PDA

View Full Version : Plans for buggy

CRaSHnBuRN
05-02-2003, 09:22 PM
Okay, tommorow I begin to strip my yota down to begin the buggy, or as eight would term it "stage 3" :D So far this I what I have.

1. Build tube buggy using existing frame and other goodies not destroyed in roll
2. Relocate items such as battery, gas tank, radiator, and shocks
3. OBA out of my old ac compressor (won't be needing it anymore)
4. Perhaps modify air intake to run off the back of the engine, like Chris Gieger did (cleaner looking, easier to build snorkel)
5. rebuild front axle, repair hysteer, and any other damage

So far, my plans are for a buggy that looks similar to gieger's in the cab area, with a more slanted and tube intensive rear. As for the front, I'm still trying to come up with a clean looking design.

At this time, my biggest concern is the firewall. Simply put, I want to lose the stock one. It would be easier to keep it, but that would require me keeping the stock floorboard to retain the body mounts, which I think will make the truck look more hacked than it already is. So I wonder how hard it will be to simply hang everything off a peice of tubing? Seems like it shouldn't be to hard. Pedals, thier related parts, and the steering wheel are all I really have to worry about right? Then I would just build a new cleaner looking firewall out of aluminum or plexi that follows the buggy's lines better. Scott how did you do yours?

mark
05-02-2003, 09:51 PM
I smell some kustom fabricatin.

eight
05-03-2003, 04:03 AM
That would be "Round 3".

eight
05-03-2003, 11:10 AM
You gonna use some of the toy skins to keep a little of its look? Maybe parts of the hood and front clip. Sounds like a hell of a project.

CRaSHnBuRN
05-03-2003, 07:26 PM
I dunno, the plans are still really up in the air. Like I said, I may go ahead and build a buggy, or just keep the front clip and hood (which I actually have opening and closing again). Right now option two is looking more appealing simply becuase I can have it going again quickly. Amazingly the truck started up without a problem, even after sitting for a week after the roll. I figured it would have at least had a dead battery. The bed should be off tonight, and I'll probally start choppin the cab tommorow.

Matt Conlee
05-04-2003, 11:48 AM
How about that buggy frame you might buy. Lets see some pics

CRaSHnBuRN
05-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Here is the buggy gieger is trying to sell me http://www.trailtoys.com/geiger/index.html

Basically I get it minus the running gear and suspension, which I would just swap over. Its a cool idea, as I could quickly rebuild and be back on the trails quickly, and the cost isn't bad. But it takes some of the fun out of building it, and the simple logistics of getting it back from Kali would be a killer. So I'll probally just stick with the stock front clip, tubed rear idea on my truck. I've been playing around with the idea in paint, and have begun to come up with some fair looking designs. I think I'm gonna run the tubes connecting the front bumper to the actual cage inside my fenders since they're already trashed.

Sadly I had hoped to get alot of work done this weekend, but spent most of it looking at tow rigs. I think I may have found a nice diesel 4x4 crew cab ford, and I'll probally go take a better look at it tonight.

StevenAg03
05-04-2003, 01:28 PM
does that thing not have any floor boards or anything

Chadnutz
05-04-2003, 01:36 PM
I'll pick that frame up for the cost of diesel and $72/day.

CRaSHnBuRN
05-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Nah, like I said, it sounds like a good deal, but I don't think I'll go with that plan. Whn I talked about it at the bbq, I had just gotten the email for the guy, and it had my mind racing, but now I really don't think I want it. I don't have the cash, and I really want to keep as much as my truck as possible, becuase simply put, its mine. I built it, and it was the first truck I ever drove and wheeled all those long years ago.

Seth
05-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Chadnutz
I'll pick that frame up for the cost of diesel and $72/day.

i know there is some calculatioin for that amount -- what is 72 bucks a day? what you would make here working?

Chadnutz
05-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Right on the money, but I don't have any prize for you.