PDA

View Full Version : Who rents flatbeds?

AgDieseler
05-31-2003, 08:46 PM
I'm going to be picking up Aaron's 1950 3600 Chevy PU in Augusta, MT. I will be using some frequent flyer miles to get to Seattle, and then rent a flatbed, head east to pick up the truck, then return south to Dallas.

My question is: who rents a flatbed that either has ramps or a tilting bed? I have a CDL, so most any GVW is okay as long as it's not a combination truck.

davido
05-31-2003, 09:03 PM
WTF? I thought he bought a trailer and a Cummins for haulin' all of that poo around. What happened to plan A?

AgDieseler
05-31-2003, 09:19 PM
There are two trucks:
His '49, and the '50 that I am buying from him.

His trailer isn't large enough for two trucks.

AgDieseler
05-31-2003, 09:33 PM
There are no tie downs in the closed trucks, since they are primarily used for moving household items. I'm pretty sure that the load would shift.

bburris
05-31-2003, 11:12 PM
there should be sufficient tie down places in an enclosed truck, esp. if you chock the tires somehow

you could also rent a 3/4 ton truck from just about any rental car place, then rent a U-Haul car hauler and be on your way

BTW - your CDL is a passenger CDL, not the same as what someone who drives an 18-wheeler - I asked a trooper about mine and it turns out if you want to be able to drive absolutely ANY vehicle, there were a couple more tests to take and another driving test is involved.

StevenAg03
05-31-2003, 11:28 PM
to drive anything on the road you would need a CDL class A liscens with a combination endorsment.

David Oliver...you are not legal to cross state lines driving a commercial vehicle if you are under the age of 21. this being said, unless you are 21, you can not drive a commercial vehicle in montana or anystate between here and there. i would be careful which truck you rent.

bburris
05-31-2003, 11:32 PM
he's 21

combination endorsement...that's what I was drunkenly trying to think of...

StevenAg03
05-31-2003, 11:36 PM
with out the combination endorsment you cant even pull a trailer if the gross weight is over 26000lbs i think....not that its enforced in texas much but if you get caught your screwed. also, dont ever, ever ever ever ever ever get caught with a fuzz buster in a "commercial" vehicle. you will get some hefty fines for that.....

froader03
06-01-2003, 12:24 AM
I think the combo is 36000... 26000 is without a combo.

and you have to take another test to get a passenger endorsement for transporting more than 15 people at a time. I don't think that has bearing on what size load you can drive.

the only thing different from driving a tractor-trailer, other than combo, would be hazmat ****, which I think david actually has some of those. this is all for texas of course.

AgDieseler
06-01-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by AgDieseler
I have a CDL, so most any GVW is okay as long as it's not a combination truck.
Indeed I am 21; have been for a while. What I am looking for is something along the lines of a car hauling low boy.

eight
06-01-2003, 08:27 AM
Just to set this straight. The law is that to drive a vehicle or truck/trailer combination with a GVCW over 26000 (maybe its 26500) you must have a CDL. It does not matter if it weighs less than that at the time (empty), it goes by what you can carry. You must also have DOT inspection on the truck and trailer and commercial insurance. A 1 ton truck is rated at 10000lbs, it doesn't matter what is said on the door jam, 3/4 ton is 7600 I think. A trailer is usually rated by maximum axle carrying weight. Each 8 lug single wheel axle can hold 7000lbs. With 6 lugs is 5200 lbs and 5 lug is 3500 lbs. But if you built the trailer and you license it for less weight, that is fine. You can also take a manufactured trailer back to the factory and have them change the plate with the weight rating on it to have a lower weight, but DOT will still be constantly stopping you because you look overweight.

About 1 year ago they cracked down on everyody about this. Most of our competitiors were pulling 2 dually axled trailers or 3 single wheel 8 lug axled trailers and received big fines. They also had to leave the trailers on the side of the road and have someone with a CDL, commercial insurance, and DOT inspected truck come get them. We run dually's with 2 axle single wheel 8 lug trailers so we were safe at 24000 lbs. And we have light trailers. They can carry 14000lbs gross and only weigh 3200lbs.

If you have farm plates and are on farm business, you can go up to 36000 lbs or somethin like that with a normal license.