PDA

View Full Version : working on the Bronco

Shaggy
05-19-2003, 01:57 PM
well i just ordered my springs and am gonna be going either wed or thursday to pick them up form 4wheelparts houston. i am starting to tear the thing apart today so if anyone wants to help it would be greatly appreciated. you can get me on my cell or just drop by.

Shaggy
05-19-2003, 06:28 PM
made some good progress... im gonna take a shower then ill put some pictures up

Shaggy
05-19-2003, 07:14 PM

Shaggy
05-19-2003, 07:14 PM

Shaggy
05-19-2003, 07:15 PM

Shaggy
05-19-2003, 07:16 PM

Shaggy
05-19-2003, 07:17 PM
this one is of the spring pirch on the bad axle housing... you can kinda see how it bent in the tube and cracked it.

Shaggy
05-19-2003, 07:18 PM
just to let yall know what i am doing, i pulled my rear axle because my old housing is fubared. i also pulled my rear springs because i am putting in new ones without any blocks:D

Doug Krebs
05-19-2003, 10:43 PM
For the love of god get rid of that bumper before it hurts any more innocent rocks in Las Cruces!!!!

BMFScout
05-20-2003, 02:34 AM
how did you get that door back on there? I bet it closes really good...:flipoff2:

Shaggy
05-20-2003, 10:04 AM
the bumpers will be going, just give me some time. and let me tell ya that door does close fantastic:flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
05-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Give you time????? I see about 5 minutes with the cutting torch in the future!!!

bigFAWKINranger
05-23-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Doug Krebs
Give you time????? I see about 5 minutes with the cutting torch in the future!!!
exactly, thats what i tell bigredturd04 all the time... just hack the mother F'ers off and THEN sell them.don't give me the "i wanna get rid of em" bullcrud- if you wanted to you would... its EASY!!
tate- did you fix the burb? i got the ranger runnin pretty reliable so if you NEED me to come to waco again i can.

Shaggy
05-23-2003, 05:34 AM
well i got the new to me transfercase in and made it to college station fine... now my damn tranny is shifting hard... i need to get it back to waco to the tranny shop before it blows... atleast it is still under warrenty... i think

bigFAWKINranger
05-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy
well i got the new to me transfercase in and made it to college station fine... now my damn tranny is shifting hard... i need to get it back to waco to the tranny shop before it blows... atleast it is still under warrenty... i think
did you refill the tranny with fluid?? i bet you lost 2 quarts on the shop floor.not to mention the gallon in the transfer case that ended up on me.:flipoff2:
check the tranny fluid level... it may be low. glad you're t case worked for you.... i still say you coulda got it for $150... :rolleyes:

Doug Krebs
05-23-2003, 11:51 AM
If the tranny is shifting hard it is probalby not the fluid. Low fluid usually makes it have funny, slow, or late shifts.

What was wrong with the transfer case???? If it is a 208, I don't know how you broke it. My case has alot of abuse and alot of miles. The only problem is if you hit the case on a rock, or if you don't have enough of the slip yoke engaged on the splines.

Shaggy
05-23-2003, 08:11 PM
i filled up the transfercase and the the transmission back up yes yes.
the reason i had to replace it is because it kept slipping out in 2wd. i had to put it in 4 high and get out and push it into gear. this new one is working fine but unfortunatly my tranny is pooping out again. it really doesnt matter to me... the burban will only be mine for about 1 more week.

Shaggy
05-23-2003, 08:14 PM
New springs

Shaggy
05-23-2003, 08:15 PM
they are procomp 6"

Shaggy
05-23-2003, 08:28 PM
if anyone is in town and is interested in helping me put in my new springs and my rear axle back in, i am gonna be working on it tomorrow when i get off work starting around 8:00am... not like any of you are gonna be up but it would be nice to have a little help. i really need to get her going given that i wont have another form of transportation next week this time if everything doesnt go right on the caprice

Shaggy
05-24-2003, 02:53 PM
ok getting a little late start. it is about 3 and i am about to get started if anyone wants to help.

Shaggy
05-24-2003, 08:26 PM
i took the overload springs to allow more flex... i dont know yet but i think i am gonna have to put them back in so my truck doesnt sit too baha

Shaggy
05-24-2003, 08:27 PM
here is a pic once i had the springs on the truck

Shaggy
05-24-2003, 08:28 PM
this is a pic of how the spring mounts onto the rear... these springs are a little shorter and without any weight the thing sits flat. it was straight up before... i think this will alow much more flex but take away from lift significantly

Shaggy
05-24-2003, 08:30 PM
i started to sand the new housing down and i need to finish... i am gonna put a fresh coat of pain on it so it can bling

PS: sanding by hand gets old really fast

Chadnutz
05-24-2003, 08:49 PM
A N G L E G R I N D E R :flipoff2:

Shaggy
05-25-2003, 01:54 AM
ya davido said i could use his with a wirewheel for the rest of it. i went ahead and put the overload spring back on because andy let me know that it would only limit up travel which i need and that if i didnt i would get killer axle wrap, which i am putting springs on to illiminate

Shaggy
05-25-2003, 08:05 PM
housing painted

Shaggy
05-25-2003, 08:06 PM
housing mounted

Shaggy
05-25-2003, 08:06 PM
still need to bolt up the 3rd member and put in my axleshafts and all that fun stuff

Shaggy
05-25-2003, 08:50 PM
got the 3rd member installed

Shaggy
05-25-2003, 08:51 PM
springs with the weight of the truck

Shaggy
05-25-2003, 08:53 PM
this shackle thingy fliped back up with some weight... all i gotta say is that it is gonna be mad flexy... i bounced on it and they are hella soft:D i'll see tomorrow how baha it is gonna be... looks like it is gonna be pretty bad... oh well i am gonna bring the front spring hoops up when i do the sas

Shaggy
05-26-2003, 06:41 PM
passanger side finished

Shaggy
05-26-2003, 06:42 PM
driverside finished

Shaggy
05-26-2003, 06:42 PM
pic of it on the ground... baha style

Shaggy
05-26-2003, 06:44 PM
driverside baha... i bounced on it and it is really damn soft... i cant wait to wheel it. i still need to get a new yoake and u-joints before it will drive but other than that she is ready to go

Shaggy
05-26-2003, 08:25 PM
went ahead and mounted the shocks and put in new u-joints in the rear of the driveshaft and mounted the front of it... partially filled with gear oil... all i need to do now is find a yoake and bolt that up top off with gear oil, bolt driveshaft on, and bleed the breaks and she will be on the road again

Shaggy
05-26-2003, 08:27 PM
here is a picture of the fubared yoake... the tab that holds in the u-joint on one side is gone and it is a little ground down in other spots

Doug Krebs
05-27-2003, 01:21 PM
No shackle flip????? I thought it was pretty easy and really cheap to do on fords??? That would have made flatters springs......

And that bumper is still on there!!!!

BigRedFord04
05-27-2003, 01:43 PM
if you look @ the 2nd pic of the leaf springs installed where the shackle is laying flat it shows a good picture of the shackle mount. you can see it hangs below the frame. you can only do it if you have a body lift b.c. the shackle mount when flipped sticks up above the frame.

Shaggy
05-27-2003, 02:08 PM
cant shackle flip without body lift... and the bumpers wont be on for long... just need to bust out the grinder

Doug Krebs
05-27-2003, 04:54 PM
I've seen some canadian ways people do it on blazers and broncos. They leave the bracket in the same spot but cut out the bottom part of the bracket. Then they weld supports from the tops of the bracket... can't really describe it without a pic....

Or he could just cut some holes in the bottom of the floor like he did for the role cage :flipoff2:

Shaggy
05-27-2003, 05:19 PM
i actually didnt cut the holes and it wasnt my idea... covering the holes is something i have put off :flipoff2: , i got it all going and am about to take a grinder to the welds holding the rear bumper on... i am taking it off to make you happy doug:flipoff2: i also only have rear wheel drive right now and want to ramp it on something and it is in the way but whatever

Shaggy
05-27-2003, 05:20 PM
all back together

Shaggy
05-27-2003, 05:21 PM
pass side

Shaggy
05-27-2003, 05:22 PM
driver side, for some reason my driverside front is higher so it looks more baha on this side... the springs actually brought it to right about the height i was aiming for... just cant wait for the sas so the front can come down too

Shaggy
05-27-2003, 05:26 PM
oh and i forgot to mention untill i have someone to help me bleed the breaks i wont have any rear ones... just cruzin on the front ones right now... fun stuff:flipoff2:

Shaggy
05-27-2003, 05:45 PM
well although the welds on the rear bumper are ugly as sin it is on there pretty good... it is gusseted all the way to the top of the framerail and i cant get a grinder in there...if anyone has any ideas of are just a little fater than me wanna come jump on it let me know... now dont you hate when people weld things on your truck that only need to be bolted and dont ask first...damnit

Seth
05-27-2003, 06:22 PM
what are you going to do with the bumper?

Shaggy
05-27-2003, 06:49 PM
sell it... why you want it?

bburris
05-27-2003, 07:18 PM
is it a Ranch Hand?

Shaggy
05-27-2003, 08:47 PM
i dont think it is ranch hand but none the less it is one one of ranch hand's compeditors... ill go look at it later

bburris
05-27-2003, 08:50 PM
that's what I meant - no brand preference, just getting an idea of what it is since I haven't ever looked that close...

How much are you asking if you sell it?

JB
05-27-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Doug Krebs
No shackle flip????? I thought it was pretty easy and really cheap to do on fords??? That would have made flatters springs......

And that bumper is still on there!!!!

Shackle Flip (http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=299)

edit, the www.fullsizebronco.com board is down right now, check the link later.

You can do a shackle flip on your Bronco pretty easily adn you do not need a BL. You just can't do it the way Ausin did his.

Shaggy
05-28-2003, 09:40 AM
not sure how much i want wet... havent ordered material to build the new ****

Doug Krebs
05-28-2003, 01:03 PM
Holy **** do you like pictures!!!! Talk about eating bandwidth!!!

Shaggy
05-28-2003, 06:18 PM
sorry just got a digital and i enjoy using it:flipoff2:

bigFAWKINranger
05-28-2003, 08:19 PM
tate- email me some of our cab swap pics.... you posted like, 60 pics of your damn spring install and 6 of my cab swap... xxxrangerpimpxxx@netzero.net please.

JB
05-28-2003, 11:23 PM
http://www.texas4x4.org/albums/album33/MVC_183F.jpg

Shaggy
05-29-2003, 06:59 AM
fine ill email you some... i wonder how many can fit in one email hmmm

bigFAWKINranger
05-30-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy
fine ill email you some... i wonder how many can fit in one email hmmm
try again... i don't need then all... just hit me with a dozen or 2 :flipoff2:

Shaggy
06-12-2003, 10:43 AM
i got this little dohickey today, got tired of almost getting into wrecks... it is a one man brake bleeder. i also got a new powersteering fluid cap thingy. mine was worn out and was actually the reason it has been leaking. i am gonna try to get this bad boy to drive me to port lavaca this weekend and i dont wanna make another trip without breaks. i also gotta fix my swaybar. the driverside bushing keeps coming out and makes me go all over road(scary scary) especially with no rear breaks. anyone know if i can get these bushings at a regular parts store or gotta go to ford?

Shaggy
06-12-2003, 10:49 AM
this is what the bushing is doing... it actually comes all the way out if i drive long enough... i guess i am gonna try to ghetto rig it for now.

Shaggy
06-12-2003, 10:50 AM
it also doesnt help that this here crack is in the frame

Doug Krebs
06-12-2003, 11:36 AM
My suggestion to you is to drive that piece of **** off a cliff and get the insurance money, but onto the real questions. Are you talking about the sway bar or the radius arm bushing? Take the sway bar off.... For the radius arm bushing, don't you just tighten up that 1 1/8" nut??? If the stud/bolt is out, i always saw mike use a come along to bring it back in place..... by the way, that thing has some serious oil/radiator leaks.

Shaggy
06-12-2003, 12:36 PM
dont have full insurance on it anymore so that is out of the question. I am talking about the swaybar, and without it i am all over the road. although the radius arm bushings are shot aswell. you cant even tighten them because they are at the end of the threads. there is quite a gap there. not gonna worry about it because i wanna do my axle swap soon enough... i just need this to make it a few hundred miles safely. i drove it to corpus and back with no rear breaks and all the problems i am having now, it was not a fun trip and i dont wanna do it again. and i dont have any radiator leaks anymore... the hard lines that go into it were hella loose and have been leaking all over everythink forever. I fixed that last week. Havent bothered to clean all that old spill out yet. there is also power steering fluid over everything because my cap was worn out and kept falling off... but fixed that too... i parked on a clean spot of the street for a day and not a damn drop of anything came out. i think this is the first time it hasnt leaked something since i had it.
that is all

JB
06-12-2003, 01:04 PM
sway bars are :rainbow: I don't have either of mine and it drives jsut fine, actually a litle better for some reason.

Doug Krebs
06-12-2003, 03:55 PM
It probably drives so much worse with swaybar disconnected because all the other bushing's are shot, plus the shocks probably need to be replaced.

Tate i would wait for a dana 60 before you straight axle it. If you would have spent the money on a d60 instead of gears and lockers you would be well on your way. SAS isn't easy to do, so why waste your time on a 44 that you know your going to break. Doesn't make any sense to me.

eight
06-12-2003, 04:26 PM
I think the gears and lockers from the TTB fit the HP D44.

Building a fullsize for off road doesn't make any sense to me. They're good for 2 things, tow rigs and parts.

JB
06-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Thats a stupid comment

How exactly is a Bronco a good tow rig?

Mine is pretty damn comfortable for a 17 year old truck. It has plenty of power, plenty of room, and a short wheel base. i konw it weighs alot, but I don't care. It will not be trailered anywhere, it will be driven, b/c imo, thats more fun.

I don't need some tubed out, lightweight, big tired, buggy. I want something that serves more than one sole purpose, and my truck can do that. Most Jeeps/buggy/trucks can't do that

eight
06-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Yes, I thought about that. It's not much good for parts either. I have a new realization, all fullsizes should be 3/4 ton or better.

Doug Krebs
06-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Damn your opinion of fun is ****ed up....

Next time you are driving to the spring break trip and stop in Ft. Stockton because your having fuel deliver problems and your truck isn't running for **** you'll change your perception of fun.

I've driven my shat box on every trip and always made it home under its own power. Either your not very hardcore, or you have another vehicle to drive if you mess that one up saying that your truck can do everything.

I bought the blazer knowing it was a big vehicle and wouldn't do as well as jeeps, etc... but i needed something that could move me to and from college and a daily driver. I always tried everything i could off-road, but there are somethings that it is too heavy/big to do....So as soon as i get a job i'm buying a tow rig and building a buggy. The blazer will make a good deer lease vehicle:D

Sorry hope i didn't come across as a dick, but fullsizes are not the best thing offroad!

fbronco86
06-12-2003, 06:08 PM
hell yeah fullsizes rock. I am just glad i dont have anything in between like a scout. A scout is not a fullsize or a jeep. Every person i know who drives a scout is wierd.

Haha jimmy:rainbow:

JB
06-12-2003, 06:10 PM
I'm not saying that is is great offroad, but is serves its purpose for me much better than a smaller vehicle would. If I had a choice between driving a CJ or a Bronco/Blazer etc. cross country, I would choose the latter. If I wanted to roadtrip it to Padre with 4 other people, I would choose a fullsize. If I wanted to tow a fishing boat to the secret fishing hole in teh woods... you get the point.

I like driving my **** to the trail and I don't need some bigass diesel to get me there on the back of a trailer. And you seem to be saying that these tow rigs never break down? Have you checked the offroad trip forum lately? Mike's Ford, Scott's Dodge, John's Burb???? Not saying these truck are junk, far from it, jsut saying that **** happens

I am not building my rig to be some badass overbuilt crawler. There are other places to wheel aside of rocks.

ANTI-TRAILER:flipoff2:

eight
06-12-2003, 07:16 PM
So, if you're not taking it on rocks where you need the extra flex of the solid axle, what's the point of a sas? Is a d44 really much stronger?

Anyway, we're talking **** about Tate's bronco, not yours.

And as long as I've had it, the jeep has never been on a trailer.

JB
06-12-2003, 07:38 PM
Yeah, the only place you need articualtion is on rocks:rolleyes:

but why?

-alignment issues
-i would like a little more lift, and a solid axle is cheaper than a 6in TTB.
-will be a little bit stronger, more reliable etc.
-ifs sucks:flipoff2:

Chadnutz
06-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Do not ever try to justify IFS Ryan. :flipoff2:

It is all fine and dandy that you like full sizes. To each his own. Hell...I wheel a Mazda for which there are ZERO aftermarket products in the USA. But, you won't be anti trailer for long. Just wait until you break an axle, a weld, or roll over. Then you will regret wheeling your daily driver.

jerryg79
06-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Having owned a '78 bronco...aka the only vehicle that is as wide as it is long i would have to say that full-sizes suck. Yes, I had the same idea about it has a shortwheel base and i can haul alot of ****. But after the third time of hitting th explorer that parked beside me in the southside parking garage i would have to say that full-sizes also lack some practicallity..

ALso, if i was taking a roadtrip...i'm pretty sure i would pile in Kreb's minivan before i would take a bronco. but then krebs' minivan had two 10's (i think) and it could do burnouts!:flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
06-12-2003, 09:01 PM
**** yeah, safari all the way!!!! We are taking it to the property tommorow and staying till sunday. Me and david are going to clean it up. And it had 2 12's 3 amps and all sorts of other pointless ****! That motor may go into my buggie god forbid!

mudtoy67
06-12-2003, 10:27 PM
It's hard to take a road trip when you're Bronco is known to the whole block as "the mysterious red floating on jackstands all summer with no axles and all the tenants do is sit on the porch and drink saying they'll work on it tomorrow" truck :flipoff2:

Shaggy
06-13-2003, 08:58 AM
damn talk about a thread hijack.:flipoff2: the reason i am puting in a d44 is because i have one for one, my gears and locker swap right in for second, and i cant find a damn d60 with driverside drop. everyone i come actoss has been off a military blazer or something or other. and yes the reason it is crazy wobbly without the swaybar is because ALL of the bushings are shot. hell some of them are actually gone.

Shaggy
06-13-2003, 09:00 AM
here is a pic of the driverside radious arm bushing... crappy eh?

AgDieseler
06-13-2003, 09:38 AM
I especially like the light, tender glaze of grease/oil that covers everything. You're an EPA posterchild.:D

DRAGOONRANCH
02-23-2010, 04:49 PM
i got this little dohickey today, got tired of almost getting into wrecks... it is a one man brake bleeder. i also got a new powersteering fluid cap thingy. mine was worn out and was actually the reason it has been leaking. i am gonna try to get this bad boy to drive me to port lavaca this weekend and i dont wanna make another trip without breaks. i also gotta fix my swaybar. the driverside bushing keeps coming out and makes me go all over road(scary scary) especially with no rear breaks. anyone know if i can get these bushings at a regular parts store or gotta go to ford?

I have one of these. It is junk.

Shaggy
02-27-2010, 10:57 AM
***... old thread... memory lane

DRAGOONRANCH
02-27-2010, 11:29 AM
It was a bit musty in here, just thought I would air it out.

(I forget exactly what I was searching for when this one popped up. I know it had nothing to do with this thread though. :confused: )