PDA

View Full Version : Scout Dana 44s

Chadnutz
05-25-2002, 06:51 PM
I now own Scout f/r Dana 44s. Does anyone know the inner axle length of them so I can decide whether the shafts I ordered for the 10 bolt can be used (also 30 spline). I also got 4 wheels and 4 used thornbirds for $40. They are really street worthy, but I needed the wheels and it will be nice to have some spares if I get 35s. I'm going to have 4.88 gears and I will use those tires to decide if I can have 35s or just 33s. I'm on the highway every day and I need to be able to use overdrive. Damn I hate having a 4 banger.

BMFScout, chime in on this one. I'd also like for you to come over and check em out and tell me how to to Hy-Steer and spring over if you get time.

Thanks

BMFScout
05-25-2002, 08:19 PM
I have some shafts in the shop I will measure them and get back to you. I am in Plano for the summer, but I will be coming down a few weekends and will let you know. The hysteer is pretty easy on those, you have two options. Travelall knuckles from a 74-75 full width front 44, they came on travelall's and pickups, then you can keep the scout outers. Or you can get chevy knuckles and convert everything over doing the ford/chevy frankenstein setup. It really isn't that hard to do, just need to find the part #'s from people that have done it and hunt down the parts. Flem-the-jew had a good site for hysteer stuff, maybe he will post it here. The springover part isn't that tough either just more involved than other axles. The pumpkin side must be ground down so that a perch can sit next to the pumpkin. Also it would be nice to twist the axle to get a better driveline angle and to add caster for better driveability. I might be able to help you later on this part, I am in the early stages of designing a jig to twist the knuckles. This is an example of what I am talking about
http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/twistaxl.htm

Chadnutz
05-25-2002, 08:54 PM
I have all the 10 bolt out stuff. Could I use that? If so, the rear would be 5 lug and the front would be 6 lug. :(

robertf03
05-25-2002, 10:13 PM
hey nuts, if both the 10 bolt knuckles are flat top, and the spindles are '77 or older, then you can mix and match parts to get flat top 5 on 5.5. you would have to change the stub shaft on the scout 44 also. IH 44's are sort of beefed up dana 30s

You have to get:

- flat top knuckles from a chevy or Wagoneer
- spindles from a chevy or wagoneer that are 77 or earlier (they use different size bearings on later models)
- wheel hubs and bearings off a ~76-91 Ford 4x4. theres a odd ball year or two in there somewhere that used a flanged front axle instead of hub lockouts, so watch out.
- brake rotors for same range ford
- brake calipers and brackets for a Chevy / Wagoneer
- wheel studs and lugnuts for a ford (not the same as chevy or Wagoneer, same as CJ and Scout I think)
- stub shaft off a real dana 44 (pretty much anything except for IH)
- hub lockouts off of anything with a dana 44 thats internally mounted (again, just about anything except for IH, even TTB Ford's use the same part #)

the scout wheel hub might be the same as the ford hubs, avoid dodge stuff, it fits the slogan "different"

Chadnutz
05-26-2002, 06:26 PM
Screw all that. I think I'd be better off eliminating all of that cost and just getting the damn thing on there. Landon will be proud of this choice. Now I just have to order a drag link. I'll keep building up that 10 bolt and sell it or something. Maybe I could put 4.10s in it and sell it to my Mazda friend because he won't be able to handle the fact that my truck might be better than his.

Crap I need:
4.88s Detroits f/r
Manual Locking Hubs
Toyota 5" lift
33s or 35s

Krawler68
05-27-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Chadnutz
Screw all that. I think I'd be better off eliminating all of that cost and just getting the damn thing on there. Landon will be proud of this choice. Now I just have to order a drag link. I'll keep building up that 10 bolt and sell it or something. Maybe I could put 4.10s in it and sell it to my Mazda friend because he won't be able to handle the fact that my truck might be better than his.

Crap I need:
4.88s Detroits f/r
Manual Locking Hubs
Toyota 5" lift
33s or 35s

Would that be Jason? and on list of things you need where is the mention of a real rig? :D

Chadnutz
05-27-2002, 12:59 PM
You can spout off all you want, but what it boils down to is this:

The key things that make up a 4x4 are:

Tires
Springs
Lockers
Stuff that won't break
Reduction
Torque
Wheelbase

While I won't have reduction or torque, I'll have the stuff most others have for the time being. Maybe when I graduate I'll be able to make a rig that will please you, Doug. For now, I'd just like to have some fun.

Krawler68
05-27-2002, 01:13 PM
Join the club on the fun issue... my comments weren't meant to piss you off, just make fun of your now desperate ramblimngs on building up the Mazda... Is it Jason that you're gonna sell the 10 bolt to?

Chadnutz
05-27-2002, 02:34 PM
It is passenger side drop. Hensel doesn't want it. Isn't Kelly's driver's side as well? I need a 30 spline 10 bolt diff for it. I wasn't mad either. I don't even care anymore. I know I would be better off with something else, but this is my first vehicle. I have a lot of time and money invested in it, and I would rather build the Mazda up than anything else. Not only that, but it will be one of a kind and IF this whole deal ever gets completed maybe you people will be more impressed because I will go where no Mazda has ever been before. It isn't just another Jeep or Toyota. Someone has to hang their balls on the line to keep this sport interesting.

Krawler68
05-28-2002, 08:03 AM
I have actually seen several SAS mazdas on the internet over the last year and a half. I also didn't mean Hensel... I meant Jason (the other Mazda driver from San Antone; Brett's friend). I'd prolly go to the 10 bolt over a Scout 44... but that's because of the reasons that Rob identified: it's a glorified D30.

Chadnutz
05-28-2002, 05:35 PM
Brett is the one with the Mazda. Jason has an F-250.
Now you peckers tell me the 10 bolt is better. Sigh.
I don't care, I'll stick with it. If stuff breaks down the road I will
replace it with better stuff.

Jackasic
05-28-2002, 09:21 PM
Don't worry about it, the Scout 44 will treat you just fine. It is stronget than a 30, despite what the all knowing have to say. It has a thicker pumpkin, stronger ring and pinion, bigger bearings, larger carrier, thicker tubes and stronger shafts. How all of that is "a glorified D30" is beyond me.

Remember who you are taking advice from. These guys want to run 39" and so it probably would not be a great choice. For what you are doing it will work out fine. I have a Dana 30 under my 5500# Scout and she is still together.

Just depends how you wheel it. Drive it like a sane human and it will be fine.

You can convert to internally spined hubs if you want, bear in mind that at the time it was made that was great technology. Most of the axles listed are from newer vehicals.

It is not that hard to do a spring over and there are a varielty of options. Try searching the Binder Bulletin (http://www.binderbulletin.org) or the IH section of POR. Best of luck on your project.

robertf03
05-29-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Jackasic

You can convert to internally spined hubs if you want, bear in mind that at the time it was made that was great technology. Most of the axles listed are from newer vehicals.

hmmm, the haymaker square riots that resulted in IH's demise were in 1980 right?

1976 Jeep cherokee, 1978 ford anything 4wd, anything chevy 4wd

All of those were before that chit

internal splined hubs are a jeep (and ford/chevy/dodge) thing. you wouldnt understand