PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer, 7/19/03

AgDieseler
06-20-2003, 09:15 AM
There is a small group that plans on going to Gilmer the weeked of July 19th and 20th. We would be leaving early Saturday
morning.

EDIT: no pirate related conflicts

froader03
06-22-2003, 03:35 PM
TMTC is having a work weekend at BMRA the weekend of July 12-13. We've been encouraged to attend and participate. Aside from this just being a really good thing to do, we have a trail there, so we have an obligation to maintain it. Most of the work on this weekend will be trash pick up and minor trail repairs/maintenance. Entry fee will be waived in exchange for help cleaning up trails.

BMFScout
06-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by froader03
TMTC is having a work weekend at BMRA the weekend of July 12-13. We've been encouraged to attend and participate. Aside from this just being a really good thing to do, we have a trail there, so we have an obligation to maintain it. Most of the work on this weekend will be trash pick up and minor trail repairs/maintenance. Entry fee will be waived in exchange for help cleaning up trails.

I am tenatively planning on having the scouts out there for this one. I doubt I will have much done to them, but it is Gilmer, and it is free so who cares. Both TAMOR and North Texas Binders have trails, so I feel somewhat obligated to go. Don't know if it would be an overnight deal, or just a saturday trip. Airstrip takes little to no maintenance, which is nice, but there is probably plenty of other **** to do out there, kind of fun to play with chainsaws, cruise around in the trucks. Anyway, just think about it, it will be fun, and looks good for us as young persons, and our club as a whole when we help out.

bburris
06-23-2003, 09:32 PM
The Jeep starts now, just won't stay running. If I can replace the fuel pump soon and get it running I'm down for my first trip in a loooooong time. I'll come up that way and help clean up Airstrip.

eight
06-23-2003, 10:05 PM
So, which trail do we have? I'll probably go, might just ride with someone. Maybe bring 4 wheeler.

BMFScout
06-23-2003, 10:52 PM
Airstrip is our trail, it is the hella steep one with the nasty ledge on the right side. It is off to your right as soon as you enter the park. There really isn't anything to maintain on our trail, but it is a good excuse to go out there for free.

Tariqui
06-23-2003, 11:27 PM
well if some people are going on the 19th and 20th i am interested in showing up. wont be too far to drive from Oklahoma i guess. Plus ive never been there

AgDieseler
07-06-2003, 11:06 PM
People and vehicles that are going:

Brian Ritchey - his FJ
Jose Blay - his virginal XJ
David Oliver - the burban
Norm Clark - 03 TJ
Josh Alley? - the pivoting CJ
Bueller...Bueller...Bueller?

For anybody else interested, we will be meeting at the University McDonalds, and leaving BCS 6am Saturday the 19th.

BMFScout
07-07-2003, 01:07 AM
norm is going? It is hard for me to picture him wheeling, but I know he is a hunter and that kind of deal. That is the 19th?

AgDieseler
07-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Yup. You should come out, and "network.":D I showed him the pictures from the trip when Ryan ejected his passenger front knuckle, and Norm said, "we're not going to do that to my Jeep, are we?" I laughed.

Tariqui
07-07-2003, 04:56 PM
I am going to be in dallas the 18th for a dave mathews concert so i will leave from there. How do i get there? Jimmy are you going to be in Plano can i just follow you? Is it a day thing or spend the night? Do people need to send me their safety info??

bigFAWKINranger
07-07-2003, 05:45 PM
i think i might try to attend this one too. gonna TRY to FINALLY finish the ranger this weekend.

AgDieseler
07-07-2003, 06:37 PM
From Dallas (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/ddResults.py?Pyt=Tmap&tarname=&tardesc=&osd=&newname=&newdesc=&dsd=&newHash=&newTHash=&newErr=&newTErr=&newFL=Use+Address+Below&newaddr=&newcsz=dallas+tx&newcountry=us&newTFL=Use+Address+Below&newtaddr=&newtcsz=gilmer+tx&newtcountry=us&Submit=Get+Directions&stp=a&stx=&csz=)

The group leaving from College Station should get there around 1030.

BMFScout
07-10-2003, 04:52 PM
I think Fred and I are planning on attending on the 19th instead of this weekend. I figure we can make sure Airstrip is kosher then, instead of the official work weekend this weekend. We will just be there for the day, Saturday. Unless of course Fred or I jettison a knuckle or something and need to stay overnight at the beautiful Gilmer inn...

Tariqui
07-10-2003, 10:07 PM
so this is a day trip no camping required.

BMFScout
07-11-2003, 02:13 AM
no norm? Try to use some sales skillz to get him to go :)

jerryg79
07-13-2003, 02:26 PM
me and krazy karl might go....do we need to pay anything to TMTC ahead of time??? are yall still leaving at 6am from CS?

BMFScout
07-13-2003, 04:51 PM
35 bones to become a member and your first weekend is free, like 10 buks a day after that for the next year, or just 15 bones a day. sucka. Bring the bronco, we can all sit in the AC.

fbronco86
07-13-2003, 05:51 PM
i think i would like to go. but the bronco is MIA. So i would need to hitch a ride from someone? anyone?

AgDieseler
07-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Brian, Jose, and I are splitting a room at THE INN. You're all welcome to join; blown knuckle or not.

updated list:

Brian Ritchey
David Oliver
Norm Clark
Josh Alley
Mike Knoller

StevenAg03
07-15-2003, 01:27 PM
yall gonna stay at the same place that me, you, brett, sara, john, and sable stayed at? the one that you passedout nafter 3 Miller Lite's? :flipoff2:

jerryg79
07-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Me and karl are out, we are going to an Alabama concert out on the east coast (Beaumont). You might talk to Jose as well, I think his family is moving this weekend and he will prob have to help them.

AgDieseler
07-17-2003, 09:28 AM
jackess

BMFScout
07-17-2003, 12:04 PM
the brothers brune are also out. The Dragula is still in the body shop, which means no sled towing apparatus, and we are headed to Missouri to spend some time at the lake. sucks I know, sorry.

AgDieseler
07-17-2003, 12:07 PM
jackesses

bburris
07-17-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by BMFScout
the brothers brune are also out. The Dragula is still in the body shop, which means no sled towing apparatus, and we are headed to Missouri to spend some time at the lake. sucks I know, sorry.

I thought Scouts could drive to the trails, kick ass all day, then drive home with all the broken Jeeps in tow...:confused:

Tariqui
07-17-2003, 01:00 PM
2%ers i am still going driving my jeep there wheelin and going home.

Fredo
07-17-2003, 01:01 PM
While more than likely true Buttkiss, I personally like having a way to vehicle home if broke. Sure as ****, something would break and leave me stranded if we didn't bring the trailer.

AgDieseler
07-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Bring the "rich boy" lifted excursion. Oh, and bring Ryan too.:D

bburris
07-17-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Fredo
While more than likely true Buttkiss, I personally like having a way to vehicle home if broke. Sure as ****, something would break and leave me stranded if we didn't bring the trailer.

Now that I have truck and trailer readily available, I don't know that I'll ever drive the Jeep anywhere I don't have to again...

BMFScout
07-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by bburris

Now that I have truck and trailer readily available, I don't know that I'll ever drive the Jeep anywhere I don't have to again...

again?? wouldn't there have to be a first time...:flipoff2: (ouch!)

I don't mind driving there with a jeep in tow, but it still doesn't change that fact that we are leaving for Missouri a day earlier this way. If we did take a trailer, it would still be mine that we drove, cause it does better on the highway than Freds.

bburris
07-17-2003, 02:58 PM
I didn't realize you were going to take both.

And mine made it back a couple times...

AgDieseler
07-18-2003, 10:46 AM
For all those that want to leave with the College Station group:

We're leaving from the McDonalds on University Dr at 6am Saturday morning. Com gassed and ready to go. If you can't leave that early, here are some general directions. Look on Yahoo or Mapquest if you need more.

From BCS:
Take TX 21 E to I-45 N. At Buffalo, exit US 79 and head North through Palestine (Doug's homeland) and into Jacksonville. There, take US 69 N into Tyler. Don't go through Tyler; it will take you forever. Take the 323 E loop around Tyler, and continue North to US 271 where you will head Northeast. 271 winds its way North and brings you into Gilmer.

For all those that are coming from somewhere other than College Station, our group will arrive at about 1030am, so you Dallas guys get to sleep in a little. We will meet at the Gilmer Inn parking lot at 1030am, and head to the mountain from there.

If you have any questions, you can call me on my mobile phone: 2143847872.

mudtoy67
07-18-2003, 11:32 PM
Grab your skis......hell's frozen over! It's 11:45 pm the night before the trip and I'm actually loaded up and ready to go! Imagine that....

Fredo
07-18-2003, 11:41 PM
Holy Piss man! Good Job. You guys have fun out there....take a lot of pics.

AgDieseler
07-20-2003, 05:32 PM
It was a good trip all around. We took a look at Airstrip, and it is one mean climb at the end. Josh and I both took stabs at it. Josh nearly rolled, but eventually conquered the left side of the ledge. I was less successful as the 'burban is just too heavy.

Norm got a lot of wheeling on his first outing. He has never really done anything except the muddy road, but he certainly got his fill this weekend.

The pictures are being developed as I type, and will be posted this evening.

BigRedFord04
07-20-2003, 09:08 PM
Norm?

someone give that newb a new name, that ones taken. :flipoff2:

mark
07-20-2003, 09:14 PM
Old Norm hasn't been gone six months and already his name has been given away :(

Speaking of, I beat the hell out of the old CJ this weekend. I nearly rolled the thing. Twice! If one of my wheeling compadres got a picture of the old two wheeled CJ teeter-totter, I'll post it later.

-Mark

and Norm - The Jeep

AgDieseler
07-20-2003, 11:10 PM
That newb isn't exactly a member. He's a faculty member at the Industrial Distribution program, and we scared him pretty well this weekend, so I doubt that there's any chance of him stealing the old CJ's namesake.

Walgreens screwed up the picture CD, so they'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Tariqui
07-21-2003, 12:45 PM
well, I made it back to Oklahoma. What was that old saying "real rigs drive home" :)

AgDieseler
07-21-2003, 05:59 PM
We started the day on Greenlane. It's a 2 diamond that's a good "warm up" for the day. Norm realized the importance of locked diffs.

AgDieseler
07-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Josh, working it.:D

AgDieseler
07-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Brian found a rock.

AgDieseler
07-21-2003, 06:10 PM
I was having difficulty shifting into reverse. It felt like the linkage was binding. I got Brian to look at the shift linkage while I tried to shift it into reverse. It was binding against the rear shackle hanger, and as Brian put it, "I think we found the culprit! Broken transmission mount." Back to the parking lot the 'burban went, and we headed to town, picked up a new mount at HoReilly's, and were up and running in no time. I would like to thank the academy, and the floor jack (Brian and Josh).:D

AgDieseler
07-21-2003, 06:11 PM
Generally speaking, this should be in one piece.

AgDieseler
07-21-2003, 06:14 PM
I decided to exercise the new tranny mount on Airstrip; this is as far as my 9000 lbs ass could go. Let me tell you, that's a long way to back down! Most of the people in the picture we asking what the hell that thing was doing on the trail.:D Josh leaned back on two wheels and held his CJ like a begging dog before I tried it, but I don't have the pictures. We pulled out the strap, and with a little judicious spotting he was up.

AgDieseler
07-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Carnage summary of the weekend:

Josh - peeled back rear diff cover, dented right rear hub cap
Brian - sheared off valve stem in rock garden
David - broken transmission mount
Norm - lost his off-road virginity

More picture can be seen here:
my website (http://community.webshots.com/album/82264915uFlwEL)

Seth
07-21-2003, 07:21 PM
9000 lbs? damn - im only around 5500 fully loaded....i guess the diesel, extra glass, and then some sheet metal add up.....

mudtoy67
07-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Don't forget that david also carries tools, spare parts, jacks, shovels, kitchen sinks, etc...

AgDieseler
07-21-2003, 10:37 PM
I have what doctors like to call and little bit of a weight problem. I used to get bear claws lodged, two at a time, right here!