PDA

View Full Version : Rear window Wiper for Blazer...is it possible???

Redfox0099
11-17-2003, 10:58 PM
I have had this idea for a while and wanted some opinions on it.
I HATE :mad: the fact my Blazer doesn't have a rear wiper and I thought of an idea. What are the chances that you could take a rear window wiper from an 80's style 4 Runner (the ones with the fiberglass backs like a Blazer) and drill a hole through the shell of the Blazer and mount it?

Any thoughts, pro or con?

BigRedFord04
11-18-2003, 12:02 AM
just roll the window down. if you care about water inside now i promise you wont after some time spent in TAMOR. my windows have been down for most of the rain the past few days....partially cuz i forget, and partially cuz when i realize it i just dont want to get wet rolling them up.

TXsizeK5
11-18-2003, 12:11 AM
I second what Austin says... if anything just pull the carpet and seat in the rear and bedline it... like so.

that way you can keep the window open or the top off in the rain and not really care.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/dc4x4/pic994.jpg

BigRedFord04
11-18-2003, 12:16 AM
inside bedliner is da shnizzle. vinyl flooring sucks too just b.c. of the moisture trapping insulation under it that will rust your floorboards out from under you. carpet gets fooked up anyway the 1st time you get it really wet...i.e. (i picked a blazer pic just for you ;) ) one of the 1st times i ever rode w/ this crazy SOB we got water over our knees :D

stx4wheeler
11-18-2003, 01:09 AM
and from the few times i have met krebs it is prolly the cheap wal mart bed coating duplicolor, but hey whatever works. and yeha i hate that on my bronco's to, i think it could be done. i would prolly find the motor and wiring from a jeep tj they got those nice quick disconect wiring and hose for the water:D

eight
11-18-2003, 01:15 AM
The cheap walmart stuff sucks. My stuff was all sandblasted before I coated it with duplicolor and it started falling off soon. Spray paint would hold up better. But I don't think krebs has any coating in his.

Shaggy
11-18-2003, 03:16 AM
mine is superlined... it is neato

Redfox0099
11-18-2003, 08:04 AM
I'm sorry, you must of missed the fact this is the Tech and shop section and not the "I think your idea is gay" and I am going to bash it section. I would appreciate it if you do not have anything critically sound or informational to say on this post to keep it to yourself or share it in the joke section. I posted in this section because I thought people would give informed answers to the technical feasibility of the idea. I do appreciate your thought on the rear deflector though but that is not going to happen.

BigRedFord04
11-18-2003, 08:05 AM
welcome to tamor newbie. if we think your idea is :rainbow: we're going to tell you about it, and thats just how things go. it never goes away. dont take offense to it, take away from this that everyone thinks its a bad idea.

jerryg79
11-18-2003, 08:11 AM
maybe you should check out ColoradoK5.com they maybe a little more accepting of your idea.....

especially since the one active person in our club with a blazer doesn't even use the damn top!

Redfox0099
11-18-2003, 09:17 AM
OK, I got the point. Thanks for the advice, will drive with window down or something to that effect.

Thanks and Gig 'em!! :p

AgDieseler
11-18-2003, 09:34 AM
It would just probably be more trouble than it's worth.

Doug Krebs
11-18-2003, 09:46 AM
There are these kick ass spoiler looking things that you can bolt on to the top and it shoots air down the back of the window/tailgate. People say they help with keeping the windshield clean and keep the fumes out when you have the window down.

I'll tell you what I'll just sell you my blazer for $5,000 then you can beat the **** out of it and just laugh.

fbronco86
11-18-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Doug Krebs
There are these kick ass spoiler looking things that you can bolt on to the top and it shoots air down the back of the window/tailgate. People say they help with keeping the windshield clean and keep the fumes out when you have the window down.

I'll tell you what I'll just sell you my blazer for $5,000 then you can beat the **** out of it and just laugh.

i have heard mixed views on the spoiler's sometimes they work and sometimes they dont.

Redfox0099
11-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Just curious, does anyone know where a rear wiper assembly from a 80's model 4 Runner might be lying around? (Besides the obvious answer of JUNKYARD ) :flipoff2:

I though you all knowing and powerfully minded higher beings
(ie: non-newbies) might have some unknown physic power that has yet to be bestoyed on me because of my lack of time in this club) :D

uglyota
11-18-2003, 10:36 AM
if you find one, you might wanna pull a lot of electronics and give it a dry run before you drill a hole in your tailgate. I think if you just hook up 12 volts to that thing, it'll go real fast and probably break something.

That gets me thinking...did you say you were mounting it in fiberglass? That might be the reason they didn't offer one...you might want to reinforce it big time before you let ol' Toyody torque on it :D

Redfox0099
11-18-2003, 10:45 AM
If I am not mistaken from the one I saw on a 4 Runner that gave me the idea it was mounted into the top inside of the back cover through the fiberglass top. It had a switch up front that ran the wiper just like any other application therefore if I got the wiring harness from the front I don't see it being a problem.

Matt Conlee
11-18-2003, 11:10 AM
can we try and keep the posts in the tech threads tech related. We have the kitchen for a reason.

jerryg79
11-18-2003, 11:11 AM
i still think it would be easier just to replace the bottom seals around the tailgate window and just roll it down and let them clean it off.

Where are yougoing to put the wiper motor anyway?

Redfox0099
11-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Snatch Adams

Where are yougoing to put the wiper motor anyway? [/B]

As I said in the post before the 4 Runner has it mounted to the roof inside the back hatch and the arm comes through the top and sweeps down (hence the pic I inserted). :D

If it is raining hard at all it is ill advised to roll the back window down, I have a lot of things in the back of my daily driver that I wouldn't want to get wet.

Graystroke
11-18-2003, 02:29 PM
What kind of wipers were used on the the late model blazers (or did they have one?) May try that foe an option. I use to have one on my Range Rover until it stopped working, then I removed the arm. It was similary mounted. My truck has a clam shell type opening in the back. There is probably some type of parking fixture for the wiper as well to keep the wiper from springing inward when the window is rolled down. Mine had two settings: push the leaver one way and it would wipe 5 times and park the other would be on a 10 sec intermittent setting. I never really used it so I don't miss it, plus I have a rear defogger, so that helps in place of the missing wiper.

Redfox0099
11-18-2003, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Graystroke
[B]What kind of wipers were used on the the late model blazers

They do have one but it is mounted on the tailgate, the place on the body style I have that the window is located at and therefore would not work.

stx4wheeler
11-18-2003, 04:18 PM
he wants to mount it in the top, not the tailgate, do like i said earlier, and check out the ones from a tj, it also goes into the fiberglass top, also remember you might have to mount it in a more centered location or use a bigger arm whether you go with the one from a 4-runner or anything else cause your blazer window is wider and deeper than most, if you find the stuff to do it i will help you, or if you find it cheap somewhere and arent sure how it will hold up left me know cause i am more than willing to drill holes and try it in my pos 78 bronco top. but it is still at home.

Redfox0099
11-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Found this on ebay for $10, looks like it might work :
wiper motor is in good working order with wiring harnass, and is out of a 1989 toyota 4runner.