PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for a new body for the bronco

Broncocustom
04-28-2002, 06:13 PM
I made a post in the wanted area but I thought I would post here and get some ideas from everyone. I want to junk the bronco body for something that is not all rusted.

I would like something smaller then the bronco. I read the post that seth had made and the response about the scouts. I can get a scout for around $600. How hard is it to get things like doors or a roof for a scout and would they be expensive.

I am open for any vehicle ideas. I plan on using my current drive train so I do not care if the vehicle is 2wd or has a weak drivetrain.

StevenAg03
04-28-2002, 06:47 PM
why not use the F1 stuff like you had originally planned on doing...

Broncocustom
04-28-2002, 06:59 PM
At this time I still want to save the F1 for a nice street truck, to be worked on when I am older or Amie makes me work onit or get rid of it.

BMFScout
04-28-2002, 07:40 PM
I could probably let a pair of doors in fair condition go for cheep. I don't have any tops I could let go right now that are worth a sh it. If you decide against the scout you had in mind, I might be interested in it, always in the market for a scout. The cheapest way I have found to obtain parts is to buy entire vheicles and take what you want off of it, (350 for a running, driving scout) Most scouts I know have a fair bit of rust on them, kind of a downfall. I say use a scout body though, we don't have enough scouts in this club. By nature I can't approve of the ford drivetrain, but a scout on 42's would be badass regardless of motorvation.

Krawler68
04-29-2002, 01:03 AM
MUSTANG II body...:D :D Nah I think it would be cool to just put a truck cab on it and chop the top...maybe build a cutom flatbed... not many folks use truck cabs...would be kinda sweet... 78-79 highboy cab... those look good too.

robertf03
04-29-2002, 01:04 AM
I know your workin on your bronco over there in toyota land, but why not stretch a CJ or YJ tub and have the biggest Jeep on the trails?

robertf03
04-29-2002, 01:13 AM
heres a guy who was putting a YJ tub on a dodge 1 ton frame until the tires and rear axle were stolen.

StevenAg03
04-29-2002, 07:53 AM
is that the guy that had the brand new 44'" Boggers stolen?? what ever came of his jeep...i heard they stole everything except the frame and engine...

Krawler68
04-29-2002, 09:23 AM
damn that sucks.... and James...just say no to YJ...

StevenAg03
04-29-2002, 09:26 AM
i would put one of those damned square head lighted vehicle bodies on a project before an EB body..

Krawler68
04-29-2002, 09:28 AM
Note: no one ever suggested an EB body... hell a Mustang II would be cooler than an EB body... Hell I want to put a Bronco II body on my EB because of how much I hate the EB body... :Flipoff2: damn I want that graemiln.

robertf03
04-29-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by StevenAg03
is that the guy that had the brand new 44'" Boggers stolen?? what ever came of his jeep...i heard they stole everything except the frame and engine...

The cops found the frame, engine, and front 60 on a ditch on the side of somehighway northeast of Dallas. Whoever stole it was obviously a dumbass if they didn't take the 60.

Broncocustom
04-29-2002, 11:27 AM
NO JEEPS!!!!

I thought about only using a cab and front and making a bed. I also do not want an EB, because then I would be compared to Doug and nobody wants that. I plan on finding a hole truck to buy and not buying each body part by it self. What ever I get will get FORD badges on it.

robertf03
04-29-2002, 01:14 PM
If your not doing a Jeep tub then I'd have to vote on the scout tub.

Doesn't Ford use IH diesels? That would make it almost factory.

You should set up a poll

Scout tub
EB tub
stretched Geo Metro tub
Nissan Patrol tub :D

redcagepatrol
04-29-2002, 03:02 PM
custom sheetmetal or leave it the way it is.

He will NEVER finish if he keeps adding stuff to do. If you want fullsize, keep what you have.

Krawler68
04-29-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Broncocustom
NO JEEPS!!

I also do not want an EB, because then I would be compared to Doug and nobody wants that.

No heeps is good... I think a 4 door cab that fits perfectly on your frame would be kinda tight.

as for the last comment... A S S HOLE..:D

agshooter
04-29-2002, 03:30 PM
I kinda agree with nix, I've seen some rigs where the guys tkae jimmy and blazer bodies onto fulsize frames, and it just looks like more trouble than its worth cuz you gotta cut the frame or extend the body. If you really want something smaller with Ford emblems, look at pickup cabs if you don't want and SUV style. If you wnat something with a box insteadof just a box look at B2 or exploder bodies(just know that the ploder odies are hella rigid and dont like to flex alot) thats just what Ican come up with for now

Broncocustom
04-29-2002, 03:57 PM
Scott,

I will finish it sometime. I have no time limit. I just do not want a vehicle that is all rusted. If I find something I like I might get motivated. Part of the reason I have been draging my feet on the Bronco is because I could not decide if I wanted to continue on working on something that floor will eventualy fall out of. My wanting to work on vehicle comes in waves. There is always someone to ride with on the trail so my truck can take a long time to finish, no hurry.

Amie, also finally gave me permission this weekend to spend some money on a new body.

Krawler68
04-29-2002, 04:09 PM
hmmm... James your philosophy is sound alot like mine... is this what happens when we spend this much time building a rig and have VERY little trail time?

davido
04-29-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by robertf03
Whoever stole it was obviously a dumbass if they didn't take the 60.

Probably because it's CAD. :rainbow:

No need for a new body James, just make some of these: :D
http://www.lonestar-ebc.com/content/members/doug_kieswetter/doug_k_np435_web.jpg

If you do go new, I vote Bronco II. De-definitely. Definitely. :)

redcagepatrol
04-29-2002, 11:07 PM
Good call David, they sell new floorboards. They sell sheetmetal, they sell diamondplate. It all sounds a whole lot better than putting a new body on it. You would have to redo everything you have done. Fuel cell, tubbing, cage, body work, etc...

davido
04-29-2002, 11:15 PM
Now that we're on the "why-tear-down-a-perfectly-good-trail-rig-to-start-another-while-missing-quality-trail-time" thread, what the heck were you thinking with YOUR truck Scott?

Do you REALLY need any parts off of it for the current project or could you just as easily found other parts and been wheeling the whole time. Just wondering??

~dso
Sick of being the TAMOR historian/picture monkey need trail rig

redcagepatrol
04-29-2002, 11:25 PM
I couldn't afford a new crawler, tranny and engine, and I didn't want to buy more Birfields

StevenAg03
04-29-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by redcagepatrol
I couldn't afford a new crawler, tranny and engine, and I didn't want to buy more Birfields

i thought you were planning on using different axles then what is under your truck now..or was inder it rather....

also you could have done everything and saved the motor for last....

Broncocustom
04-29-2002, 11:32 PM
The tubbing and roll cage suck. They might look ok but it all weighs a ton. If I were to start over I could use some material a little less heavy. I have been looking around on the internet to see if I could find a new '78 body from the west that is not rusted. I would then be able to reuse some of the work I have done on the bronco.

Krawler68
04-29-2002, 11:47 PM
didn't you put the 60 and 70 under it so it could STAY heavy? And now that weight reduction is the topic... my liberal use of 1/8" diamond plate for flooring and such may have been a little ill concieved... damn I think the EB is turning into a tubby bitch. I'm shaving weight wherever I can and it's still going to be heavy. I'm definetley dovetailing the bitch and taking a few louvers out of the front grill...

BMFScout
05-02-2002, 01:28 PM
not to be a bitch , but louvers don't remove any material...

StevenAg03
05-02-2002, 01:31 PM
he is not talking about putting louvers in the hood to remove material...he is saying that he is gonna remove some of the slatts out of the grill....i mean that must remove at leaste 2 pounds...well worth it if you ask me...

Krawler68
05-02-2002, 03:11 PM
actually it will take out a strip of material all the way back on my bronco... I'm removing the slats to narrow the frontend and make it easier to fit down tight canyons... It'll mean narrowing the hood too... I'll also be doetailing the rear eventually...that will take of some additional weight when i dump the tailgate and bed material. Basically I inted to ditch most everything but the body skins as time goes on.

davido
05-02-2002, 06:33 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I've seen that bef.... oh yeah, now I know where....

http://www.4offrd.com/arb0500/arb24-15.jpg

Krawler68
05-02-2002, 07:11 PM
I'm prolly going to run hummer wheels and 42's by then too... maybe just 39.5" TSL's... But Nope, I won't narrow it like gremillion... I want to leave the middle stock width and just shave down the front and rears so that I won't be bashing body panels on every passing rock...

davido
05-02-2002, 07:21 PM
Just the front and rear. That's pretty interesting. It will look cool. have you seen this already?

StevenAg03
05-06-2002, 07:23 AM
here is a couple of pics of an Izuzu Amigo...i think it would look pretty bad arse with 60/70 combo and 42's...

StevenAg03
05-06-2002, 07:24 AM
and one more from the rear....it has 38's on it for refrence...

Broncocustom
05-06-2002, 08:04 AM
Does this guy have a web sit? As Steve already knows I am now looking for an Amigo to use as the new truck.

StevenAg03
05-06-2002, 08:08 AM
http://mjw.com/amigo/

thats all i can come up with...i am pretty sure it is his website though....his name on POR is "Belly Dragger"

Broncocustom
05-06-2002, 09:06 AM
I did some research on that Amigo. It was built by an offroad shop.

D60 front/D70 rear
ARB's front and rear with 5.13 gears
Disc's on all four
38.5 SX's
Toyota transmission with dual marlin transfer cases 370:1 crawl ratio
16" coilovers in the front with a 4 link
12" coilovers in the rear with a 3 link
Ram assit steering

There are a punch of pictures of the truck at:
www.mjw.com/amigo
Go to the technical data page and then to the link next to the pictures of the amigo at the bottom.

davido
05-06-2002, 03:28 PM
Noooooooo. Not the Amigo! Pleeeeeeease James, anything but the Amigo. :)

Cajun
05-11-2002, 03:10 PM
I say either do the pickup-cab-flatbed thing or go hybrid style with a Ranger cab and exo cage.

Or, you could do something like this, which would be super cool:

http://www.sierrarockcrawlers.com/data/srcforumuploads/yube.jpg

http://www.sierrarockcrawlers.com/data/srcforumuploads/yubby.jpg

I'm talking about the tube rear section. Throw in some additional diagonal support bars, and that would look sweet behind a truck cab of some sort, IMO.