PDA

View Full Version : Drive shaft Question

Graystroke
09-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Are drive shaft yokes suppose to be parallel or 90 deg off? By parallel I mean the two yokes on either end of the shaft should lie up. Parallel, right?

fbronco86
09-30-2003, 05:11 PM
i am gonna say parallel

BigRedFord04
09-30-2003, 05:11 PM
supposably....i think...mine are parallel F/R of the F/R......you do drive a foreign car though....never know what those Brits are gonna do, they put the steering wheel on the wrong side

robertf03
09-30-2003, 06:25 PM
do you even have u joints on those? I thought they were that rubber cross pin type deal. I think thats what my dad's are

redcagepatrol
09-30-2003, 06:54 PM
click on tech info:
http://www.4xshaft.com/

Graystroke
09-30-2003, 10:51 PM
That worthless rubber thing is in the rear on newer LR's and was dropped towards the end of Series I production. My RR, being the old school truck that it is, has the normal U-joints. I putting this double-cardon on the front.
PS you ever get that diff lock working? If you go to the PBB forum and search LR Talk, there was a guy with the same problem. He fixed it w/o pulling the T-case. That crap happens from not using the diff-lock...ever. I think in the manual, like most four wheel drives, it says to engage the diff lock about once a month to keep everything lubed and from building up gunk on the slider forks.

eight
09-30-2003, 11:09 PM
With a CV shaft it doesn't matter if the yokes are in line. If you're putting that on the front the pinion needs to point at the transfer case output and you have to rotate the knuckles to get caster right again. Or you can just say **** the pinion angle.

TXsizeK5
09-30-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by BigRedFord04
you do drive a foreign car though....never know what those Brits are gonna do, they put the steering wheel on the wrong side

They also have offset differentials for rear axles... :confused:

Graystroke
09-30-2003, 11:38 PM
It's coil sprung so the pinion already points at the t-case. and yes the caster is off. that's the next project. the knuckles are bolted to the axle housing. I plan on having a machine shop index the holes a few degrees and rotate the knuckles that way.

And these things are permanent 4WD. So everything's spinning all the time.

Off-set diffs make a lot of sense. Instead of clearing the front pumpkin and hanging the centered rear, I just put all the high stuff under the driver side. :D

Although rover's diffs and axle strength have a lot left to be desired the silly brits did there home work on making the underbelly relatively clean from dangling shock mounts, low hanging t-cases, etc.

Did I also mention the gear driven t-case w/ 3.31 Low/ 1.22 High ratio? What about the boxed and seam welded frame, or the aluminum body panels, aluminum blocked mighty 4.2L Rover V8( I can pick up a short block), ZF auto, and it still ways 5200lbs! Silly Brits :flipoff2:

jerryg79
09-30-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Graystroke
It's coil sprung so the pinion already points at the t-case. and yes the caster is off. that's the next project. the knuckles are bolted to the axle housing. I plan on having a machine shop index the holes a few degrees and rotate the knuckles that way.

And these things are permanent 4WD. So everything's spinning all the time.

Off-set diffs make a lot of sense. Instead of clearing the front pumpkin and hanging the centered rear, I just put all the high stuff under the driver side. :D

Although rover's diffs and axle strength have a lot left to be desired the silly brits did there home work on making the underbelly relatively clean from dangling shock mounts, low hanging t-cases, etc.

Did I also mention the gear driven t-case w/ 3.31 Low/ 1.22 High ratio? What about the boxed and seam welded frame, or the aluminum body panels, aluminum blocked mighty 4.2L Rover V8( I can pick up a short block), ZF auto, and it still ways 5200lbs! Silly Brits :flipoff2:

well it seems that gayness just runs rampant with the limies now doesnt it....ps i still want to ride in the pos:D

BigRedFord04
09-30-2003, 11:49 PM
ZF's are DEFINATELY not gay

BMFScout
10-01-2003, 01:22 AM
kind of a no brainer, but make sure you set the pinion with the weight of the vehicle on the axle...