PDA

View Full Version : Front coil-over install

TRDyota
09-28-2003, 12:28 AM
I'm fixin to buy a fabtech 2.5" front coil-over lift for my IFS 2000 Tacoma. Is there anywhere other than 4 wheel parts to order this lift?

Also, what 4x4 shops are around College Station install suspension lifts?

Thanks!

jerryg79
09-28-2003, 02:49 AM
I'm pretty sure a trained monkey could install coil-overs on that truck...but then again im an *******....come to find out

eight
09-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Why would you want coilovers on the IFS? Just for the bling? Just put a cheap lift on it. If you hang around here long the ifs will go the way of, well, recently, Mike's, John Browns's, Nutz's, Nix's, and in the past, all the toyota guys.

Graystroke
09-28-2003, 01:38 PM
eight, I think those trucks have some type of coilover set-up factory. I know for sure that the coil over set-up is easy and bolt on. would be great for desert racing!

Chadnutz
09-28-2003, 05:16 PM
If you are serious about off roading then don't waste your money on an IFS lift. If you only want to do mild stuff go for it. I thought IFS was good until I joined this club. Go on a trip (clayton) and see what the real rigs are pimping. None of them will have IFS.

Here is a link to some pictures of a truck that was once IFS but id now swapped. It is not something you need to model yours off of, but merely to show you what is involved in the process. It takes time, money, and help. Once it is done you won't regret it and your truck will be lightyears more capable than it currently is.

http://tamor.org/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1662

BigRedFord04
09-28-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Chadnutz
It is not something you need to model yours off of....
you can say that again :flipoff2:

fbronco86
09-28-2003, 05:43 PM
what do you want to do with this truck? Make it into a hardcore offroad truck? Or do you just want a truck to mess around in?

JB
09-28-2003, 08:23 PM
Sounds like its a DD/weekend wheeler. No need for a solid front.

Those lifts do not cost that much, make those truck look great too. There is a little offroad shop over off wellborn, and some new place in Bryan, but it can't be that difficult. You can borrow my driveway for a weekend, i'm sure some people wouldn't mind helping witht the right amount of beer.

Welcome to the club.

TRDyota
09-28-2003, 08:58 PM
Well JB,
I will take you up on that offer when the time comes around. I appreciate it. But still, is there anywhere else that sells suspension lifts (i.e. fabtech) for cheaper than 4 wheel parts?

eight
09-28-2003, 09:31 PM
Just buy a 4 wheel drive magazine and call the venders in there. A few I can think of are National Tire and Wheel, Desert Rat, Summit, Downey. Not saying they carry Fabtech though. Maybe find the fabtech website and look for a vender locator thing. But even though nobody likes 4 wheel parts, they usually have the best prices and you'll probably end up buying from them anyway. Or you could check at the little offroad shop on welborn road across from koppe bridge, not sure exactly what they sell, but they sell long shocks cheap.

bburris
09-28-2003, 10:22 PM
check around in the Vendor's Section on PBB, they usually run good deals on stuff if you're a PBB member

TRDyota
09-28-2003, 10:32 PM
whoa!!! you gotta remember that i'm a newbie. You can't just throw out a "PBB" without spelling it out for me like an elementary school teacher would.

eight
09-28-2003, 10:36 PM
www.pirate4x4.com

I don't suggest for you to start posting there though.....

Chadnutz
09-28-2003, 10:37 PM
pirate bulletin board

www.pirate4x4.com/forum

uglyota
09-30-2003, 03:49 PM
so did you surf PBB for a while and decide to start building a front axle for that thing? If you decide you like rockcrawling--and you will--you'll regret having spent money on an IFS lift. For SAS kits, look at frontrangeoffroad.com (link might not work--it's front range off-road fabrications), allprooffroad.com (good stuff, probably the biggest supplier of this stuff, but there's better stuff out there), sky-manufacturing.com (bling bling--they lazer etch everything), budbuilt.com (? don't know if they make a SAS kit)

bburris
09-30-2003, 04:26 PM
OK. Most people aren't ready to hack apart a 2000 model truck when they first start getting serious with offroading to swap a solid front axle in. Especially if there's any remnant of a warraqnty left on it. The coilover lifts are really well built. A guy here in Corpus just installed one on his Taco and has been very well pleased. The pic shows it with the front sway bar still connected, so it still looks like the typical IFS anti-flex, but after the sway bar was disconnected it was a whole lot better. With ground clearance, decent tires, and maybe a rear locker an IFS Toyota would go most anywhere around Texas that you want to go...just don't expect to enter a comp or take every hard obstacle you come across in Cruces or Moab...if you ever venture that far.

Here's Joe in his newly lifted Toy:
http://www.mrpeal.com/images/whereistheflex.JPG

http://www.mrpeal.com/images/gotflex.JPG

http://www.mrpeal.com/images/hmmflex.JPG

Like I said, after the sway bar was disco-ed, it looked a whole lot better. I think he also may have taken the leaf spring keepers off since then, gaining a little more rear travel.

eight
09-30-2003, 04:58 PM
I thought the TRD trucks had the electric rear locker?

TRDyota
09-30-2003, 05:12 PM
well uglyota,
frontrangeoffroad.com has an axle swap kit for 199. Where can i get a good (and cheap) axle. And, that sounds like a lot of work (a lot of expensive work). But it would be freakin sweet to swap a solid axle into the fron of the yota. I know other club members have done axle swaps, is that something i could get club members to help me out with? or should i got to a shop?

TRDyota
09-30-2003, 05:14 PM
TRD's do have an electric rear locker, but only the TRD's

CRaSHnBuRN
09-30-2003, 05:14 PM
very rarely do they have E-locks. I wish they did, because I really need one.

Have you been to TTORA yet? Lots of info on tacos there. The fabtech kit is allright, but doesn't really do much but give you a little better ride or a little adjustability. Plus, if you have auto hubs max lift is 2in. I say it would be much better and cheaper to go spacers.

SAS, don't think of it as a possibilty, its a neccessity. Save your money and do it right the first time. Once you start dumping money into little crap like coilovers and so forth, it'll add up quickly, and suddenly your sitting there with a crappy suspension that you've dumped more into than if you had just waited and done the SAS. Before long it'll be like third generation trucks where you have to practically give away ifs lifts to get rid of them.

At this point, Allpoor is working on a taco sas, but the hangers are looking iffy. But more and more people are doing their own, and most if not all the bugs have been worked out. Take your time, collect parts, and learn from other people, and then do the sas when your ready.

Check out this link
SAS tacos (http://www.members.cox.net/ktontacoma/azrocks2003.htm)

CRaSHnBuRN
09-30-2003, 05:17 PM
And for the love of god, do not, and I repeat, do not ask about an IFS lift for a taco or any toy for that matter on PBB.

CRaSHnBuRN
09-30-2003, 05:22 PM
axle- D44 from a ford, or the old fullsize cherokees. Go to pirate and do a search on taco sas's. Lots of info and links.

BTW, a friend built a taco, but kept the IFS. Lockers, gears, 6in lift, tsls etc. He thought it was nice, until he took my sas'ed toy for a ride. The next day the taco went for sale so he could build a sas rig. Figures it is easier to start over

TRDyota
09-30-2003, 05:46 PM
are you taking your sas'ed toyota to llano this weekend? I'd like to check it out.

eight
09-30-2003, 05:54 PM
His is slightly out of comission for a while.

TRDyota
09-30-2003, 05:58 PM
why is it out of commision?

redcagepatrol
09-30-2003, 05:59 PM
Robert was one of the first to do the swap on a Taco:

http://128.83.80.200/taco/

he has been wheeling that thing for years - all over the country. If you need something answered you can ask him. He has a HUGE picture gallery from trips all over. He always drives his rig there. I am not sure how many times he has driven it to CA and AZ, but he get around pretty good.

uglyota
09-30-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by TRDyota
why is it out of commision?
http://community.webshots.com/album/80517650uVYnDs
So do you have an e-lock? Or LSD?
Chris and Scott have a lot more to offer here than I do. My rig came with two axles...I just did a XCS (xtra cab swap)!

TRDyota
09-30-2003, 07:25 PM
I have an e-lock. As a matter of fact, it's brand new cause the old one broke on me not too long ago. The warranty covers it to 60,000 miles, so the dealership picked up the tab for it.