PDA

View Full Version : Pics from my Colorado trip

AGRVR
07-02-2003, 03:54 PM
My parents and I were attending some business meetings in Salt Lake the week before last so we decided we'd try out my new Super Duty and play on the way home with my mom's Land Rover. Here's some pictures - excuse the scenery hardcore *******s :)

http://www.collinsorganization.com/images/summer2003/summer2003.html

Fredo
07-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Sure glad you had that super duty to haul that rover with. It would have sucked to have had to drive a air condtioned, heated, heated seats car with a 8 speaker stereo, leather, and capable of 90+mph highway jaunts all the way to colorado. :flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
07-02-2003, 05:52 PM
Holy ****, is that for real?

Jackasic
07-02-2003, 06:37 PM
Dang I miss CO. It is so beautiful up there in the summer:o

Chadnutz
07-02-2003, 07:23 PM
Nice pics.

AGRVR
07-02-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Fredo
Sure glad you had that super duty to haul that rover with. It would have sucked to have had to drive a air condtioned, heated, heated seats car with a 8 speaker stereo, leather, and capable of 90+mph highway jaunts all the way to colorado. :flipoff2:

I've heard a lot of that. I'll repeat my reasons here,

"As far as an explanation - there are a few...

1) Four people on the trip. We used the Land Rover as a suitcase and all rode in the truck without being cramped.
2) interior space and visibilty. This wasn't a trip across the UK. This was almost 5,000 miles in 2 weeks. The truck has a much larger cabin and has much better visibilty from the rear seat than the Rover has for adults (Discoveries' rear seats are well suited for children).
3) Economy. In the US because we are retarted wankers we can only get Rovers with gas guzzling V8 engines. On a trip loaded down with 4 people and their gear (which whould end up on the roof) the Rover would average between 10-12 on the highway. Mix that with petrol prices between $1.60 and $2.00/gallon along the trip and its a much higher expense that the truck that has a large diesel motor that averaged between 11-13 on the trip with diesel prices between $1.25 and $1.50/gallon and I actually saved money on fuel by towing (this is based on high speeds also - the truck seems to get the same mileage no matter what you drive - within reason while the Disco gets gallons per mile over 80mph)
4) The trip was mixture of business and pleasure. I had do business along the way so I would drive one while the others could do as they pleased in the other car."

BTW, Fred, how come you haven't called...ass :flipoff2:

:D

bburris
07-02-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by AGRVR
...petrol prices...

Petrol??? Where the hell are you from?:flipoff2:

AGRVR
07-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Here's my next victim for those of you interested.

The vehicle will be a 95 Discovery SD 5-speed base model (no power options to break) and I'll be swapping out the underachieving 3.9 (Mighty Rover V8) for a 2.8L Powerstroke diesel (built for south american Ford Rangers).

I won't be doing anything hardcore...but hey...I'll be able to drive it there and back at 25mpg.

AGRVR
07-02-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by bburris

Petrol??? Where the hell are you from?

Damn, no love. Get "corrected" by butt wipes on one board just to trade off to be bitched out on another.

:flipoff2: Burris

AGRVR
07-02-2003, 09:12 PM
I also forgot to mention a cool thing about some of the photos. The white D90 in some of them was a cool guy from Oklahoma City. He had a Vortec 350 out of a '98 Chebby pickup with a NV4500 in his 90. Sounded cool to hear a Rover that didn't sound like a Mustang :)

bburris
07-02-2003, 10:02 PM

Damn, no love. Get "corrected" by butt wipes on one board just to trade off to be bitched out on another.

:flipoff2: Burris

Did the people on the Rover board correct you into sasying petrol? Tell them some stupid redneck said it's gas... :flipoff2:

I fixed my last post...it wasn't bitching, I just forgot the :flipoff2:

StevenAg03
07-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Here's my next victim for those of you interested.

The vehicle will be a 95 Discovery SD 5-speed base model (no power options to break) and I'll be swapping out the underachieving 3.9 (Mighty Rover V8) for a 2.8L Powerstroke diesel (built for south american Ford Rangers).

I won't be doing anything hardcore...but hey...I'll be able to drive it there and back at 25mpg.

where the hell did you find such a motor? and whats the price?

AgDieseler
07-03-2003, 12:11 AM
...2.8L Powerstroke diesel...
sweet

robertf03
07-03-2003, 02:26 AM
how much you want for the old 3.9?

redcagepatrol
07-03-2003, 07:49 AM
those some nice pics. I like the Aspens with the green ground cover, such a wide varity of scenery - it's what makes it beautiful

Rex
07-03-2003, 10:38 AM
So why didn't you just take the SD on those trails? Afraid you'd break in on the real extreme parts? You could have just towed the trailer and got like 16mpg. :flipoff2: It is a nice view though, i love colorado.

AGRVR
07-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Let me clarify on the SD...it is my next victim...as in...

I don't have it yet. I just started looking after giving up on getting a decent Defender 110 for less than an arm and a leg.

Flem, if you still need the 3.9 when I get it bought and jerked out then yes you can have it for cheap...but you gotta help me put in the stroke :)

I'll find out the specifics on whoever asked but there is a guy importing the 2.8L from Brazil out of Oklahoma.

Will post asap

Yeah Scott this was probably the most scenic trip I have ever taken. I did a lot of riding this time and got to see a lot more than the rocks on the trail in front of me :)

Edit: Oh yeah the price I have heard was $10K installed in a Land Rover so probably around $5K for the motor (which is a price for a new one)