PDA

View Full Version : CKD Land Rover 110?

Graystroke
11-04-2003, 10:46 PM
This is at SEMA:

Land Rover was displaying a Defender 110 at SEMA w/ the badge number of 501/500. For those not in the know, Land Rover brought over 500 110's in 1993 at a cost of $39k a piece. Right now these are going for as much as $60k w/ 50k miles!
CKD's (Complete Knock Down) are kits that Land Rover produces for overseas exports. The vehicle is crated in parts to say S. Africa, (where there is a CKD plant) and assembled. There is no manufacturing plant involved once it leaves the UK.
I guess LR figured out that if so many people were over here building these from imported parts that there might be a market for this sort of thing, one can only hope! The engine is said to be a 2.8L International Powerstroke Turbo 4cylinder (old 300TDI), which was originally built buy LR until they ditched it for the current TD5 [this is part of the Land Rover-Ford (who owns International) partnership]
I would put down a deposit if it ever comes full circle!
Here's some pics:
http://www.tawayama.com/gear/defenderckd.html
p.s. this is to get away from all the US importation laws. No Air Bags, No OBDII!

Graystroke
11-05-2003, 11:39 AM
LAS VEGAS, Nevada, November 4, 2003 – Land Rover North America is displaying the Land Rover Defender 110 CKD (Complete Knock Down) at the 2003 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) annual trade show. A natural fit for an event devoted to vehicle customization, the Defender 110 CKD is a fully assembled kit version of its most iconic vehicle.

“SEMA is the perfect platform to remind the world of our inherent capability in the utility vehicle segment, and Defender happens to be the most flexible and most heavily accessorized vehicle in the Land Rover lineup,” commented Communications Director Larry Rosinski, Land Rover North America. “SEMA also allows us to showcase that—in addition to being built in any way—Defender can also be built anywhere.”

Defender is specifically engineered for manufacturing flexibility. While the majority of global assembly occurs in Solihull, England, the balance takes place at in-market CKD factories. These six global facilities receive, unpack, and assemble the Solihull-sourced components. This approach allows Land Rover to reach markets that are not accessible to other brands, continuing its heritage of service and expedition.

Currently, sold in over 100 markets around the world, the Defender is available in three different wheelbases, 90, 110 and 130, as well as numerous body styles and interior configurations. While rugged and practical in appearance, today's Defender marries legendary capability with the amenities expected in a modern vehicle. "And with countless accessory choices," adds Rosinski, "Defender CKD continues the model's tradition of functionality to suit any purpose."

Defender 110 CKD Features include:

Exterior color – Chawton White
Interior trim - Black Leather
Leather steering wheel
Polished gear knobs
Brunel Switch Panel
Air Conditioning
Single in-dash CD player
Electric Front Windows
Full external/internal roll cage
Black Door Casings with Brunel Trim
Sunroof
Diamond Plate Floor Mats
Electronic Traction Control
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
16x7 Steel Wheels
Bridgestone Dueller MT 285/75/16 Tires
Rock Sliders
Front steering guard
Rear fuel tank guard
Winch integrated bumper
Raised Air Intake

uglyota
11-05-2003, 12:52 PM
but I thought real rigs were built, not bought.
I want one!

CRaSHnBuRN
11-05-2003, 05:29 PM
I always thought the d90s were cool. Then I saw one of those crew cab ones with the truck bed in austin, and I nearly had to pick my jaw off the ground. That thing was sweet. Thats a D110, right? So what is the 130?

agjohn02
03-05-2006, 06:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Defender-1993-Land-Rover-Defender-110-64k-miles_W0QQitemZ4617468898QQcategoryZ31849QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Defender-1993-Land-Rover-Defender-110-39k-miles_W0QQitemZ4616375756QQcategoryZ31849QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

time for that deposit

CheapJeep
03-05-2006, 08:00 PM
I wish I had a d90 or d110. I've been wanting one of those since I was a kid and saw em' in those Camel Trophy rally's or whatever.

robertf03
03-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I wish I had a d90 or d110. I've been wanting one of those since I was a kid and saw em' in those Camel Trophy rally's or whatever.

camel trophy vehicles are cool

CheapJeep
03-05-2006, 08:32 PM
More like this...
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/Camel%20Trophy%20110.JPEG