PDA

View Full Version : chevy diesels

CRaSHnBuRN
06-18-2003, 07:13 AM
Are they as worthless and underpowered as some people make them out to be? There is a nice 93 2500 near my parents home, but its a turbo diesel. My friend said to aviod it, as they suck, but he is a horsepower junky, so I have to take that with a grain of salt. I've heard other people bad mouth these engines, but then again I've seen just about every engine badmouthed for some reason.

eight
06-18-2003, 07:52 AM
It'll pull your toyota just fine. About like a no turbo ford but since its turboed it can be turned up more. Those engines were know for bad injector pumps. I know people that went through 5-8 of them. But that was back in the late 90s. All the bad pumps probably were replaced with updated ones by now. And you can make them run like a bat out of hell. They just need a marine injection pump and turn up the turbo. It's been years since I've heard of one going out.

CRaSHnBuRN
06-18-2003, 08:53 AM
What kinda gas mileage do these truck normally get?

AgDieseler
06-18-2003, 09:17 AM
I just logged 17mpg with my NA diesel, and that's with the big turbo prechambers. The diesel you're looking at should get a solid 15mpg the minute you pick it up, but with a little tinkering can get about 18. The injector pumps that were problematic were from 94-97, when Stantadyne piggybacked electronic controls onto a mechanical pump. It wasn't even the pump that failed, but the electronic module on the side of the pump melted. All GM did was move the electronics off the pump, and it was all good.

The diesel that you're looking at would be entirely mechanical and have the trusty DB-2 4911 pump (the best factory DB-2 made). That means that the only computerized thing on the motor would be a glowplug timer. They pump is easy to turn up, and can flow a lot of fuel. The 93 is the best block casting (#599), and has some of the best heads. The turbo is mechanically wastegated, and very adjustable up to about 12psi without and intercooler.

How many miles does it have?

CRaSHnBuRN
06-18-2003, 10:15 AM
160K, a little higher than I want, but the price isn't bad. Hell my toy was over 170k when I rolled it, and it still ran like a charm (albiet a very underpowered charm). The truck is a standard, with the NV4500, which is also a plus to me. I'm hoping to get a chance to take it for a test drive later this afternoon.

AgDieseler
06-18-2003, 10:57 AM
It sounds like a good combination. 160K on a motor isn't bad, but what kind of miles are they? 10,000 mile oil drains? Was it black smoking for every single tick on the odometer? My 6.2L was cared for, but regularly given a good workout, and it ran perfectly at 300K.

Of the mods that you might consider: 3.5" exhaust, timing gear drive (at least a new chain), high flow water pump/thermostats, Bill Heath adjustable wastegate controller, having the sucker timed. Usually all of those put together add up to about 450-460 lb ft, and about 230-240 hp.

CRaSHnBuRN
06-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Yeah, this is the kinda answers I was looking for. No bickering about why something else is better, just information and good suggestions. Thanks, now lets jut hope this thing runs well.

As for what this truck has been used for, this is wha i've been told. They mainly used it to commute back and forth from lexington to austin. It is set up to haul, and generally looks like its been used like most trucks in this area, daily driver during the week, farm truck on the weekend.

redcagepatrol
06-18-2003, 02:57 PM
Please keep in mind that David can barely go 75 mph without any load

AgDieseler
06-18-2003, 03:14 PM
That's with my old 300K mile motor. I can sustain 85 mph easily (at 2300 rpms), powerbrake, and bark the tires on command. I'm sure that I can go faster, but my speedo doesn't register.:D

bigFAWKINranger
06-18-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by redcagepatrol
Please keep in mind that David can barely go 75 mph without any load
yeah. but its a heavy SOB... i bet we have war ships in the navy that weight less than the burb.