PDA

View Full Version : cracked th350

Violentv8toy
11-12-2003, 01:50 AM
Well...here is a pic of the mount i was talking about...just looking at it, it looks fine...but if you think about the way it torques over....its damn near a solid mount on a mushy surface.

So you guys think i can weld her up?

Do i just use an arc? It still transfers power....If i fixed my tranny mount and welded the tranny back together...i could probably take it to SA. The tranny is the only thing keeping me from taking it.

Violentv8toy
11-12-2003, 01:50 AM
sdf remember....theres no bushing on the bolt heads under the crossmember.

I never said i was smart....i just like working with vehicles and offroading.....but i never said i was good at any of it. :)
:cheers:

Violentv8toy
11-12-2003, 01:53 AM
sdafgsd This is what my engine mounts look like...

Violentv8toy
11-12-2003, 01:54 AM
yall think i could maybe weld it while its on the vehicle....cause its gonna be hell trying to get to the bolts to take it off.

If i do weld it back up....will it be a good reliable tranny still? I've got a spare th350....but its not as good a condition as this.

stx4wheeler
11-12-2003, 02:08 AM
i am not sure as whether you can weld it up or not, but i think you could definately find some kind of urethane bushing to soften up the ride on that tranny before this weekend if you can get the tranny welded. If you cant i wouldn't mess with it cause like you said the torque and movement of tranny off road will be worse than on the street and same thing is gonna happen.

Violentv8toy
11-12-2003, 02:12 AM
Oh well getting 2 bushings isnt hard at all...it wont take but 5 min at the parts store and about 30 minutes to do it correctly.

I'm just wondering if i weld up the tranny....will it be reliable enough to take to SA? I reaaaaally want to wheel.

Doug Krebs
11-12-2003, 09:23 AM
what the hell are you welding on the transmission??????? The case?

Doug Krebs
11-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Now that i read the SA thread. That housing on the transmission is aluminum. Can you weld aluminum?? I wouldn't trust a welded aluminum case as far as I can throw it. If it was a trailer queen I might, but I wouldn't want to be that guy on the trail the rigged my truck so I can go wheeling and how someone has to pull me the whole way out.

Why don't you get a new case or tranny and swap it in? Or buy a rebuilt one from a tranny shop around there. You're goign to have to get another one any ways. I don't think a 350 would be that expensive.

eight
11-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Welding the mount back on probably wouldn't hold. You get about no penetration on aluminum. On mine, I welded the cracks and part of the mount back on to cover a hole, then made a steel mount that bolts onto the case, so there is no stress on what used to be the mount. But my case has a perfect spot to bolt a mount on, while I'm pretty sure a th350 does not. Fix it right.

So Doug. Don't think the blazer would be up to pulling a little toyota off the trail? :D

chevsu
11-12-2003, 10:32 AM
i have welded a few aluminum tranmission and they have held up really well. usually the aluminum they use is a very high quality. you just have to grind all the crack out and if you weld it right you can get plenty of penetration. it needs to be tigged preferably by somebody that know what there doing. we welded a whole bell housing on a ford trans back on once and haven't heard of any problems yet and he hauls cattle all the time with it.

do you have a pic of the crack?

uglyota
11-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Why don't you give advance adapters a call and put your yota tranny and tcase back in? You didn't sell them yet, did you?

uglyota
11-12-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Doug Krebs
I wouldn't want to be that guy on the trail the rigged my truck so I can go wheeling and how someone has to pull me the whole way out.
Dont worry, that will be me:D

Doug Krebs
11-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by chevsu
i have welded a few aluminum tranmission and they have held up really well. usually the aluminum they use is a very high quality. you just have to grind all the crack out and if you weld it right you can get plenty of penetration. it needs to be tigged preferably by somebody that know what there doing. we welded a whole bell housing on a ford trans back on once and haven't heard of any problems yet and he hauls cattle all the time with it.

do you have a pic of the crack?

Of course it works when you're Cody and you have god welders!:flipoff2:

Violentv8toy
11-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Alright....Well its a about 3 huge cracks...and i'll go ahead and say that i'm not gonna try to weld it.

My buddy has a spare th350 that i can have...but it wont make SA this weekend.

But it will be ready next time...

uglyota
11-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Where's your buddy's tranny? You can't swap it by this weekend?

Doug Krebs
11-12-2003, 12:08 PM
Seriously, you can do it! Swap the bitch in, it won't take that long.

Violentv8toy
11-12-2003, 12:27 PM
Its in carrizo springs.....south of uvalde.

I could swap it out...but...i dont know...i'd have to do it friday and then go to SA. Its possible...but i dont want to lead my friend on a goosechase across the state.

Putting a toy trans and case isnt an option. THis engine has too much power for this truck to begin with...

EDIT: I decided that i'm not ready for SA. But Chevsu...you think you could weld her back up for a 2 cases of beer someday or at least look at it? If you wouldn't be confident that it wouldnt hold up...i'll just replace it.

uglyota
11-12-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Violentv8toy
Chevsu...you think you could weld her back up for a 2 cases of beer someday or at least look at it? If you wouldn't be confident that it wouldnt hold up...i'll just replace it.
3 cracks! You are cheap, aren't you
Lots of people run toyota gear behind 350s. Your tranny and tcase have more than enough balls for that smallblock, and I think the tcase has lower gears than your 205 (is that what you put in?). So what's your real reason?:flipoff2:

Violentv8toy
11-12-2003, 01:07 PM
Cheap ass mofo i b!
:flipoff2:

Well my real reason is that i honestly think this engine puts out way too much power for a toyota tranny...esp since its on 38s. The 5th gear would be nicer than 350s 1:1...and lower gears would be nicer, but i think i'll end up killing the tranny.

Another reason is my cheapness...bellhousing conversion kits and all that crap...thats serious bling. I'd rather replace a th350 3 times than spend 500 dollars on a 'not as strong' setup. The 205 is stronger than the toy case...though the toy case would be just fine. Also...my driveshafts are so perfect. I've spent about 30 dollars in my shafts, and they're perfect. I dont want to have to cut em up and reweld em. I'm tired of working backwards. I want to wheel.

uglyota
11-12-2003, 01:27 PM
good call. The bellhousing adapter won't be cheap, and if you did kill the w56, rebuild's more expensive than a th350 overhaul. The torque converter in your auto might let you keep that rear end intact as well. Check the thrifty nickel...I bet there's a few th350s in there right now.

How slow does she go with the high gears and big-azz tires? Bet it does real good in the mud! Oh, and by the way, how much is the th350 tranny-toy tcase adapter from aa (when you decide to work on the crawl ratio)?:flipoff2:

PS what's the tranny/tcase price down to now?:D

Violentv8toy
11-12-2003, 01:38 PM
I havent been able to try a topspeed because i havent taken it on the highway because i dont have a hood on it.

I'd say she'll do 0-60 in at least 8 seconds....it will spin the 38s with just a blip of the throttle.

I probably wont go to a toy case...nor will i do a doubler. I'll leave it as is and start all over again with a tacoma or T100...2wds....it will be a 1 ton on 39+s.

As for the tranny...i think i'm gonna get it welded up...fix the tranny mount...chain the engine down..and then do roads and alot of throttle runs and try to break the welded tranny again. I'd hate to stick the other 350 in and fawk that one up.

And as for the tranny and t-case price....260..some guy of pirate wants it pretty bad and hes from austin..but if u want it...give me 260.01 and its yours.

chevsu
11-12-2003, 01:45 PM
i could look at the trans and give you answer or show me a good pic of it.

Violentv8toy
11-12-2003, 01:46 PM
well...if you arent busy at about 8:00 tonight...i can pick u up and take u to go look at it. Or I can get some pictures posted on here at about 10:00 tonight.

chevsu
11-12-2003, 01:49 PM
just get me some pics of it that will be good enough.

uglyota
11-12-2003, 02:13 PM
I havent been able to try a topspeed because i havent taken it on the highway because i dont have a hood on it.
I'd say she'll do 0-60 in at least 8 seconds....it will spin the 38s with just a blip of the throttle.
I asked how SLOW. Or are you desert racing?:flipoff2:
Go ahead and sell the tranny/tcase. If I had $260 I'd buy Skinny J's tires and a couple cases of good beer to take to SA:cheers:

Violentv8toy
11-12-2003, 02:22 PM
ohh...crawl is like 40:1...but its not bad with an automatic.

Violentv8toy
12-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Cody, do you think you weld this tranny up for me this weekend or early next week sometime? Its really not bad cracks and If I could ARC it, i would...so i figure you could Tig it pretty easlily.

If you can't, does anyone know who's got a TIG and can weld this crack up for a bit-o-dough?

uglyota
12-07-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Doug Krebs
Of course it works when you're Cody and you have god welders!:flipoff2:
Haha is that like a Jesus tire?

Violentv8toy
12-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Pulled the tranny tonight. As soon as i started letting it down, crack crack crack and the crack expanded *shiat*....just needed one more bellhousing bolt off.....CRACK...the bellhousing cracked completely off and sent everything tumbling. Luckily it didn't kill us. I kinda figured it would happen...so oh well.

Upon further inspection, the bellhousing is really thin and cheapish. I wish I had come upon a 465/205 instead of this aluminum pos. But then again its my dumba55 fault for messing up the mounts. Duhr:p

anyone have a 4wd th350 for sale around college station for about 150 bux? Otherwise i'll have to use the spare one 6 hrs away.

jerryg79
12-08-2003, 11:34 PM
I know a guy with a 700R4 raptor....I heard those are the best trannies ever made!!!!!!!!:D

eight
12-09-2003, 12:10 AM
If your spare one don't work out, I have one in Karnes City for $95. Its a 3 hour drive from here.

Violentv8toy
12-09-2003, 04:03 AM
what kind of condition is it in? When could i get it?

If its a good tranny...consider it sold if I can pick it up by the 16th.

eight
12-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Well, you can go down there and pick it up today or any other day probably. I won't be down there untill the 20somethingth but I can have someone show you to it. It worked fine before I pulled it about a month ago. Its dirty and leaks, I'd replace any seals while its out, bent the dipstick tube but it can be straightened or use your old one. Its sitting on a cotton trailer so it will be easy to load. Just gotta seperate it from my np203 and adapter.

uglyota
12-09-2003, 10:50 AM
wait...did just the bellhousing crack? Can't you just bolt a new one on?

eight
12-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Autos have the bellhousing as part of the case. No taking apart.

uglyota
12-09-2003, 11:04 AM
that blows

Violentv8toy
12-09-2003, 04:17 PM
how bad does it leak? where does it leak? Does it shift good? When you say seals, do you mean like the transmission pan or what? I basically need a transmission that i can pop in and run with. If yours fits the bill, i'll take it and go pick it up here in a couple of days....95 cash?

BTW, does anyone have a good floor jack i can borrow for a couple of hours....putting a tranny sucks with a bottle jack.:p

J Cooper
12-09-2003, 04:22 PM

BTW, does anyone have a good floor jack i can borrow for a couple of hours....putting a tranny sucks with a bottle jack.:p

yes, it has like a 5-6" contact surface i think, throw some chains around it and it will work alright

Violentv8toy
12-09-2003, 04:47 PM
ooo...those big jacks are great. I had one but some theif took it.:mad:

Anyway, thanks for letting me borrow it...very cool.

J Cooper
12-09-2003, 04:51 PM
I had one but some theif took it.:mad:

oh that was you???:confused:

:flipoff2: just let me know when you need it

eight
12-09-2003, 05:08 PM
Leaks bad enough that it needs to be fixed to be used. About a quart in a week probably. I think it shifts good only drove it twice, I know it didn't slip with the old 350 in front of it probably only making about 150hp. I never looked where the leak was coming from. You should put a new pan seal on when you change the filter, and while its out just put all new seals in it. Can't cost much more than $20 for the input and output seals and then the little seals for the shifting stuff. I think its the input seal that's leaking. Cash is good.

Violentv8toy
12-09-2003, 05:38 PM
How long would it take to replace those? Can i put the tranny in and then change it while its up in the vehicle? I don't know anything about these trannys.

Doug Krebs
12-09-2003, 05:44 PM
How long would it take to replace those? Can i put the tranny in and then change it while its up in the vehicle? I don't know anything about these trannys.

why on earth would you do that? Just do it on the ground. I've got a spare raptor I can sell you!!!

Why not just swap in a 465/205 like you want to do? If you look around you can get them for around 200 - 250. The whole swap with the clutch would cost you under 500?? I wish I would have done it my 2nd raptor ago!!

eight
12-09-2003, 05:53 PM
The input and output seals should only take a few minutes each. They're just like a, well dammit I don't know where one would be on a toyota. Like the front main seal on your 350, or a wheel seal on a full float rear axle or a dana front. The whole reason why you should change all the seals before putting it in is because it is easy. Its a bitch to do it later.

Violentv8toy
12-09-2003, 06:07 PM
OK consider it sold...tell me where i can give ya the 95 and when and where i can pick it up and all that good stuff.

Well if i woulda done it again, i would have gone 465/205 but i found this th350/205 for cheap and it had a shift kit and i kinda thought an auto would be cool and neat and all that good stuff.

I can't go backwards because my driveshafts are already shortened and at a perfect length. If i did a 465, i'd have to lengthen my shortened rear shaft and shorten my already shortened front shaft and then my shaft angle on my front will be :rainbow: not to mention i no longer have a clutch pedal in it. 500 dollars is too damn much for me right now anyway. He'll my buddy's got a 465 he'll give me but I can't work backwards...i havent wheeled it since March...im in a 'must wheel' situation.:D

EDIT: I'd like to pick it up tomorrow if i can. Thanks.

Graystroke
12-09-2003, 06:28 PM
Autos have the bellhousing as part of the case. No taking apart.

My ZF Auto does! :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

eight
12-09-2003, 08:05 PM
Well, you did catch the part about it being 3 hours away right? You'll have to go to my farm in Panna Maria, probably meet one of my brothers in Karnes City. I gotta set it up with them too. Call me. 979-571-1460.

Violentv8toy
12-12-2003, 12:40 AM
Tranny in possession....Going in on monday/tuesday.....thanx for the tranny... and tell Kirk that I appreciated the help once again....

Violentv8toy
12-22-2003, 10:23 PM
DRIVEWAY KARNAGE!!!!!

Its all cause of that hot snake i've got under the hood.

Violentv8toy
12-22-2003, 10:32 PM
I've got the 'new' tranny in. It definately looks beefier than the one i had. (thanks again, ryan)

Tomorrow i'm tossing the T-case back on tossing new bushings on...shafts...get the weiner v8 bumpin' like i want it and gonna pimp her around town and continue on my quest to actually 4wheel in terrain other than pavement and dirt. Heres how it sits...since it was quite reclusive in its stay at A&M.

Also, thanks goes out to eric for letting me borrow your towbar. The thing tows like a dream. We kept ole red in 3rd and cruised at 70 @ ~2700rpms. I'm gonna make a towbar almost identical to yours. That thing is sweet. (shoulda used a 2" ball though) That also makes me wonder....is a towbar best hooked up to a vehicle in tow wide or narrow? Anyone have opinions?

uglyota
12-24-2003, 01:11 AM
1 7/8" ball is what TSCO had for the tongues.
I'm sure it should be wider, but as it stands, I have the most direct connection from the 6 bolts on the front of my frame (that hold on my bumper) to the tow points. If it were wider, I would have felt comfortable using angle or something, but with a 24" stance, I thought I could go with 2x2x3/16 box and it would still be overbuilt. Glad it worked. Now I wanna see you wheel that mutha&*cka!:cheers:

Violentv8toy
12-24-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by uglyota
Glad it worked. Now I wanna see you roll that mutha&*cka!:cheers:

Thats more like it.

Its no biggie, friend of mine had a 1 7/8s at his uncles. I hope to make it so that its about 29" wide....the hookups will go right above my springs on my drop spring hanger. I got her all ready and about to roll out the driveway, but it got late and i didnt feel like starting it in the dark. Pics coming tomorrow night!