PDA

View Full Version : Kate's Lift

Shaggy
09-19-2003, 09:23 PM
We started on Kate's lift today. This is some of the progress we made.

This first picture is of Kate taking the spring bucket off

Shaggy
09-19-2003, 09:23 PM
This is Austin doing the other side.

Shaggy
09-19-2003, 09:25 PM
This is a view from the front. Notice the lovely cender blocks with jackstands on them... we believe in being safe.... right

Shaggy
09-19-2003, 09:26 PM
This is the pass side coil... it was broke:rolleyes:

Shaggy
09-19-2003, 09:27 PM
This is a pic of the swaybar that broke with slight Kate pressure... and a little Kate clevage too:D . needless to say we broke about 50% of the bolts trying to pull things apart.

Shaggy
09-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Stock coil next to lift coil...:D

Shaggy
09-19-2003, 09:30 PM
This is one of Kate taking the driveshaft off... don't you love it when a girl isn't scared to get a little dirty... no pun intended... maby

Shaggy
09-19-2003, 09:31 PM
I finished pulling the axle off when Austin went to take Kate to work. We are using the arms off my dana44 because we are too lazy to drill out all the broken bolts.

BigRedFord04
09-20-2003, 04:47 PM
we seem to have run into a problem...the lower bolt for the trac bar is pretty well frozen on there. and by pretty well i mean that i've already tried using tate's 8 foot piece of DOM as a breaker bar and it wont budge, so it needs to be cut off. does anyone have a sawzall we can use for about 30 mins?

Graystroke
09-20-2003, 06:10 PM
I've got a crappy 4" Die Grinder. You can borrw it if you think it will work.

Ingenloff
09-20-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by BigRedFord04
we seem to have run into a problem...the lower bolt for the trac bar is pretty well frozen on there. and by pretty well i mean that i've already tried using tate's 8 foot piece of DOM as a breaker bar and it wont budge, so it needs to be cut off.

Actually, the entire problem with this whole project is the fact that when I say rust is the only thing holding my pos together, I'm dead serious....I think a good majority of the suspension on there is stock - 25yrs with no love has made it a pain in the ass to work with.

Shaggy
09-20-2003, 08:37 PM
damn just got back from alto and it seems that there was NO progress today... oh well... just another vehicle in pieces in our driveway

stx4wheeler
09-21-2003, 04:32 PM
is that the six inch lift that yall are putting on, i am going to do the six inch on my 78 as soon as i get the money for the rest of the lift got the coils so far good luck on the rest, my track bar took alot of wd-40 and impact wrench

kevin

Ingenloff
09-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by stx4wheeler
is that the six inch lift that yall are putting on, i am going to do the six inch on my 78 as soon as i get the money for the rest of the lift got the coils so far good luck on the rest, my track bar took alot of wd-40 and impact wrench

Yeah, just a 6" lift, which really is only 2" above stock, so it's nothing massive at all....the trac bar is simply going to get the sawzall taken to it (hopefully tomorrow afternoon) - the wd-40 just ain't workin'...gotta go buy new calipers, longer brake line, and a new u-bolt for the drive shaft, not to mention replace all the bolts that have simply broken off when we tried to remove them. Hopefully that'll be the extent of more money to be spent or problems yet to be encountered....I'm not holding my breath on that one, though.

Chadnutz
09-21-2003, 11:08 PM
At least you know your truck will be in better shape than it was before.

Seth
09-21-2003, 11:12 PM
so what are you doing for a track bar...?? and you mean that 6" is 2" higher than a stock hiboy?? -- yeah when you are done it will be cool to look at all the new hardware, and know that none is broken like your coil was, and that you could twist off all the bolts if you needed to...and that it can prob take a pounding to boot. now just hurry and finish!!

BigRedFord04
09-21-2003, 11:26 PM
damn...i think everyone is getting anxious...it'll only be 2" higher than stock b.c. the stock high boy is a factory 4" lift. the previous owner took out 2" lift in the back (replace blocks w/ shorter ones) and put regular 4x4 coils on w/ a 1" spacer b.c. "he didnt like how it sat". we've gotta cut the lower bolt off the track bar b.c. the bar itself is getting replaced w/ a superlift adjustable track bar (p/n 1081...i think).

Lynda
09-22-2003, 09:02 AM
I think the new tires will make it look pretty massive though. I'm just happy Kates getting what she wants from the club....... a chance to learn more about a trucks, work on them, and get her monster truck she always wanted :) WAY TO GO KATE!!!!!!!!!
I think you and I should race real Monster Trucks :) That way we dont' have to pay OR work on them :cheers:

Ingenloff
09-22-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Lynda
I think the new tires will make it look pretty massive though. I'm just happy Kates getting what she wants from the club....... a chance to learn more about a trucks, work on them, and get her monster truck she always wanted :)

Actually, the tires will look about right with the lift and whatnot...as for height issues, I have yet to come across a rig in which I have to work to get into the driver's seat :D ....and most definitely the learning thing is nice. I've been told/shown a lot before, but doing the work is always the most helpful. By the end of the semester, between this and AGSM 201, I'll be set.....And as Nutz said, I'll know at least some of my truck is in safe working order. :rolleyes:

After this, all she'll need are:
-gears
-lockers
-headers
-stripped down to the metal, lots of body work, and new makeup

And like everyone one else in the club, the list goes on and on and on....too bad the checkbook ain't as healthy :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Lynda
I think you and I should race real Monster Trucks :) That way we dont' have to pay OR work on them :cheers:

SWEET! I'm not sure if that's a good or a scary thought...Get you me and Lissa all out there. But either way, it'd be badass :D :flipoff2:

uglyota
09-22-2003, 09:35 AM
Did you guys cut that trackbar yet? PB Blaster and a little heat usually do it for me, but if Tate's willing to donate...
Christ! New brakes, track bars, etc., etc. Don't you just love it when a project takes all of your credit cards, instead of just the one you were planning to use?

stx4wheeler
09-22-2003, 10:39 AM
one more question are yall using radius arm drop downs or the 7 degree bushings, and also if you cant find that sway bar end link you can still drive with out it with no problem, when i bought my bronco it was missing and i drove it for quite a while with only one of them and i made almost no ride difference than it rides now.

kevin

Ingenloff
09-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Using 4degree bushings in herited from a friend of a friend...and the sway bar is entirely coming off. I doubt it'll make much difference seeing as the links connecting them to the frame were maybe half and inch thick.

Trac bar has not yet been cut (at least to my knowledge) we're hoping to work on that this afternoon after classes.

As for my poor credit card....dammit, I had just zeroed out the balance on that damn thing too......oh yeah...forgot that I gotta get three sets of shocks to.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BigRedFord04
09-22-2003, 01:57 PM
the truck came w/ somewhat of drop brackets already, more so than are on my `95. I've got 7* bushings and i think its too much. sooo....she got 4* bushings for FREE w/ radius arm bushings (all polyurethane) so we're gonna use those. we werent planning on putting the sway bar back on anyway...its just more bushings to wear out. sway bars are for jeeps...i.e. :rainbow:

stx4wheeler
09-22-2003, 04:09 PM
thats a good point about the sway bar we relocated it back a couple inches on my friends bronco, but i think that off is better anyway just one more thing to break good luck with everything else

jerryg79
09-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by stx4wheeler
is that the six inch lift that yall are putting on, i am going to do the six inch on my 78 as soon as i get the money for the rest of the lift got the coils so far good luck on the rest,

If i were you I would drag putting the lift on out over a whole summer, stack it all up on your credit cards, by lockers tires lift and gears, get it all installed, and then sell the POS for a quarter on the dollar.

At least thats what i did:(

BigRedFord04
09-22-2003, 05:10 PM
its a great afternoon for workin' on trucks....anyone who wants is welcome to come over in about an hour and help us out. we're goin' to discount to get tires then ho'reillys to get some of the aforementioned necessary parts. any questions call 512.468.1604

BigRedFord04
09-23-2003, 04:35 AM
we quit workin' about 4am tonite. made a couple of last minute runs to the parts store. started off well, used 3 blades on the sawzall to cut thru the track bar bolt. got the new coils, radius arm bushings, c-bushings, track bar (and bushings), "new" center link on the steering (b.c. kate bent the old one in Llano) and front brake line "extension" all installed. rear leaves are removed. picked up the tires and had them mounted today. was hoping to have it ready for the truck show but realized we dont have new u-bolts for the back. the ones that were on there are too long b.c. they were for a 2" block and the new leaves arent that much thicker. once we get everything done she's going to order shocks...figger, a couple of days w/o them will just give her a chance to "loose up" the new suspension. we'll keep y'all posted. i'm sure tate will post some pics sometime soon.

Shaggy
09-23-2003, 05:08 PM
pics are on my to do list... i am kinda busy and will get some up shortly

Shaggy
09-23-2003, 05:09 PM
pics will be up sometime soon. seems i got **** to do they will be up later maby

BigRedFord04
09-24-2003, 04:09 PM
i'm running into a slight problem when putting her front axle back together. it seems the axle shafts dont want to extrude far enough for me to be able to get the inner snap rings on them. any ideas why or what i can do? anyone is welcome to come and help.

BMFScout
09-24-2003, 10:34 PM
take a pry bar an dwedge it into the u-joint then try to pull it back toward the outside, I guess what eight said pretty much...

Chadnutz
09-25-2003, 08:48 AM
I had that problem with the toy axle...

Ingenloff
09-27-2003, 02:07 PM
Alright, and a week later, LT is finally up and cruisin' the streets again...got the hubs and everything all situated when we realized that the groove the snap ring fits into on the shaft was too far in on the shaft; so we simply replaced then with Austin's spares....All four tires are on the ground (gonna need to get some wider rims...I'm not likin' those 15x8's so much), no shocks yet, gotta measure for and order those, thus making for a rather rough ride for the time being, but hey, it's done! And only 45 min. before the A&M vs. Pitt game (wish I could go).

I really do like how it turned out, even in spite of the fact that I look like the biggest piece of white trash driving around College Station. :rolleyes: It's all good - eventually I'll get to doing some body work and getting her all painted and prettied up (yes, it will be going to OD green)....then I'll learn some more and hopefully find some people to help me chop the **** out of it! :rolleyes: :D

Tate's got some pics on the digital camera - hopefully he'll have a chance to post 'em sometime.

Thanks for all the help and support y'all! :cheers:

Shaggy
09-29-2003, 10:25 PM
ok i said i would get some pics up... better late than never

this one is Kate's first ride on her new 37's

Shaggy
09-29-2003, 10:26 PM
her old 33's and new 37's big difference 'eh

Shaggy
09-29-2003, 10:27 PM
What a real girl thinks about getting your hands dirty

Shaggy
09-29-2003, 10:28 PM
and the final results... still needs shocks

TXsizeK5
09-29-2003, 10:47 PM
looks awesome ! :eek:

not too much room to stuff those meats though

Shaggy
09-30-2003, 12:38 AM
ya we have not checked how it flexes yet... gonna need to trim though

BigRedFord04
10-22-2003, 05:58 PM
i just found this pic of mine and kate's tires compared. mine have ~10K miles on them. i'd estimate 50% tread left.