PDA

View Full Version : Crate Motor Questions

jerryg79
08-13-2003, 10:25 PM
So now that my truck needs a new motor....

seeing as it is a 98 i need to know what motors will drop in...

obviously the gm goodwrench motor designed for my truck will drop in but how about some of these HP motors

they have a 330 hp crate motor and ofcourse there is the zz4(too much money)

how will the computer react to the different higher output motor and how will the high performance motor react to stock fuel injection

also anyone know a cheaper place to pick up crate motors i found this one for about 2200 unshipped plus core from Mortec or something like that

mark
08-13-2003, 10:42 PM
The EFI will not like it. You'll have to reprogram, add larger injectors and the like to get that to work.

BigRedFord04
08-14-2003, 05:41 AM
anything not stock will be $$$$$$$, whether it be purchase price or mods you have to do to make it work

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 06:41 AM
krebs, input?

Jackasic
08-14-2003, 07:11 AM
only folks you need input from on that one are Mark. Jimmy, or Fredo. Follow what they say, but Austin is right on the money.

fbronco86
08-14-2003, 07:15 AM
doug got his from scoggin's dicky or some place like that. they had the cheapest price.

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Jackasic
only folks you need input from on that one are Mark. Jimmy, or Fredo. Follow what they say, but Austin is right on the money.

funny cause doug just put a quite similar motor in his truck last year.

I think I've even seen him post on here about what has to be done to upgrade the computer, injectors, etc.

I'm not downplaying what austin and mark have to say, but doug does have hands-on experience with this particular motor

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 07:55 AM
here is what i want http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=1577&pid=9009

but i would still have to get the fuel injection reprogrammed

otherwise i might just stay with the stock motor

now im looking into seeing what it takes to get the computer reprogrammed

jimmy or fred have you had any experience with this ****???

Doug Krebs
08-14-2003, 08:32 AM
What the hell happened????? Whats wrong with the engine??? I say we get the LS1 out of Gordons with the tranny and make your truck fly!! Give me your work number or cell, I don't have either at the office. PM me or something...

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 08:39 AM
PMed you

BMFScout
08-14-2003, 08:45 AM
http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/crate_eng/partlistbig_ram.shtml

Don't be a *****, just do it.

Don't listen to Doug, he'll have a 4.3 in there by tomorrow...:flipoff2: :D

Ed Wright in Tulsa was who reprogrammed Fred's friends LS-1 truck after the cam, the guy can reprogram anything, but it isn't real cheap.

High HP motors mean 93 octance Jerry, that type of fundage will cut greatly into the keystone light fund man, think about it. ;)

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 08:52 AM
oh yes jimmy that motor looks like a good idea, i bet my tranny and my wee little ten bolt outback would love that.

Not to mention i always wanted the engine to be in the truck with me

How do you get ahold of this ed wright guy and how much is "expensive"

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 08:56 AM
nevermind, i found it

350 to flash the computer huh

i wonder if the injectors will still have to be upgraded?

BMFScout
08-14-2003, 09:05 AM
http://www.fastchip.com/index.htm

Fred will know how much it was on Rich's truck, but his was dyno tuned as well, so he had to pay for dyno time.

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 09:10 AM
i think i should just go with the stock crate motor.....

If it was my money i was dealing with it would be one thing, but im borrowing this money from my mom

Plus i would like to have the truck back up in running over one weekend

Doug Krebs
08-14-2003, 09:16 AM
Does it still drive???? When do you want to do this and where?? I'll help you out. I can't do it the weekend of the 23, I have to go to some family function with blair. I could do it this weekend, but obviously we can't get an engine. You want to try to look for used engines like yours??? I'll call you in a little while... the boss is grumpy, I might have to go crawl under his desk and earn my money.

Doug Krebs
08-14-2003, 09:21 AM
Look at this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2427714698

Same engine for 2400 shipped to the door and has a warranty...

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2428064011

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 09:30 AM
that engine looks ok

it says it will work with the stock fuel injection

i emailed the guy

i also wanted to know what the warranty on it was.

BMFScout
08-14-2003, 09:32 AM
I was thinking you might should go back with some type of stock replacement, but my horsepower driven ego wouldn't let me say that. I am wondering now if anyone uses that injection system when they hot rod one of those motors or if they just junk them and use something more proven. I would put something in that you can get done in a weekend, and get going again. If you need some help doing the swap, or just someone to heckle you and drink beer while you do it, I am your man.

Doug Krebs
08-14-2003, 09:32 AM
look at the 2nd engine i posted

if we could do it the weekend of the 30th I could ask al if we could use the barn so we could have plenty of space....I would just have to skip the first football game, not the end of the world i guess

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 09:37 AM
that motor is for a van and i think if you installed it in a truck it would void the warranty.

I'm interested in the first one you posted but it is rebuilt and i would want a pretty good warranty

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 09:38 AM
jimmy

we will be doing the swap in karls cush a/c garage in kingwood not this weekend but next weekend

you should come down, karls dad always has a plethora of free miller lite(not my favorite) but the free gives it a nice taste.

Doug Krebs
08-14-2003, 09:40 AM
oh man **** the barn.....you going to have to suck clydes dick for this one?

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 09:46 AM
karl offered his garage, he doesnt have complete confirmation yet but i think it will be allright with clyde assuming karl is available that weekend

i think i want this motor for the fuel economy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34202&item=2427906015 :flipoff2:

uglyota
08-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Snatch Adams

i think i want this motor for the fuel economy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34202&item=2427906015 :flipoff2:
that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of...I can't imagine having anything less than a 350 powering my truck.
The Houston Chronicle classifieds almost always has a complete 350 vortec (or two) for around a grand. Should be your easiest, cheapest option.

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by uglyota

that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of...I can't imagine having anything less than a 350 powering my truck.

Ummmm....easier there chief that was a joke

Its down to two motors now the 325 horse from ebay (krebs posted) or a straight stock GM Goodwrench.

I emailed the guy about the one on ebay and he said it would drop straight in with no changes being made to the computer or the truck. Whether or not i should believe that is another story.

I'm still waiting on him to reply back about the warranty, that will prob be the deciding factor

If I buy the crate motor i can get it cheaper from PACE performance cause i wont have to pay tax, scoggins dickey is in tx so i have to pay tax if i buy from them.

I think i might by and OBDII code reader at the same time

what other **** should i replace at the same time?
Here is what i have so far:
Belt
tensioner pulley (needs to be replaced)
water pump (warranty it out)
plugs
plug wires
cap and rotor

anything im misiing?

fbronco86
08-14-2003, 12:53 PM
jerry if you need my help call me. i have done a few engines in my lifetime. the bronco is counting on 3engines haha

Doug Krebs
08-14-2003, 12:55 PM
engine mounts...i'll have to come up with a list

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 01:02 PM
mike come on out, i talked to karl and the weekend after next is cool with him he still has to talk to clyde. I guess doug has some gf **** to do.....god how *****-whipped can you be, just kidding i hate missing out on **** because of gf stuff like that but you gotta keep the lady happy.

I added motor mounts to my list after i talked to karl today.

JB
08-14-2003, 02:52 PM
What exactly happened to the motor? I have a 98 with 87k and it still runs very well.

Doug Krebs
08-14-2003, 03:11 PM

Oh yeah thanks brandon since I've known jerry since I was 7th grade with stuart cox. I also know his truck and put basically the same engine in my truck 2 years ago!:flipoff2:

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by JBrown89
What exactly happened to the motor? I have a 98 with 87k and it still runs very well.

This carries over from my post about OBDII ?'s:

Yeah so the short story is....

the bottom end of the motor is trashed

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the beginning of the summer the intake started leaking....i posted a thread about it....well i pressure tested the coolant system, and it stopped leaking, i'm thinking the gasket must have been pinched or maybe there was some **** in between the gasket and metal that the pressure test blew out (stupid stupid stupid) turns out the coolant was leaking right into the motor and now the bearings in the motor are shot....

its pretty sweet you can hear the crank rolling around in there and the motor makes no power and no oil pressure

changed the oil twice....milky both times with cool pieces of glitter in it

so anyone got a line on a small block, the fun part will be telling my mom how i need to borrow multiple thousands of dollars to put in a new motor.

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 04:10 PM
yes i could do that but then I:

A) wouldn't be done in a weekend
B) Wouldn't have a warranty
C) would have no faith in it

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 04:17 PM
new motor is bought and paid for should be here on wed. or thurs.

krebs you think you could hook a nugga up and take me over to the roadway terminal in your truck to pick it up:cheers:

Fredo
08-14-2003, 05:34 PM
I hadn't been following the thread, but what motor did you end up with? Even if you got the higher HP one, I can point you in the direction of the guys who could tune that thing for you.

jerryg79
08-14-2003, 06:02 PM
In the interest of time, money, and ease of install i went with the stock gm crate motor.

I wanted the higer output motor but i think it would be more of a hassle and would have cost alot more.

Also there was only a 1 year warranty instead of 3

uglyota
08-15-2003, 08:38 AM
will these puppies do diagnostics?
http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=1765&occlass=HYPERTECH&cat=PER
(if it doesn't work...it's the hypertech power programmer)
Might be a better investment than OBDII...also, your friendly neighborhood vatozone has OBDIIs.
BTW...how much $$$ are you out after buying a brand new "stock gm crate motor" that you bought "in the interest of money?" Were there no slightly used motors in the Chronicle? You said you're working in Kingwood anyway, right?
Buying stock GM anything is not my idea of saving money.

uglyota
08-15-2003, 08:42 AM

Ummmm....easier there chief that was a joke

PS...I saw V6 and thought you wanted to put in a 4.3. My fullsize couldn't haul it's own fat azz with a v6.

jerryg79
08-15-2003, 09:18 AM
Might be a better investment than OBDII...also, your friendly neighborhood vatozone has OBDIIs.
BTW...how much $$$ are you out after buying a brand new "stock gm crate motor" that you bought "in the interest of money?" Were there no slightly used motors in the Chronicle? You said you're working in Kingwood anyway, right?

I wanted a NEW motor. I could have just as easily rebuilt my motor as buy one out of the chronicle. I wanted a motor that i knew i could trust and that came with a 3 year warranty.

The stock crate motor was "my idea of saving money" over the other more high performance motors because it didn't require any modifications to my truck.

Also i dont think that the programmer you put up reads codes...at least it doesn't say it does. I got and OBDII reader that reads All GM codes(alot of them only read the emissions codes) it uses a laptop.

Got Anymore Brain Busters?:flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
08-15-2003, 09:57 AM

Thanks for stereo typing kingwood, I'll have my dad buy you now!! Don't think he can't, we live in a 50,000 sq ft house with 4 maids just to take care of the other 10 maids. I think what jerry really wants to do is make a 745 BMW into a tow rig and put a gooseneck ball in the trunk!:flipoff2:

jerryg79
08-15-2003, 10:12 AM
For real was that a jab at me being from kingwood or were you referring to something about me living close to houston and being able to use the chronicle.

I'm confused.

I guess maybe i'm just tired from spending all this money. Damn I need a cigarette, I'll just light it off this here hundred dollar bill, damn it went out, oh well this title to my ferrari burns just fine too.:flipoff2:

uglyota
08-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Got Anymore Brain Busters?:flipoff2:
Fawk you both...my parents live in kingwood and the only reason I mentioned the d@mn place is because it is near houston (er...part of it).
Snatch almost got it, in a momentary lapse of good sense
By your "idea of saving money," buying a ferrarri would be a good idea because it's cheaper than a sylvia. You can always pay more.
You never said how much the motor was...probably about the same as 2 or 3 slightly used motors out of wrecked frat-daddy-mobiles that wouldn't die within 3 years anyway. Remember...NEVER PAY FOR THE EXTENDED WARRANTY
:flipoff2:
and vatozone still has OBDIIs that you can use for free

Bust that

Doug Krebs
08-15-2003, 12:25 PM
I've lived here since 84, when kingwood was alot smaller. It was actually alot nicer back then...now it's all kids with camaro's and mustangs. If your trying to think your jewish, i would reconsider and take lessons from my dad.

jerryg79
08-15-2003, 12:33 PM
grrrrr tiger......

please dont make me the object on which you choose to vent your pent up sexual rage.

I was just kidding around, I dont even know who you are.

I realize that autozone has the code readers, hell so does one of my buddies that works at offroad unlimited, but autozone is always in BFE compared to where i reside, in kingwood, houston, and college station. And if my truck doesnt run, I doubt julio down at autozone is gonna jump in his 73 chevy truck (candy apple red with twice pipes of course) and bring the code reader to me.

Anyway, I paid 2200 for the motor plus shipping (140) it was cheaper to buy it in ohio then in texas because i didnt have to pay sales tax. The only thing that sucks is that since I no longer have access to a loading dock, i had to get it shipped to the roadway terminal which is also in BFE.

I dont really know what you mean about not paying for the extended warranty. The warranty is the whole reason i bought the motor. I like knowing that if the motor goes bad again I can take it to gm and get a new one.

I have seen knoeller go through 3 rebuilt motors so im not a big fan.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go water my money tree!!!
:flipoff2:

uglyota
08-15-2003, 02:05 PM
...with twice pipes of coursehahaha
Sounds like you got a good deal on the motor.
My point is, how many factory (like you might find in a wrecked grocery getter--not rebuilt) Chevy 350s have you seen die in 3 years or 36,000? The warranty's not a good reason for buying it. "Not wanting rebuilt" is.
Oh, while you're at it, you better go ahead with the headers and "twice pipes"...chicks dig 'em.:D

Originally posted by Doug Krebs
I've lived here since 84, when kingwood was alot smaller. It was actually alot nicer back then...now it's all kids with camaro's and mustangs. If your trying to think your jewish, i would reconsider and take lessons from my dad. Good for you, doug, we're very proud of you and wish we could all be super-cool trend setters, too. I don't know what your dad has to do with anything

jerryg79
08-15-2003, 03:37 PM
Excuse me, Stuart Cox is the "super-cool trendsetter", we are all merely sheep in Stuart's Flock

fbronco86
08-17-2003, 10:34 PM
hold on rebuilt motors kick ass. they last 20k and then they blow up. No need to change the oil. first motor oil pump froze and i think you can guess what happened after that. second motor just burned so much oil it was crazy. third motor a was supposed to be kick ass yeah its a pos too. yes go with the new motor.

all so jerry and doug are gay for living in kingwood :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
08-18-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by fbronco86
hold on rebuilt motors kick ass. they last 20k and then they blow up. No need to change the oil. first motor oil pump froze and i think you can guess what happened after that. second motor just burned so much oil it was crazy. third motor a was supposed to be kick ass yeah its a pos too. yes go with the new motor.

all so jerry and doug are gay for living in kingwood :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Kick ass grammar mike!!! I actually think it is "also"

uglyota
08-18-2003, 09:49 AM
ha ha
Jerry and Doug are gay for living in kingwood, but I'm not :D
So...is the motor in?

Doug Krebs
08-18-2003, 10:29 AM
no we are going to go pick it up today, they are putting it in this weekend in our friends AIR CONDITIONING GARAGE. Hey, it's in kingwood what can I say!

Jackasic
08-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Doug Krebs
Oh yeah thanks brandon since I've known jerry since I was 7th grade with stuart cox. I also know his truck and put basically the same engine in my truck 2 years ago!:flipoff2:

Glad you have been packing Jerry's fudge since the 7th grade (isn't that what all old skool Kingwood'ers do?:D ), that has little to do with my statement. The people I stated are the ones that I know have first hand insite in to motor mods and FI. Mark is one of the few people I know who can wire a OBDII motor from scratch.

Do more than few motor/FI swaps and you too could have my blessing bestowed from on high:flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
08-18-2003, 12:31 PM

Glad you have been packing Jerry's fudge since the 7th grade (isn't that what all old skool Kingwood'ers do?:D ), that has little to do with my statement.

Dude you don't have to be mad that i get ***** on a regular basis and your probably still a virgin. I know it sucks but maybe someday!!:flipoff2:

jerryg79
08-18-2003, 01:05 PM
The views expressed by Doug Krebs in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Snatch Adams.....But God Damn are they funny!!!!!!!!:cheers:

Jackasic
08-18-2003, 01:12 PM
that's why we let him stick around:)

BTW Doug, I see they are offering a new course up north that is based on your life.

Becoming Krebs 101 (http://washingtontimes.com/national/20030818-122317-3268r.htm)

Doug Krebs
08-18-2003, 01:24 PM
that's why we let him stick around:)

BTW Doug, I see they are offering a new course up north that is based on your life.

Becoming Krebs 101 (http://washingtontimes.com/national/20030818-122317-3268r.htm)

Ahh yes, it doesn't surprise me that you know this link and you can talk to my girlfriend about that link too.

Now go over and look at the thread about my ring and give me advice.

fbronco86
08-18-2003, 02:47 PM
thanks doug for the grammer check. for real what do we need to do to get a grammer checker on this website. my grammer sucks balls.

all so along with the kingwood thing i am from kingwood and me snatch adams and doug have been packing each other since we were in boy scouts. does that make us gay??

Jackasic
08-18-2003, 03:32 PM
yes, yes it does.

jerryg79
08-18-2003, 03:46 PM
yes, yes it does.

TATE?????:flipoff2:

How drunk did you have to get Tate to take those pictures of him?

fbronco86
08-19-2003, 12:30 AM
jerry lets put a turbo off a dodge on your truck i hear they bolt up to the stock manifold all we need is a downpipe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2428351131

well i could not find just the turbo how about this. the 1988 dodge shadow turbo has the same bolt pattern as the chevy 350 exhaust. so if we got two of them we could twin turbo. all we need is some new injectors and a little programming hear and there and we are set.

what do you think?

jerryg79
08-25-2003, 08:32 AM
Wahoo!!!!

Today I drove myself to work, no more bumming rides from my girlfriend, or her mom, or her brother. I did it all by myself.

The swap was pretty uneventful. Came out and went in alot easier then i've ever seen one go in. I had to buy a new distributor gear, turns out with no lubrication the old became so sharp you could shave with it.

Had the distributor 180* off at first so that took a little bit of time but other than that everything works fine.

On a lighter note, KEYSTONE PREMIUM = BAD HANGOVER. They had it at the new HEB By my house, and so we all bought a six-pack of tall boys along with other assorted beers. I always wondered why they didnt sell it in stores, I beleive that is because it is so incredibly ****TY. I am pretty sure that Keystone Premium is some sick ongoing practical joke by Adolf Coors!!!

Now to change the oil.......:flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
08-25-2003, 08:48 AM
sweet...glad it went well. David and Al said they stopped by