PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light

BigRedFord04
04-21-2003, 01:50 AM
During my trip to Llano a few weekends ago my check engine light came on when i was pulling this broken ch**y to the front. The truck started running light sh!t and i soon realized that the #7 spark plug wire had come off the plug and was arcing to the oil dipstick tube. I put it back on and the truck ran better, but the light was still on. current symptoms are varied RPM @ idle (kinda floats up and down between 600-800) and it will sometimes die when i come to a stop after driving kinda hard. i'm kinda thinkin' it might be the Idle Air Control Motor, i'm not sure what EXACTLY it does but the name is kinda self explanitory. any other ideas?

fbronco86
04-22-2003, 09:14 PM
code reader?

aggielr
04-22-2003, 09:18 PM
use the ho'reilly one, but the idle air control motor kinda acts as an active idle set on a carb, lets x amount of air in depending on tps, O2, map, and rpm, so if its idleing funny and dies sometimes when you stop, thats probably it

BigRedFord04
04-22-2003, 09:22 PM
mine's not OBDII or i would use the ho'reilly one...glad you think thats what it is too. hopefully easy fix.

aggielr
04-22-2003, 09:23 PM
the ho'reilly one works w/ obd1 and 2

robertf03
04-22-2003, 10:24 PM
i paid 30 bucks for a eec IV scanner.

dont need it anymore now that I got that gay computer feed back **** out of the way. theres a way to read the codes with a volt meter or test light, you have to jump to connections and then hook the light/meter into 2 on the diagnostic plug, then look up the code. haynes says how to do it in the book, and I'm sure if you search you can find it online