PDA

View Full Version : Vortec Torque Specs, Jerry perhaps?

Fredo
09-24-2003, 01:52 PM
Anybody know the torque spec for the bolts on the intake manifold for a Vortec 350? I'm changing the intake manifold gaskets on my mom's van and I haven't been able to find the specs to torque the upper intake to the lower intake and the spec for the intake to the heads. Thought Jerry or Mike might know because of the recent motor swap on Jerry's truck.

jerryg79
09-24-2003, 05:37 PM
please hold i will go get my chiltons book....ps that book sucks but it does have the torque specs

jerryg79
09-24-2003, 05:42 PM
what year is it...there are specific orders too

jerryg79
09-24-2003, 06:02 PM
Ok this is a little canadian, i dont remember going to all of this trouble but whatever, this is what the book says for a 96-98 5.7L

first tighten to 71 inch lbs
then to 106 inch lbs
finally to 11-ft lbs

here is the order to tighten them it is confusing i will start with the front of the engine and give you the #'s for each bolt working front to back left to right.

Front left - 8
front right - 7
2nd back left - 1
2nd back right - 4
3rd back left - 3
3rd back right - 2
4th back left - 5
4th back right - 6

oh yeah and make sure that you tighten those good and get a good seal, that intake could leak coolant, and if you were stupid you could trash a motor that way!

hope that helps

Fredo
09-24-2003, 06:26 PM
yeah, the van is a 99, but the vans always use the truck motors for a few years after the trucks get a new motor, so it should be the same as 96-98. Yeah, you gotta watch that coolant leak. It could be bad. :flipoff2: We caught this one fairly early. It was leaking water into the valley, but hadn't really leaked enough to make it into the oil pan. So there was a little watery sludge in the valley, but the oil I drained out of the pan looked great. So I'm just cleaning the milky **** out of the valley, replacing the gaskets, and when it's back together, I'm going to do a short oil change interval to be safe. Probably only 500 to 1000 miles. Thanks again for the info.