PDA

View Full Version : Proud new owner

BigRedFord04
08-08-2003, 02:42 PM
I finally found a rear axle for BigRed. Someone suggested Pick-N-Pull in San Antonio so i went down there wednesday w/ Kate. I found a lot of decent stuff, including TWO D60 rears WITH speed sensor. Pricing was VERY fair too....as long as you told the guys it was a 3/4 ton and not a 1 ton you saved $50 for the same sh!t. Anyway...i started to pull the axle wednesday but only made it like 30 mins before the heat started getting to me, so we went back yesterday prepared. We took a cooler full of water, and before starting, put a piece of plywood between the vans on one side, and an F150 hood on the other side so i got to work in the shade. Three hours later, 105* outside, sunburnt still, and about to die of heat stroke, i had the axle at the front (1/2 mile from where we pulled it). Paid $154 for it b.c. i talked them out of charging me a core. I ordered spring perches yesterday. Ordering rims today. still need to talk to brandon about gears.

BRANDON: if you're reading this call me right now 512.468.1604

eight
08-08-2003, 03:03 PM
We took about 8 minutes to pull Doug's 60.

Yea pick-n-pull in SA is pretty good on prices. A few other yards over there are good too.

Doug Krebs
08-08-2003, 03:17 PM
That is by far my best junk yard experience yet....yeah it's a 3/4 ton axle...That guy was saying he kept breaking half ton fronts and went to 3/4 ton's and it stopped.....What a ass hat!!!

Ingenloff
08-10-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by eight
We took about 8 minutes to pull Doug's 60.

Well aren't you just super special :rainbow:

With some wd40, air tools, and the forklift that we didnt get to help us until the last twenty yards or so, that three hours from crapped out van to the bed of the truck coulda been cut to thirty min. or less. :rolleyes:

BMFScout
08-10-2003, 02:34 AM
ask Busa, he doubted me, a hacksaw with a good blade is imperative at a junkyard. We hacked through the lower I-beams on the front of the landcrusier we pulled the axle from. This white guy walked by while we were doing it and said, "Are you going to hack through that with a hacksaw?!" Busa doubted me too and walked out to his truck to get some more tools. By the time he got back I had one hacked through, and about ten minutes later we had the other one hacked. Troy and I hacked through some u-bolts on a 8.8. It is so much easier than trying with a ratchet, they start to move on you once they get loose, and are rusted. It is so much easier to hack through them and then use a hammer to get them the rest of the way off. Brake lines? Hacksaw. It's not like it is your mom's car and you are going ot have to put it back together, seek and destroy, seek and destroy... The only thing I could think of that would be better than a good hacksaw is a coordless sawzall.

StevenAg03
08-10-2003, 03:19 AM
hmmm....sawzall with a metal blade....ill have to jot that down in my memory log.....but it wont last there long so i will also write it down on paper...:flipoff2:

BigRedFord04
08-10-2003, 06:01 AM
yeah...i thought about that too...i only completely undid the nuts on one of the u-bolts on each side. loosened the others enough that i could kick the top plate off and let the axle fall. i did break one of the brake lines off b.c. i didnt have flare nut wrenches and it kept trying to strip off. other than the u-bolts the hardest part was wheeling it to the front on two tires off the beads.

PS: BRANDON: i need to talk to you if you're reading this

PPS: does anyone know how to get ahold of him? voicemailbox is full

AgDieseler
08-10-2003, 09:09 AM
he never checks his voicemail

mark
08-10-2003, 09:40 AM
He doesn't check TAMOR board either...

If he doesn't recognize your number he won't answer. I guess he thinks it might be one of his loan sharks or maybe his pimp calling...

-Mark

BigRedFord04
08-10-2003, 11:14 AM
well i've emailed him thrice now w/ no avail. will someone who he knows please call him and tell him i need to talk to him? i would appreciate it greatly.

BigRedFord04
08-11-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by mark
He doesn't check TAMOR board either...

If he doesn't recognize your number he won't answer. I guess he thinks it might be one of his loan sharks or maybe his pimp calling...

-Mark
it seems as though he in fact DOES check the TAMOR board...last login was 8.10.03 at 6:50pm.

Brandon, you have PMs.