PDA

View Full Version : Engine problem, need diagnosis...

Cajun
04-18-2003, 11:05 PM
When we fired up the Blazer this afternoon after being idle for 2 weeks, we got a considerable amount of white smoke from the left tailpipe (350 running true duals). Shortly thereafter, I noticed what appeared to be antifreeze leaking from the left exhaust pipe, the same one that was smoking badly. I haven't drained the oil, but the dipstick wasn't milky and showed no signs of water/coolant in the oil.

What are we dealing with here?

EDIT: After smoking for 10-15 minutes, both the smoking and leaking stopped, but we had some lingering smoke from around the exhaust manifold on the left side. The engine sounds and runs fine.

BigRedFord04
04-19-2003, 12:06 AM
when my dad's old truck started leaking antifreeze from the exhaust flange gasket it ended up being a blown head gasket. it got progressively worse until the truck wouldnt start and would go thru 4 gallons of antifreeze in a 20 min drive. hope thats not it. good luck.

Chadnutz
04-19-2003, 01:25 AM
I'm pretty sure thats the problem. My Mazda has that problem. After 3 head gastket changes and a remanned head I decided to quit dumping money into it. Hence the Powerstroke.

White smoke = water
Blue smoke = oil
Black smoke = fuel

I'm sure you know that.

Fredo
04-19-2003, 02:16 AM
It's a smallblock chevy.....it probably had a slight intake leak, which lead to the smoke in the left side, and they will usually clear up, or get worse. If it's the head gasket, it will progressively get worse. If I were you, I would religiously check the oil and coolant levels and see what it does. If it happens to have little black specks in the coolant, it's probably the head gasket, or mikly looking oil would indicate a head gasket also. I've seen multiple chevy's blow white looking smoke after sitting and then once they continue normal service do nothing out of the ordinary. As I said, keep an eye on it, and see what it does.