PDA

View Full Version : ideas- Different kind of R&P?

BMFScout
08-22-2003, 08:59 AM
Much like Seth, I am going to start posting my crazy thought ramblings here. I encourage everyone to do it, kind of a brainstorming session, might lead to a new off-road revolution, and so when somebody else does it later, I can have proof that I thought of it first:D But it is mostly because I am bored.

So here is my new idea, rack and pinion on a off-road rig. The rack would be kind of like a ram type set-up, but without the "dangers" associated with full hydraulic. I am not exactly sure how to turn the pinion, some type of telescoping steering shaft. It would have Zero bump steer, maybe the steering shaft could also act as an anti-wrap bar :D Could completely eliminate any kind of steering box, just a shaft down to the rack. Ok, that is my dumb idea for the day. I am sure if it is a cool idea somebody would have done it by now, but that is what I thought about the extend-a-hubcaps:flipoff2:

Feel free to tell me I am :rainbow: or to interject your thoughts.

chevsu
08-22-2003, 10:35 AM
i have been thinking about doing that on the next rig i build. i think that alot of the baja type rigs run that setup. you can also run the rack and pinion with a ram assist setup to. Howe performance steering offers a rack/ram combo. now if you could figure a way to mount all that on the axle it would be sweet.

spool
08-22-2003, 01:45 PM
It is being done on the new rear steer Chevys. Next Idea

BMFScout
08-22-2003, 01:55 PM
here is my next idea then fawker, a used cadaver morgue tray wall that you could install in your shop. Then you could store all your tools in it and when you pulled them out of the wall there would be workbench type deal there too. How is that for a messed up idea... And I bet you could lock it up too, "easy clean up stainless steel"

My idea was to have steering with a shaft, not have some computer working my steering. I doubt (and know) that there is mechanical linkage to the rear of the chevy's. It was done on my '85 Supra too, but not like it would be on an off-road rig. You are such a fag Troy, trying to shoot down my cool ideas...:flipoff2: :D

Graystroke
08-22-2003, 11:50 PM
I've always thought that rack and pinion steering gave lots of kick back and bump steer because of their quick ratios. You've heard the ads, "Rack and pinion steering lets you feel the road." and every bump when you attach 35" tires. Maybe if you slowed the ratio? Also, R and P steering is kind of weak when compared to recirculating ball or worm and roller. OR maybe I totally misread your post and have know idea what you talking/trying to do. Have you thought about trying to modify a Flux-capacitor to see if this will solve all the worlds steering woes?

BMFScout
08-23-2003, 02:37 AM
listen numnutz, I am brainstorming, there are no right or wrong answers just throwing it out there. Thought it might spur some kind of ideas. I have an idea of using a 4 bar linkage for forced articulation, but I can't even explain it. I have ideas, and I am not smart, thought someone with brains might be able to make it work. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!!!! Everyone knows that you are :rainbow: and you use the rugged outdoor thing as a cover-up...:flipoff2:

mark
08-23-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by BMFScout
listen numnutz, I am brainstorming...

Sounds more like a drizzle. :flipoff2:

I like the idea of reigns for steering. It coudn't be any worse than some of the crap that's out there now.

-Mark

Cajun
08-24-2003, 09:34 PM
To hell with steering wheels all together. I'm for handbrakes--nothing but handbrakes. It would be just like my Dukes of Hazzard Bigwheel when I was a kid...the possibilities!

:flipoff2:

BMFScout
08-25-2003, 02:45 AM
holy shnikes! I haven't thought about that Dukes of Hazzard Big wheel until you just said something. I was a badass with that e-brake slide. I guess some things never change huh, Grayson?

I also just tried to picture Andy on a Dukes of Hazzard Big Wheel, man that is a funny image.