PDA

View Full Version : tbi 350

bigFAWKINranger
07-14-2003, 01:03 AM
my neighbor has a 92 caprice... help me look cool in front of his hot GF by fixing his car. is turns over like it did the day it rolled off the factory line.. but will not fire up... i changed his plugs and wires today... checked fuel and its good... gave him a jump off the optima... he said the dist cap is new... what else... jimmy, fred, y'all are freakishly good with chevy stuff... ideas?

BMFScout
07-14-2003, 02:15 AM
is it getting gas? pull off the air cleaner and check that, if it isn't it could be the fuel pump. You should be able to hear the pump prime when the key is turned on. Have that hot b!tch turn on the key while you get your ear near the tank. It should make a whirring sound, much like your mom's special toy. (And all this time you thought she was shearing sheep in her room) Ok back to the car, if it is getting gas, pull a wire off the distributor cap then stick a screwdriver in the hole, and hold the wire near it. Have Linda Vaughn crank the ingition again and see if a spark jumps. If not, no spark, could be the coil, could be the icm, that is the little black thing inside the distributor with wires running in and out of it. Orielly's can test those hoes. Worst case scenario, tell that fine hoochie mamma to dump her boyfriend and come hang out with me. He can't be that cool, he is driving a fawking 92 caprice... :D

Fredo
07-14-2003, 02:57 AM
You say fuel is good. The fuel pump priming and the injectors actually spraying are two different things. If it is not recieving spark, then the injectors won't spray. So, as jimmy says, check to see if it's humming like your mom's "massager", and see if it has spark, then get back to me. Here's something else that will help.

Under the dash is what is called the ALDL port. Its usually located on the driver's side right under dash, sometimes they have a little cover over them, but they are a rectangular connector with 12 pins, 6 on top, 6 on bottom.

Here's where it gets interesting....find a paper clip, make it into a u shape. Now find the two pins on the upper right hand corner of the connector. Now jam one end of the paper clip in the upper right hand corner pin and jam the other end in the pin directly to the left of it. Should be pins "A" and "B". Now turn the key to the on position without starting it.

Watch the engine light. GM codes are two digit and the light will blink them for the first digit, then pause and blink out the second digit. The first code it should bring up is a 12. It will blink once, then pause and blink twice. It will display that code three times in a row. Then, if it has any other codes to display, it will display them, showing each code three times. When it displays a code 12 again, it means it has gone through the codes. After that, post em on here or check out this page to see what the codes are. http://www.tradervar.com/GM_Codes.htm

Let me know if you have anymore problems.

robertf03
07-14-2003, 03:11 AM
as long as your mom's synthetic sausage is still moaning away your fusible links should be good on the +12v (orange) and +12v switched (pink and black) If you are still not getting spark check the hot while crank (purple) for 12v with a voltmeter.

After you've gone through everything and scratched your head a while make sure theres continuity on pin b7 to the ecm and the black wire on the 4 wire ICM plug (distributor reference signal)

bigFAWKINranger
07-14-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by robertf03
as long as your mom's synthetic sausage is still moaning away your fusible links should be good on the +12v (orange) and +12v switched (pink and black) If you are still not getting spark check the hot while crank (purple) for 12v with a voltmeter.

After you've gone through everything and scratched your head a while make sure theres continuity on pin b7 to the ecm and the black wire on the 4 wire ICM plug (distributor reference signal)
to quote jules winnfield, "english motherf*cker, do you speak it?!?!"

Fredo
07-14-2003, 11:22 AM
It makes perfect sense to me, what's your problem adam? :flipoff2: