PDA

View Full Version : exhaust?

J Cooper
11-16-2003, 09:58 PM
what should i do? on the road it sounds great and flows good... but on the trail its load, hot and annoys people

robertf03
11-16-2003, 10:55 PM
dual exhaust with manifolds and cheapo mufflers, unless you pay the money for doug thorleys.

hedman and pacesetter are piles of $hit

J Cooper
11-16-2003, 11:03 PM
right now its the stock manifolds with dual exhaust and 2 chamber flowmasters with dumps right before the rear axle...
... so you saying go ahead and buy the headers and throw some cheap quiet mufflers on in and call er done?

stx4wheeler
11-16-2003, 11:11 PM
i am all for loud ****, but i can see where some people think loud on the trail is bad. Put on the headers and go with the flows, and if you wanna get rid of the flows i'm interested.

robertf03
11-16-2003, 11:23 PM
my exhaust quiet all the time with dual turbo mufflers, but when i had glasspacks I had to wear ear plugs on the highway on long trips.

are you planning on a drivetrain swap anytime soon? if so hold off, i had to ditch the old exhaust with the t150/d20 to clear the sm420 d300. Also keep a traction bar in mind if your doing soa

I think i'm going to put two of those edelbrock cylinder shaped mufflers on mine for clearance purposes. edelbrock is also coming out with some headers next year that are a bolt up replacement to the 304,401 and early 360 style manifolds.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/new2004/2004NewProdBroch.pdf

fbronco86
11-16-2003, 11:54 PM
i dont think your jeep can be any louder than my bronco. the noise sucks but it cost money to change it. plus from snatchadams post i dont drive the thing anyway so i guess it does not matter.

J Cooper
11-17-2003, 12:08 AM
i will probably wait till i do the spring over to do it, and yes i need to fix my "all of a suddent" electrical problem. just a minute ago i went to go put my drive shaft back on (from being flat towed) and i sat in the front seat (with key in hand) and pushed on the brake and the radio and ac compressor turned on, i let off and it turned off... fun stuff...

and yes i want something that is quiet at idel and low rpm, but then when you hit it, it shows what it has

and yes, im pretty sure mine is louder

matt
11-17-2003, 12:14 AM
i like it quiet until i hit the throttle. nothing like v8 noise. but don't be stupid and make it extremely loud, just good low sound:texas:

TXsizeK5
11-17-2003, 12:44 AM
Yea just sitting there at Clayton you couldn't hear yourself think. But once on the highway the exhuast didn't vibrate the jeep and it didn't sound bad & according to jimmy the exhuast turn downs made the water underneath the jeep look "really neat"

I have dynomaxes and I really like them, they're real quiet but have a nice low growl when you open it up.

Violentv8toy
11-17-2003, 12:55 AM
If ya go Bryan Muffler, tell em Mario in the POS black toyota sent ya.

They've got pretty good service and guarantee their work. I had them extend the y-pipe a bit after I clearanced the frame and tightened the headers. They even helped me load it on the trailer when it smoked all the wires to the key :)

They've got a good cheap muffler that they put on mine that isnt loud at idle and doesnt really get loud at WOT...yet has a good deep rumble.

robertf03
11-17-2003, 12:56 AM
**** it, if you want loud, i got loud
http://home.off-road.com/~cj5/sp.jpg

Violentv8toy
11-17-2003, 12:58 AM
Robert. Is that a 205?

J Cooper
11-17-2003, 01:06 AM
Robert. Is that a 205?
:rolleyes:

TXsizeK5
11-17-2003, 01:08 AM
I got these , soft when Iwant, loud when I want. cool stuff.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/dc4x4/cutout.jpg

J Cooper
11-17-2003, 01:09 AM
you actually bought those??? must have some spare money sitting around

Violentv8toy
11-17-2003, 01:12 AM
Those dilly's would be gone on my truck first run. If i did that i'd put em so they stick up and not down.

BigRedFord04
11-17-2003, 01:20 AM
i've got pacesetter headers on my truck. they werent exactly cheap, but cheap for coated headers. yes, they were kinda pieces o' chit when i got 'em...bad/sloppy welds inside where all the tubes meet the mounting plate, but that was nothing a dremel and about an hour didnt fix. i noticed a difference immediately. the nice thing about 'em is that they bolted up in about 2 hrs. if you wanna hear loud, come over and we'll get tate to fire up the bronco. he's going to be taking the stereo out because he cant hear it anyway. my truck is not loud by any means, but i prefer it that way. having to listen to the craptastic exhaust some of the Z71 crowd around town would just annoy the piss outta me. i've got true duals w/ borla mufflers...which are the same as Magnaflows (i think). their deal is quiet until you really get into it, and it works a lot better w/ more cubic inches for sound.

Shaggy
11-17-2003, 03:49 AM
ya mine is loud... too loud... i have hooker super competition long tube headers 3" pipe & of course the flows... i thought it was way cool when i got it but it bothers me now... on the highway i have to blast my system to hear anything and idleing through parking garages sets every damn car alarm off in a one mile radius... if i really gave a damn i think i would add another flowmaster in on each side to quiet it down.... but then again who needs 4 mufflers... that would be gey

uglyota
11-17-2003, 09:29 AM
If it were me, I'd call the dyno shop (thedynoshop.com) and get thorleys. Call them and tell them you want the internet special. Best deal on thorley's going. Then let it roar.

But what I think YOU should do is pull that pig out and replace it with 4 squirrels so I can hear myself think when I pull up next to you.:flipoff2:

Will super turbos be quieter than the flows?

I gotta flow and I like the way it sounds. Pretend my engine is a little bigger, then put another one beside it, and you'll have an idea what yours would sound like with Thorleys, dynomax cat, flowmaster, and 3.25 stainless.:D

uglyota
11-17-2003, 10:47 AM
yours is too loud too:flipoff2:

uglyota
11-18-2003, 09:47 AM
loud and annoying? That's only in the mawnin'. You should be up making breakfast for somebody.

Whistle tips, baby!
Woo-wooooooo!

stx4wheeler
11-18-2003, 04:06 PM
i think that for quiet and then good sounding you can go with the flowmaster 70 series instead of the 40's, they have more chambers, my friend has those, with headers, and a 304 in his cj,5, with a cam, and full length exhaust, thing sounds sweet. Not to loud at idle, and nice going down the road, makes that cam sound real nice. My friends is quiter than your ,with the stuff i meantioned earlier.

and i hope you are talking about a 3.25" single exhaust, cause dual 3.25 would release to much back pressure.