PDA

View Full Version : benders

aggielr
06-23-2003, 06:18 PM
Which benders did you that have them buy, and why, and where and is there something you wish you would've gotten that you didn't?

Cajun
06-23-2003, 09:07 PM
I have the Pro-Tools model 105 HD. I've had problems with the arm "walking" a bit, but other than that I'm very pleased.

I went with the 105 'cause I got a great deal on a demo with a die, stand, degree ring (possibly worthless, we'll see), handle, and high-end notcher.

If I had to do it all over again I would have waited for a second-hand full hydraulic one.

mudtoy67
06-23-2003, 10:51 PM
I got a cheap one from wholesale tool in Houston. It works pretty good, but only does up to 90 degrees and will occasionaly kink a tube. It only cost $110 or so. It's basically a frame with two rollers and a bottle jack in the middle that you put the die on.

Chadnutz
06-23-2003, 11:15 PM
Not wanting a cheap one. It is a one time cost, and an investment.

aggielr
06-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Andy, i'm lookin at the pro-tools one also, i read some on POR that it was a pretty good set up, and rockbuggy might be havin some sales on it this week, so i'm goin to check his stuff out, i want the hydro one too, but i don't think thats in the cards right now, but maybe later i will retrofit my own like some of the ones i have seen on there, but right now, manual bending will have to work

stinger7401
06-24-2003, 11:40 AM
ok so heres the deal, i have an extremely large bender (identicle to the one on monster garge) but i dont have the DOM dies for it. I have about 30 dies fro the other type of tubing from 1-1/4" to 3" i believe. If you buy the dies ill let you used the bender. trust me it would be well worth it.

Cajun
06-24-2003, 12:52 PM
If your bender is exactly like the one on Monster Garage, it isn't designed for tubing. The one they use is a pipe or muffler bender, and will kink or severely flatten the inside radius of tubing. To properly bend tubing you need a mandrel bender. If you saw the Rock Crawler episode that's why the guy brought his own, 'cause the one in the shop isn't designed for that.

Chadnutz
06-24-2003, 02:10 PM
They bent .125" wall DOM with it on Moster Garage.

aggielr
06-24-2003, 02:17 PM
but not properly, i can bend it w/ the cheap pipe bender that i already have, but it flattens part of it and puts kinks and dimples in it

eight
06-24-2003, 02:42 PM
I borrowed one of those "pipe" benders once and tried to bend pipe with it. It kinked it every time. I tried different sizes with different dies and different thicknesses and moving the rollers and none of it was any good. I could go about 10 degrees before it would kink. Maybe those things work better with tube. Whenever I build a cage its only gonna need 4 or 6 bends. I may just say **** it and use weld in bends, in that case there'd only be 4. I think I was the only one at the pirate thing without a cage.

AgDieseler
06-25-2003, 11:15 AM
Does a mandrel bender differ from a pipe bender only in its construction, or is the process of bending different as well? Do you have to fill the pipe with any material, sand for example, to help the tube keep its shape?

Cajun
06-25-2003, 12:49 PM
The process is different. A mandrel bender "pulls" the tubing around the die, while a pipe or exhaust bender simply pressed the die into whatever is being bent.

I've never heard anyone needing to fill the tubing with sand or anything when using a mandrel bender.

Rex
06-25-2003, 06:03 PM
A mandrel bender is $$!!! The pro-tools and jd2 are NOT mandrel benders. Mandrels do not leave a kink in the pipe at all, not matter how thin it is they leave it very round, not oval. Dynomax has an add in summit showing the difference. One is like () mandrel is O. Putting sand in the tube can achieve the same result sometimes, but i think the real mandrel benders have a series of disks that you put in that are the same diameter as the inner diameter of the pipe. Look it up on the web, there's lots of info.

Here's a good explanation:
http://www.bankspower.com/Banks_FridayNight_020102.cfm

Cajun
06-25-2003, 10:39 PM
Seriously? If so, cool, I learn something new everyday:D. I guess you're talking about the "3 roll" type benders, like this one...http://www.pro-tools.com/images/3roll.jpg

Very bling.

robertf03
06-25-2003, 11:57 PM
they had one of those 3 roller benders in my welding class. I never used it but a guy there built a luggage rack out of square tube with it.

BMFScout
06-26-2003, 01:26 AM
think you could build a luggage rack for fredo's trunklid, he was talking about doing on the other day...

Fredo
06-26-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by BMFScout
think you could build a luggage rack for fredo's trunklid, he was talking about doing on the other day...

Yeah, that would be SWEET. *** :flipoff2:

Rex
06-26-2003, 06:10 AM
Seriously? If so, cool, I learn something new everyday. I guess you're talking about the "3 roll" type benders, like this one...

That's not a mandrel bender either i don't think. The mandrel bender uses an electric motor or something to spin a mandrel inside the tube when you bend it. Like this: http://www.bankspower.com/Banks-FNN-images/photos/tube2.jpg

redcagepatrol
06-26-2003, 10:01 PM
I have a JD2 bender with a 1.5" die. Buy one that other people but so that you can swap dies. (dies cost $200)

Be sure to clean the tubing before you bend it as it will leave grooves in the die if you don't. I wasn't around when the other guy in the shop used my bender...

Greg has the same bender with a 1.75" die.

Cajun
06-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Shipping may kill the deal, but this is a sweet price for what you're getting.

Bender (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154901)

aggielr
06-28-2003, 11:42 AM
thanks for the heads up, but for right now, i'm just goin w/ the manual bender w/ the 1 3/4 die so i can afford enough tubing to do what i want

bein broke and in school blows

stx4wheeler
07-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Alright i know i am reviving a really old thread but it is time for me to buy my bender. I have a 30% off mike green 4x4 discount so that will really help with the price. Questions I have are

Is everyone that has the pro tools 105HD happy with it?

How much is the hydraulic option and does what you order with it come with everything you need? or will i need to get a pump and other stuff kinda like krebs had to do?

Stand is it worth it to buy the one for the bender for 80 bones or is it cheasy?
I would prolly rather buy it than make a stand.

I am for sure going to get the 1 3/4 die, and probably the 1 1/2. I want the 1 1/4 to but besides shock hoops i dont think i would use it much. Does anyone in the club have a 1 1/4 pro tools die?

What brand notchers are the best bang for their buck?

CheapJeep
07-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Not sure if you're set on protools but here's a link to the bender and notcher that I have.

http://www.midamericanonline.com/tubing_benders.html

stx4wheeler
07-27-2008, 12:32 PM
im set on pro tools because of the gift cert i have other than that ill look into that notcher

Doug Krebs
07-27-2008, 03:01 PM
I've got a 1 3/4, 1 1/2, and a 1 1/4. However, I am fairly anal about lending my crap out.:flipoff2:

At some point I'm either going to come down there or karl is going to come up here and we're going to bend a cage.

stx4wheeler
07-27-2008, 03:02 PM
doug i will call you and we can talk benders i forgot you know so much.

uglyota
07-27-2008, 07:45 PM
I like the 5 year old posts in this thread:
Frick I believe what you'll need is called a "mandrel bender" like they use for exhaust :flipoff2: