PDA

View Full Version : street-sign type channel iron

uglyota
11-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Okay until I figure out exactly what to do with the back of my truck, I'm going to rig up something to hold my spare tire and Hi-Lift. I think that a couple of pieces of that galvanized channel with all the holes in it; like you might see "no parking" at the top of, would do the trick. Does anybody have any of this lying around for any reason? Just thought I'd ask before I start getting creative:D

BigRedFord04
11-04-2003, 07:38 PM
i've got a piece at home...i think its green....i'll need to take the hays county sign off of it before you can have it :D

uglyota
11-05-2003, 12:45 PM
bring it to the meeting? I'll buy you a beer:cheers:

BigRedFord04
11-05-2003, 02:20 PM
its at home in austin....wouldnt be able to get it 'til this weekend

uglyota
11-05-2003, 06:12 PM
kewl...I can still use it.
nobody ever died from a missing "no parking" sign though...

stx4wheeler
11-12-2003, 01:32 AM
hey just to let you know that stuff doesnt weld to well, at least not pretty at all, and gives off a bad gas when welded, definately do it out in the open. i made a makeshift bumper out of it, if austin cant help you out i can bring the bumper back up her after thanksgiving possibly if i got room.

eight
11-12-2003, 09:50 AM
Yep, it's galvanized, thickly too. Do not breath the smoke. It will weld uglishly unless you grind off the coating. But I think he's gonna bolt it together.

lissa
11-12-2003, 09:54 AM
take a wire wheel on a grinder and give it hell. Then it welds wicked pissah, I made some speaker stands out of it, first welding project.

uglyota
11-12-2003, 11:01 AM
I didn't know you welded, lissa:D
Worked with it yesterday...that is some tough chit!
The coating catches on fire when you weld on it and smokes yellow. Leaves a white residue after you blow the fire out. Um...if you have to cut it, have a stack of cut-off wheels handy. Burned up an entire "the torch" sawzall blade making one cut ($3 each!) and my 1/2" drill bit trying to enlarge some holes.
Otherwise it's sweet!

Doug Krebs
11-12-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by uglyota
I didn't know you welded, lissa:D
Worked with it yesterday...that is some tough chit!
The coating catches on fire when you weld on it and smokes yellow. Leaves a white residue after you blow the fire out. Um...if you have to cut it, have a stack of cut-off wheels handy. Burned up an entire "the torch" sawzall blade making one cut ($3 each!) and my 1/2" drill bit trying to enlarge some holes.
Otherwise it's sweet!

Hope you didnt' breathe it. If you did milk helps stop some of the pain from what I hear.

uglyota
11-12-2003, 11:55 AM
didn't breathe any. My garage is full of junk...I work outside. Why, what is it? Sulfur-based?

stx4wheeler
11-12-2003, 05:59 PM
i dont remember what is in it i think there is some sulfur, and it is easy to cut with a chop saw:D