PDA

View Full Version : Clayton trails

aggielr
11-11-2003, 10:07 PM
Got this from PBB, might be worthwhile to look into, its supposed to be Dec. 6th

Some of you know about this from the Ft Worth Dallas Four wheel drive meeting tonight.at mr frielings we attempted to get people involved but most looked at the property and decided it was not worth it. as you know this is a great property. so here is another chance. let do it so it doesnt take 3.5 years this time. this is a off roaders gold mine!!!!!Willy is open to any and all suggestions
We have been looking for some more property in the Calyton area. well last Sunday I finally got to go with Willy Martin the owner of 1700 acres on the top of flag pole hill. this is the small mountain that over looks the town of clayton from the west. It is going to be real easy to access and have everything from a 2 trail to an area that i have yet to see with 50 foot waterfalls. this area is of course Rough Canyon. I am told there are 2 nice 10 and 12 foot waterfalls that we can run a 3 trail by to have lunch at. I personally viewed a ravine filled with rocks very similar to JEMS but about 10 times as long. the upper part of this same trail is very similar to TSOB at mr frielings but again about 10 times as long. Willy is in the process of marking the outer boarder of the property and starting to clear this ravine for us. there also was a look out point that gave me the feeling of being on the top of the 3rd stage of the old 3 stage we just need to come up from the bottom or drop off and go. he currently has some fences up that he will be putting gates in for us and starting to mark trails. all we need to do is go clear the trails out and have fun. as we build the trails which is where all of you come in there will not be a charge. in a month or 2 it will then go to 10 dollars a day of 20 for the weekend. also you can primitive camp for an addtional 10. 2 ways of doing this. find David Willimas shop and have him get Willy for you. willy doesnt have a phone but his parents do and he carries a 2 way radio all the time. the 2nd way ask for directions to flag pole hill, drive from paved to gravel road and continue up the mountian looking west. you will go a ways on top of the ridge. what you are looking for are 2 cell phone antenas and 1 fire watch tower. when you get close you will come to an orange gate. at the gate turn left around the corner instead of going through the gate. this is Willys parents house and where you check in and in the future pay.
so now dec 6th weekend i am going up and starting the trail process. right now we have 3 trails we can run that weekend with very little work involved. more just runnign the rocks trimming back branches and moving or smashing any downed trees.the great part of this is the wide variety that we have. we can use help from a stock ride to a monster. of course the trails that will be built are the ones that apply to the vehicles that show up ???? so if you are tired of us building 6 trails and you want 3's show up !!!! I will be leaving the AA motel at 0900 saturday moring the dec 6th. come lend a hand and check it out...I havent talked to Willy but i would like to see something like gilmer. you build it you name it and take credit for it. whether it be a group of friends or a club!!!!!
Willy is also working on a total of 5000 acres before it is all done.
please post this on any other forums. i have it on cowtown,Lone star Jeep Club,Lonestar 4x4 and Pirates4x4
Mike Green
if you are not familar with jems look at our website below. then go to jems 2002 or 2003

EDIT: since i'll really only have 2 classes left at that time and the next couple of days there are dead, i might try to make it, since i probably won't be able to go w/ ya'll after finals because of graduation

redcagepatrol
12-01-2003, 11:55 AM
man, even more new trails in Clayton - sounds like fun!!
:D