PDA

View Full Version : D44 v Ford 9"

bburris
04-29-2002, 12:51 AM
ok, summer is almost here and I will be towing the Jeep to College Station to repair it back to some sort of running condition (if that means I have to run behind it and push to make it go then that's how it will be)

I also have suspension plans in the make that Robert and I figured out last summer that will be implemented while the engine is being fixed.

So to get a debate started, should I use a Ford 9 from the Ford Ranchero at the j-yard on 21, or should I keep looking and try to find a Waggy or Scout rear D44 instead? I've seen ring gear comparisons and such, but what is everyone's general opinion on the which is better all around?

Krawler68
04-29-2002, 12:59 AM
One question...is it a 31 spline unit? I think it is... if so... WTF? are you kidding? The ford 9" ring gear is as strong as a D60 ring gear... the axles are indefinetely upgradable... and you get a dual piniong bearing setup... The only downside is the low pinion angle... and you'll just need a set of good sized meats to cure that.

robertf03
04-29-2002, 01:00 AM
I'd go for the ford 9". If you want a scout axle I got one that I don't think I'm going to use. I just need it for a couple more months to hold the jeep up till I can get around to finishing up the axle swap after the drivetrain swap and TBI is finished.

robertf03
04-29-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Krawler68
The only downside is the low pinion angle... and you'll just need a set of good sized meats to cure that.

How would big tires fix low pinion angle? you'll need some wheelbase to play with to fix that problem. TJ should have enough

bburris
04-29-2002, 01:09 AM
how far can the pinion be degreed up to fix this?
I don't want moo-jeep like problems, so what can I do besides get oversized 'meats'
I'd like to run 35s or 36s because I don't think the engine will take much more and I know the D30 will have problems, but there's no way I can afford to fix that anytime soon.
Also, what about the center sections with the higher pinion, are they as strong as a stock Ford 9, or are they a whole lot weaker?

robertf03
04-29-2002, 01:18 AM
I'm pretty sure that Currie is the only company that makes the high pinion center section. I've heard very mixed opinions on them from people running them. It uses excursion front reverse cut 8.8 gears in a custom machined carrier. I dont know about that, and its expensive. When Steven and I stopped at Tom Ellisons shop over spring break he said that some company (I think Precision Gear) was working on a true reverse cut 9" gear set. If and when that comes out, you should be able to just swap out centersections to upgrade.

Krawler68
04-29-2002, 09:26 AM
I think the HP centersection is a bad idea... my drivetrain allows for ALOT better pinion angle than with jeeps... I hadn't even thought about the driveshaft length. I mainly refered to the pinion placement because it's easy to bash on rocks... Ask troy what he thinks about the difference... he's run both axles on a TJ.

StevenAg03
04-29-2002, 02:24 PM
use what ever you get the better deal on. i would personally go with the 9" cause it is easier to change gears and is a bit stronger....

also i think it has the correct bolt patter...right?

agshooter
04-29-2002, 02:42 PM
I think Ford and Jeep usually have the same bolt pattern. I know at least my roomates exploder and my cj use the same bolt patterns. I thinks its a 5 on 51/2 but don'thold me to it.

StevenAg03
04-29-2002, 02:45 PM
ford full sizes use the same bolt pattern as CJ's....exlporers have a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern like that in TJ's/YJ's.....i think the rancharo uses a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern ....

bburris
04-29-2002, 04:46 PM
can't remember what the ranchero had, but I want to go to 5 on 5.5 since I have to get new wheels and tires anyway

Chadnutz
04-29-2002, 05:28 PM
Is there a D44 that has 6 lug bolt pattern? If not, what does besides a Toyota and GM stuff? I'm looking for something that isn't full width so I don't have to deal with this narrowing stuff on the rear.... Is it possible to change a 9" to 6 lug? If so, how much does it cost?

robertf03
04-29-2002, 05:36 PM
wagoneer axles are 6 on 5.5 and 60" wide, theres a 64" wide version too, harder to find though. Theres a bunch of Isuzu 44s at east 21 that are 6 on 5.5, but I dont know how wide they are.

Krawler68
04-29-2002, 06:09 PM
The only thing you need to change on a 9 inch to get 6 lug pattern is the axles...the company you buy them from will machine the flange to be the right bolt pattern.

StevenAg03
04-29-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Krawler68
The only thing you need to change on a 9 inch to get 6 lug pattern is the axles...the company you buy them from will machine the flange to be the right bolt pattern.

so you can put 5 lug drums on a 6 lug axle???? or wait a minute...you dont really even need breaks do you....brett...just bolt the wheel directly to the axle flange....no breaks...i mean hell you got them on the front dont you?

:D :D :D :D

Krawler68
04-29-2002, 06:27 PM
fawk you...that's what downshifting is for...just make sure you have both u-joint straps attached...

Chadnutz
04-29-2002, 06:47 PM
How much do they want for one? How would I find a locker for
it? Do you look for a Isuzu D44 locker or what? ANyone know the spline count and all that stuff on it? Brakes?

Nutz

StevenAg03
04-29-2002, 08:44 PM
you get a dana 44 locker...you will have to know the spline count for it though....the dont really need to know what vehicle it is out of

BigRedFord04
04-29-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by StevenAg03

so you can put 5 lug drums on a 6 lug axle???? or wait a minute...you dont really even need breaks do you....brett...just bolt the wheel directly to the axle flange....no breaks...i mean hell you got them on the front dont you?

:D :D :D :D

This is for applications w/ brakes on the driveshaft...duh...:p