PDA

View Full Version : Another AWESOME 8.8

bburris
08-11-2003, 11:47 PM
Jimmy, Fred and I took a trip down to Awesome Salvage today. We were just looking around for a spare D35 or two for me, and any other random **** we may find.

We stumbled across a nearly pulled Exploder 8.8. We couldn't resist a $30 axle that required minimal effort, so we took care of the rest of the labor, and off we went - Jimmy pulling the axle like a sleigh.

I haven't ever really wanted to swap in an 8.8, but it was super cheap, and I think I can do the swap with minimal cost. The only major cost I forsee is buying a Detroit for it.

Jimmy - When you did Lissa's, did ya'll buy an axle bracket kit? Do you think it would be really hard to cut the old axle apart and grind all the brackets off and swap them on, or is that time and effort worth the $250-300 for the pre-fab brackets?

I'm just looking for some ideas about this swap. I don't know of anyone but Lissa that has an 8.8 in a TJ, so I'm not really sure of where to start with this...

Throw some ideas out there for me if you think of anything I may not have already thought of.

BMFScout
08-12-2003, 01:34 AM
I would not cut off the factroy ones and try to weld it back on to a different axle. The tubes are different size, cutting it clean, the list goes on. The kit was made for an 8.8, and the brackets were WAY better than stock. The M.O.R.E. brackets are the ones that we used. It took an afternoon of taking measurements off of another TJ here in Dallas, and then spotting them on the axle before having Ryan Tig them in place. I think the really important part was having the brackets be the same left to right, and having the adjustable lower arms to adjust the pinion for the cv shaft. The arms and everything did FALL into place when we bolted it up, no pounding or tweaking to get things to line up. The carrier is the weak part from what I have heard on those, so a detroit would probably be a must. To tell you the truth though Brett, I would be inclined to ebay the one you have, take that money and go to Houston, or wait until you find one with disc brakes then spend the money you made to get that one, I think they are a nice touch, and required no additional work to make them function properly. Lissa's stops way better with the discs than it did before. Jimmy Mancuso will also agree that the cover on the 8.8 sucks, and the lip will bend and start to leak after the first off road trip. I think if you ground it down and put a rock ring on it, it would be kosher. Lissa also sprang for the M.O.R.E. parking brake cables for the swap, and that may seem like a bit much for cables, but they took exactly five minutes to install and adjust, with a beer break. I thought they were well worth the money, but then again, it wasn't mine :) I think it is a great swap for jeeps with tires < 35", and I think the way the discs and internal parking brake work is cool. Cody and Jimmy are the only others I know with the 8.8, but for the money I think you can't go wrong. Yeah it is a c-clip axle, but so are semi-float 14 bolts, It is the only downside I have seen so far. I think Suzy burned up the pinion bearing in hers? That is the only one I have heard of with anything negative to say, but my experience is limited. It isn't as impressive to say as I've got a SCOUT 44 in the rear, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper to make work right. :D

I'm going to start a junkyard guide service, much like fishing. I'll put you on all the cool parts in the yard...for a fee. Nix you interested?

Fredo
08-12-2003, 01:41 AM
Yeah, it was like a couple of kids in Toys R Us walking to the front of the store with their new toy.

bigFAWKINranger
08-12-2003, 04:55 PM
*******s.

Fredo
08-12-2003, 05:20 PM
**** you nix....we actually called your ass this time so you have no room to bitch. :flipoff2:

bigFAWKINranger
08-13-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Fredo
**** you nix....we actually called your ass this time so you have no room to bitch. :flipoff2:
thats where you're wrong biatch. i ALWAYS have room to bitch... :flipoff2:
and i must have missed your call tho. assheads. just you wait til i'm workin in the shop on base and we have rockwells to get rid of... i'm gonna charge you a full $50 each... everyone else's price will be $45. :flipoff2:

Fredo
08-13-2003, 04:20 AM
Well, I would have to have a desire for a set of rockwells first for you to be able to screw me on them. :flipoff2:

Chadnutz
08-13-2003, 07:10 AM
Suzie burned up a 35C, not an 8.8.

bigFAWKINranger
08-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Fredo
Well, I would have to have a desire for a set of rockwells first for you to be able to screw me on them. :flipoff2:
i'll force you to purchase them somehow, most likely through blackmail, bribery or holding your deer genetalia sign for ransom. then you'll pay, but at the inflated price. FAWKER!:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

bburris
08-13-2003, 03:17 PM
We called a couple of times, left one message. We tried...

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use this axle, the drums don't really bother me. I thought a Detroit was the way I had to go, but someone told me last night that someone makes spools for them, so now I'm trying to find a spool for it. I don't really care about road manners, it can't get much worse than it is now.:D

BigRedFord04
08-13-2003, 06:53 PM
yes, i agree....weld it! and i know you can get extra spider and side gears super cheap here (http://www.tamor.org/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2450) to carry for trail spares :D

StevenAg03
08-13-2003, 07:12 PM
i think they only make mini spools for the 8.8...not sure though. if i was you id make sure you get something that repolaces the entire carrier. that is unless you want to be in the same boat as me an austin in a few months. hell i got an 8.8 ill sell you sittin in the back of my truck....thats if the price is right...:flipoff2:

BMFScout
08-14-2003, 12:00 AM
I don't think you can run a full spool without running c-clip eliminators, what would hold the axles in? Those are $140 for a set, and from what I have always heard from hot-rod guys c-clip elim. always leak, and the bearings might wear out faster? I definitely remember hearing that they leak, not sure about bearing life. Since the carrier is the known weakness welding it may not be all that cool. Taking a part that is known to be weak and then welding it up? I don't like the idea.

bburris
08-14-2003, 12:23 AM
Right you are Jimmy. A quick call to Randy's today made me realize that. The spool was $216.64, but I'd need the $171.70 c-clip eliminator they have to go with it.

I'm back to looking for a Detroit. If I do run with the stock carrier for any amount of time, I'll get a mini spool for it and hope that the carrier doesn't pull a Steven on me.

I'm not welding it...I've seen both of Steven's carriers, and recently saw Austin's. I'm definately with Jimmy on that one.

bigFAWKINranger
08-15-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by bburris
Right you are Jimmy. A quick call to Randy's today made me realize that. The spool was $216.64, but I'd need the $171.70 c-clip eliminator they have to go with it.

I'm back to looking for a Detroit. If I do run with the stock carrier for any amount of time, I'll get a mini spool for it and hope that the carrier doesn't pull a Steven on me.

I'm not welding it...I've seen both of Steven's carriers, and recently saw Austin's. I'm definately with Jimmy on that one.
what you ladies are failing to recognize is that BUTTKISS is not even in the same boat as austin and steve.. hell, he's not in the same lake.
those 2 assclowns blew up 8.8s under GIGANTIC land whales for trucks, both with larger than normal tires and driving like they were in GTA3. i think buttkiss could lock up that 8.8 with a lockrite or something and be just fine, or even weld it.... its a ****in jeep... lightweight with little power. personally, i wouldn't weld it to be driven on the street, BUT, i think he can get away with it. i think the carrier would be ok.

bburris
08-15-2003, 02:48 PM
We were discussing all of that at Hooters the other day Nix. There are a lot of Mustang guys that run mini spools, but that's a lighter vehicle, and a very different form of stress. Then there's Steven and Austin, who have proven that a stock 8.8 carrier cannot withstand 35s or 37s and a heavy right foot.

Then there's my POS...it has to be strong enough to hold out because I don't like having to fix ****...especially when it involves gear oil. I don't want to half ass this, so I don't want to run a mini spool, have it blow everything up, then have to tear the axle back down and have the gears reset.

So again, I'm looking for a Detroit for an 8.8 if anyone knows of any decently priced used ones...

BigRedFord04
08-15-2003, 05:58 PM
i do, i do!...Nate of LHOR just had to replace the Detroit in the 8.8" in his TJ. He just went ahead and bought a new one to meet time circumstances, but is in the process of rebuilding the old one....tried to pawn it off to me before i decided to upgrade :D i'll talk to him for you...actually....he's in College Station for this weekend, give him a call, he said he was going to be at the Chicken tonite. 512.699.9551

bburris
08-16-2003, 01:11 AM
I'll have to talk to him...I'm about to buy his old lift, so that may work out nicely

AgDieseler
08-16-2003, 09:37 AM
Sweet, now you can drop the clutch and not worry about breaking!:flipoff2: :D

StevenAg03
08-16-2003, 11:08 AM
hey brettt.....drop it.....i cant believe that a couple squirrles were srtong enough to break an axle. guess that says a lot for the 35c

StevenAg03
08-16-2003, 04:51 PM
this is Brett...

screw you guys...I'm goin' home :flipoff2:

TXsizeK5
09-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Yeah when he broke it, it didn't seem like it was under that much load....it was sure as hell fun to watch!

Detroits are the way to go if you don't mind the price. Lock_Rite should be fine too, easier to install, and cheaper too.