls I can do... I think I have found some 35's and beadlocks to run just for the comp... it'll mean i can fully get it without fragging as many driveline parts.

I should be able to pull off the school stuff..I just can't afford to blow it off any longer. Thanks for the good wishes. I WILL be done by the end of the next school year. I am tired of the uncertainty.

Doug

bburris
04-15-2003, 10:17 AM
ahh, I thought I was more out of the loop than I already know I am. I was thinking maybe Doug was going to downgrade to 35s and give me the 38s.:flipoff2:

ROKN ZJ
04-15-2003, 02:43 PM
Doug I've told you before that you can't run your EB in the stock class. You don't have stock inner fenders...

Hal

Krawler68
04-15-2003, 03:00 PM
talked with Rich and i don't need them for NAARCA...

Doug

BMFScout
04-15-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Krawler68
Anybody have a nice 302 long block they want to get rid of? I'm not exactly excited about dumping MORE money into this already tired 302.
Doug

Small block chevy, that would be wicked pissah, that is my idea of reliable fun anyway... Even I know that f*rd motors suck cack...(don't mind me, I've been piss drunk at the chicken ever since the power went out...)

Krawler68
04-16-2003, 08:20 AM
ALLRIGHT>..rock and ****ing roll...

I have three motor options now... which sounds best?

1) running 302 out of my 1977 Bronco. It is dirty and has about 80,000
miles on it. Before I pulled it I checked the cylinder pressure. All
cylinders were between 115 and 135 psi. This thing is complete from carb to
pan. If you are interested let me know. $150.00.

2) a healthy, stock 302 in my 74 that needs a home. The engine was
rebuilt in '98 but has not seen a lot of use since then. Less than 5K on it
as I have moved twice and have been remodeling a house and my time and money
were going other places Minus all accessories $400

3)I have a 302 sitting in Caries Bronco you are welcome to buy. It has always run perfectly. Has about 30k on it. I put a new timing chain, Eldlebock dual plane upper intake and the matching cam in it, but other than that its bone stock. $300 and its yours. But you have to pull it! :)

I am thinking option 3 from lee may be the best one...

Doug

redcagepatrol
04-16-2003, 08:27 AM
only Lee would have three engines laying around...

a 3 a 3 a fawcking 3

Krawler68
04-16-2003, 08:44 AM
belive it or not Lee only has ONE motor laying around the other two options aren't his.

I like number one because it's complete and CHEAP, but I like number two because it's fresh and I'm confident it's in goold shape... however it is NOT cheap... Lee's 300 dollar option seems like the best, but isn't that fresh, and has sat for a while... on the other hand it is my favorite because it has been warmed a little and would run MUCH better than my stock motor with 2 bbl intake... AND would allow me to ditch my 300A propane fuel mixer and step up to an IMpco 425 that is a VERY kick butt unit.

Doug

Cajun
04-16-2003, 09:12 AM
You get what you pay for. If you want something that's ready to go, spend the $400 on #2 and be done with it. If you're willing to put in some time, effort, and more $, go for option #3. I like this one the best because you'll end up with more motor in the long run.

Krawler68
04-16-2003, 09:27 AM
I'm thinking I'll get an Impco 425 and go with #3... I think Lee might have a crappy 4bbl that will tide me over for a while. I just need it as a throttle plate for my 300A right now until I can find a 425.

Doug

BigRedFord04
04-16-2003, 10:02 AM
i wouldnt suggest you getting #1...115-135 isnt that good...new 302's if built right can push ~225. like andy said, you get what you pay for.

Krawler68
04-16-2003, 10:08 AM
I was under the impression that actual compression rating was less important than having even distribution of compression ratings... I think #3 is a given at this point.

Doug

robertf03
04-16-2003, 11:08 AM
Doug there are 3 302 short blocks for sale on cowtownjeeps

StevenAg03
04-16-2003, 11:18 AM
you are right doug....i have never seen a stock motor at 200+ compression. mine was only at 110 when i first got it.

Doug Krebs
04-16-2003, 12:13 PM
I hate to ask you this, but did you use a good torque wrench when tightening the heads and use the proper torque sequence????

Krawler68
04-16-2003, 12:46 PM
hell no... :D

Doug Krebs
04-16-2003, 01:30 PM
That would most likely be the cause of blowing head gaskets. A new motor is not going to fix blowing head gaskets unless you use a torque wrench or the heads are already on the motor!

Krawler68
04-16-2003, 01:39 PM
the heads are already on it... actually i think I COULD fix my motor if I wanted, for a price... I just am tired of dumping money into it... it's old and VERY tired... and this is a perfect opportunity to install a new one since I need a new clutch soon anyway.

Last time we put head gaskets on we used a torque wrench and the right torque pattern... it still didn't last very long. It's just an old motor, and i am reluctant to spend any more on it.

It's the only thing that i haven't rebuilt or replaced in the EB...

Doug

redcagepatrol
04-16-2003, 01:55 PM
didn't you already re-build the top half because of something stupid???

bad timing? backfire? plug wires on backwards? no oil - all in driveway?

just can't seem to remember how you broke it at the Dexter house

Krawler68
04-16-2003, 01:58 PM
I actually didn't break it the first time we replaced the head gaskets... we just did it because we did the whole top half, mainly because it wasn't running at all (I am sure it wasn't the head gasket, but we did it this way anyway)... we just didn't rebuild the heads. We did everything by the book, but the driver's side head gasket didn't hold... I'm sick of having this motor act up...I'm gonna get one somebody has had good luck with, and keep this one around as spare parts.

Doug