PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Hub

Chadnutz
04-30-2003, 02:23 PM
What kind of seal would leak in my front locking hub? I have some oil seeping out. Same with the bearing carrier in the rear.

Seth
04-30-2003, 03:08 PM
which truck?

Chadnutz
04-30-2003, 03:28 PM
Ford.

Mazda has one piece hubs.

froader03
04-30-2003, 06:19 PM
axle seals

Doug Krebs
04-30-2003, 10:20 PM
Is it diff fluid coming from the housing by the U-joint? If so your in a for a good time. Half to pull the shaft out which involves removing the rotor and spindle. Then you have to tak the carrier out. Then you remove the seals from the outer side with a piece of pipe or something. Then you install the opposite. For example:

To get the passenger side seal out, you stick the tool you made down the passenger side tool from the knuckle and beat it out into the pumpkin. I'd line the inside with shop towels so that nasty **** from the tube doesn't get in.

To install the passenger side you put the seal in place and the take stick the tool you made in from the drivers side and hit it in.

Have fun!!

Chadnutz
04-30-2003, 10:45 PM
Sounds like fun.

Doug Krebs
04-30-2003, 10:53 PM
****ing sucks!! Is that the problem? If that thing has a dana 60 i have a tool you can use to do it. Let me know when you are doing it and i'll see if I can help you.

Chadnutz
04-30-2003, 11:15 PM
Help would be GREATLY appreciated. It is a Dana 60. If I open it up I will go ahead and completely rebuild it. May as well have it set for the next 150,000 miles. I'd probably even ospho and paint it and sand blast the hubs.

This got me thinking about a write up section. I know it has been discussed before. I think it would be pretty beneficial to have an axle rebuild writeup. I know several of us can do a Toyota write up, and after this, a Dana write up. We should establish some tech resources here, and also a beginners guide to rock crawling containing everything from treading lightly to what to carry to what the difference between differentials is. We should establish ourselves as a plethora of information just as other clubs do. I am willing to put the time and effort into it. I know others are as well.

I know we have some stuff like this, but I mean COMPLETE. We can compile other data as well, like what trucks have what axles and the like....

Chadnutz
05-01-2003, 06:02 AM
Wait a minute. How would it be my axle seals when any gear oil leaking past them would just leak at the knuckle? This seepage is right by the manual locking hub.

Krawler68
05-01-2003, 08:59 AM
this kind of leakage is normal...

don't sweat it... my hubs sling grease streaks all over my rims. there isn't a seal to stop it... just pull the hub cover/switch, clean up the inside with a shop rag and at most use the silicone idea Ryan had.

Doug