PDA

View Full Version : New Fans

BigRedFord04
05-22-2002, 12:14 AM
I finally got rid of that damned super blower thats been on the front of my motor for about 18 months now. It was that way due to the severe duty fan clutch I had on there and was really pissing me off. Today I replaced the fan, clutch and shroud for two 14" electric fans and I love them already. Each one is about 1100 cfm. Without that gay azz fan and clutch power increased noticeably and hopefully gas mileage will too, only time will tell. I've got a nice little switch on the dash so I can turn them off for highway driving and flip 'em back on for the city traffic. The silent operation is "Oh, So Nice."

Chadnutz
05-22-2002, 05:56 PM
I have electric fans and I hate them. If you forget to turn them on when you slow down next thing you know your guage is way hihg. If they blow a fuse or the wiring gets messed up you are screwed. It has happened to me plenty of times. I can't wait to get my reliabe manual fan back.

StevenAg03
05-22-2002, 09:37 PM
austin, with your electrical system, whin the hell would you want to turn them off anyway.....just leave the bastids on on the highway....

BigRedFord04
05-22-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Chadnutz
If you forget to turn them on when you slow down next thing you know your guage is way hihg. If they blow a fuse or the wiring gets messed up you are screwed. It has happened to me plenty of times

...if you're retarded...

BigRedFord04
05-22-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by StevenAg03
austin, with your electrical system, whin the hell would you want to turn them off anyway.....just leave the bastids on on the highway....

Pretty much just b.c. I can...I like having the control

Chadnutz
05-22-2002, 10:29 PM
No matter how smart you think you are, you will forget. I promise.

Krawler68
05-23-2002, 09:00 AM
I don't know Austin's pretty smart...

BMFScout
05-24-2002, 01:28 AM
You could always put a thermostatic switch in there, of course that would be way above half ***, and you know the club motto, "Half *** or no *** at all" It could also be "titties and beer" but I digress, besides I have no room to talk because my $20 dual swap meet fans are on a manual switch and I don't have any designs of going to a thermostatic switch anytime soon.

BigRedFord04
05-25-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by BMFScout
You could always put a thermostatic switch in there, of course that would be way above half ***, and you know the club motto, "Half *** or no *** at all"

Yeah, a guy I work with told me about that but it sounded too complicated for me to try to figure out :-p...the switch should do just fine

Chadnutz
05-25-2002, 09:02 PM
I used to have a box that controlled the fans. They would turn on when the a/c came on and when the temperature got
past a certain level set by a dial. The main power connector that was soldered on the circuit board ready to accept a female connector broke off no less than 3 times. Each time I was screwed pretty much. I had to drive around with the heater on full blast in the middle of summer until I could re solder it. The things have blown/melted no less than five 20-25 amp fuses. I can feel vibrations in the steering wheel when they are on. Soon I will draw power for each of them through 2 wires and 2 fuses.
This will eliminate the fuse problem, but I still forget to turn them on sometimes.

BigRedFord04
05-25-2002, 09:15 PM
I'm running power to mine thru a 30 amp spade fuse to a relay under the dash, then out to the fans themselves. Seems to work well but I'm thinkin' about switching the power off the main battery to the backup and see if it doesnt draw quite as much. I think it will though.