PDA

View Full Version : auto to standard tranny swap

Moose
07-25-2003, 10:52 AM
I'm making progress on the '70 RS, i got it running (i know, a camaro? it's a bitch to find a good deal on a CJ7). Anywho, behind the 350 small block sits a TH-350 auto. I want a Muncie 21 or 22 4-speed. Anyone know a good place to start with somethin like this in Houston (or CS)? How much would my used TH-350 go for (I'm assuming not much since it's short tailed)? How much am I looking at for the Muncie? Thanks for any sug's.

Joel

JeepsterJayson
08-07-2003, 09:00 PM
Your TH350 wont go for much if its stock and has alot of miles (over 30k) look at most $125. Finding a muncie won't be easy and if you want the wide ratio 1st to 2nd then your going to find it even harder. My friend converted his 76' camaro to muncie. His swap wasn't hard but finding the muncie was the hardest.

Moose
08-07-2003, 09:14 PM
you're right about the th-350: $25 at most. where should i start looking. there are millions of places in houston. i just don't know where to look. everyone i've spoken to either has one for about $750 or knows someone who has one for "dirt cheap." but i can never seem to get any further than that. $750? really? i'm beginning to think this is a lost cause. and the swap is pretty much a bolt on like you said also. all the holes and mounts are in the right place on the block and cross memebers. all i need are the bracket parts and shift linkages, then the clutch assembly. the $750 number actually came from a guy i talked to who said he had a borg warner with the fine spline input shaft. i shunned that because i heard muncie was what i want for a straight swap.

JeepsterJayson
08-09-2003, 04:54 PM
It should bolt to the block with the right bell housing, but will take a different starter, clutch cylinder, clutch, clutch linkage w/ bracket to block, new peddles, different drive shaft, Muncie linkage and shifter (go new for better design), not sure if cross member is the same. It should be if yours was a short tail Th350. My friend put new exhaust but I don’t think it was needed. Also be ready to do some cutting in the floor and drilling to mount the bracket took a 3/4 in drill bit in a cramp place to mount the clutch pedal. Look for a T56 used out of a newer Camaro is my opinion. It will cost more but six speeds and better shifter, but a Muncie would be sweet like Ms Buttersworth on pancakes. And I never asked what he was paying for his stuff sorry.

Moose
08-10-2003, 09:30 PM
Thanks anyway for the inquire. Any info is good info. If you got anything else, let me know. I heard about that T56, but I'm not savy enough to do any serious modifications. Bolts are my friends. If you know of any other good resources (websites, books, etc.) to learn more on this particular swap, that would also be helpful.

JeepsterJayson
08-12-2003, 05:00 AM
Is long as the T56 is from a LT1 and not a LS1 it will bolt up to the block. The 96' T56 are alittle better gear transition and I hear have less problems, but you should at least look for a five speed if you have a small block engine. The big blocks work well with less gears because of the broad RPM band that doesn't peak slowly like a small block. But I know your probably not going to be drag racing this car because then you would have just stuck with the auto. I wish my jeep was a stick. I converted it to a 700R4 because of the low gears and ease of crawling. Still wish I had a stick though.